S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club


Article posted:

Graham Alexander, Swindon Town, Salford City 2-3 Swindon TownSalford City lost against Swindon Town by the odd goal in five as Richie Wellens’ side took three points from the last club of his playing career.

Adam Rooney scored from the penalty spot early on after a mistake by Steven Benda saw the young German foul the forward. However the visitors were only behind for six minutes before Eoin Doyle equalised.

League Two’s top scorer then scored a penalty of his own after Liam Hogan was deemed to have blocked a Michael Doughty shot with his hand. Jerry Yates then gave Swindon a vital two-goal cushion after Chris Neal had denied both Doughty and Doyle with 10 minutes to go.

It proved the difference as Rooney scored a second penalty with the last kick of the game after Jake Jervis and Brandon Asante both missed good chances.

After the game Graham Alexander admitted he felt his players could have given a bit more, but a more clinical Swindon deserved the win.

“[It was a] great start for us, I thought first half we played well, we thought we managed the considerable threat they had.

“The goals they’ve been scoring this season they were obviously going to be a threat, but I thought we didn’t really give them anything apart from the goal which was our mistake.

“The second half we didn’t really get going until we were 3-1 down, I thought we didn’t get to the same levels of commitment as in committing to the action.

“We allowed them to gain momentum without causing us major problems in front of our goal, but we didn’t do enough with the ball ourselves to win the game today so I don’t think we can begrudge the scoreline, I don’t think we should have been the team that won today.

“More commitment in those areas and actions, we might have got a valuable point but we didn’t do that, we have to take it on the chin and make sure we improve for the next game.

“These games between two good teams,  they’re going to be fine lines and like you say I thought we had the opportunities, certainly in the first half and then the last 10-15 minutes of the second.

“If you take them a little bit earlier, the second goal was right on the full time whistle, so that’s disappointing because time’s run out.”

It’s another break for The Ammies from league action when they travel to Burton Albion on Tuesday night for the Emirates FA Cup First Round replay. 

Then it’s back to The Peninsula Stadium for the visit of Macclesfield Town next Saturday.