S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

Central League

Article posted:

A first half Brandon Thomas-Asante penalty gave Salford City reserves a second Central League win away at Scunthorpe United.

In a clichéd game of two halves, Salford notched themselves in front before managing the game in the second period, restricting Scunthorpe to long-range efforts which didn’t really test Nick Hayes.

Richie Towell managed an hour on his return from injury, while there was precious game time too for the likes of Alex Denny, Tylor Golden, Sam Fielding and George Boyd. 

The Ammies set the precedent early with some vigorous pressing on a bobbly surface, controlling possession and forcing Scunthorpe into errors. The opening 10 minutes didn’t yield any clear cut chances, but Salford went ahead with the first real opportunity. Luke Burgess showed good footwork to burst into the area and was hacked down, with Thomas-Asante burying the resulting penalty tight into the bottom right hand corner.

Moments later a long ball forward dropped into a hesitant Scunthorpe backline, which eventually ended with Salford being awarded a free kick for a back pass. Quick thinking from Thomas-Asante saw him nudge a pass left for Mo Touray who bent a shot into the side netting.

Denny, operating in a right-back position, played a good ball in that Burgess nodded down into Touray, who lashed wide. The influential Burgess was involved again a minute later as his forward run on the right was halted unfairly. Towell slipped the free kick right for Bruno Andrade who crossed in for Touray, but his flick was saved by the Scunthorpe stopper.

Chances seemed to be coming a couple at a time, and just before the half hour mark Andrade flicked a pass over his marker before hitting a low shot that was smothered and cleared. The next minute Golden sent a cross in from the left that was threatening to drop inside the far post. In the event it didn’t, but only needed a touch to double the lead.

With 10 minutes remaining in the half Touray found space in the left-hand channel, but his shot was pushed over the bar by the goalkeeper.

Into the second half and Scunthorpe offered a little more, putting Salford under some pressure but unable to find a way past Hayes. Fielding was instrumental in denying Jordan Hallam before initiating an attack himself. A marauding run by the former Barnsley man opened up the home midfield, with possession switched to the right for Burgess. The midfielder took a couple of touches to set himself, but the resulting shot from a tight angle was lifted over the bar.

The story of the second half was more turnovers in possession and half chances until the 83rd minute. Thomas-Asante shifted possession down the right to Andrade who took a shot on in the area, but could only watch the rising effort come off the underside of the bar.

Not the easiest of surfaces in Lincolnshire, but a second win of the campaign in the Central League for the reserves, and some promising performances from the Development Squad prospects.