S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Match Report

Article posted:


Salford City’s 2018-2019 FA Youth Cup campaign got underway with a 3-0 win over Bootle, although the young Ammies needed extra-time to book their place in the Third Qualifying Round. The draw was made on Friday morning and Salford will travel to Hyde United (week commencing 15/10/18). A brace from substitute Clayton Gorman and a Will Shepherd free-kick finally overcame stubborn opponents who finished the evening with just 8 men.

A crowd of 240 assembled at the Peninsula Stadium on a fine evening for football and the pattern of the game was soon established. Salford had the majority of possession from early on, yet an eye certainly had to kept on opponents who had the capability to break quickly. The proceedings would become a little physical and a keenly contested tie seemed to be on the cards.

Chances were a little slow to materialise but the Ammies very nearly went ahead in the 16th minute. A quick attack saw Anointed Chukwu advance before slipping a pass to the left for Zack Woodcock. From inside the box the home number 10 struck a low effort that hit the keeper’s right-hand post before going behind.

Close for Salford and a couple of minutes later Kamar Moncrieffe cut in from the left on a diagonal run that took him to the edge of the box. A low strike on goal followed but Bootle keeper Ellis Mooney would put in an impressive performance and he made the save despite the close attention of Woodcock.

Bootle’s first real opportunity of the night came just before the mid-point of the first half but Cameron Grant headed over the bar when well placed. At the other end Shepherd delivered a corner from the right, with Salford skipper Sam Adetiloye rising to head just wide of the target.

This was a good spell for Salford and Adam Barthram did well on the left before getting in a cross that Woodcock could only direct wide of goal. Emmanuel Ogunrinde was the next to threaten, crossing from the right only for Woodcock to be thwarted by Bootle keeper Mooney. This time the ball went loose but Shepherd drove his shot wide of the post.

The Ammies were well on top but Bootle had a great chance to open the scoring on the half-hour. Brandon Lockett’s attempt to pass inside his own half was blocked, with James McKetterick showing a turn of pace to break clear through the middle. A well-struck low effort followed but George Neave kept his side on level terms, getting down to his left to push the ball just outside the upright

A splendid save from Neave and his side were soon back on the attack. Ogunrinde’s pass down the right was picked up by full-back Joel Barlow who swung a cross into the middle. Woodcock, with back to goal, hooked in a clever effort from 12 yards and Mooney had to stretch to his right to push that one away.

Ten minutes before half-time Lockett was fouled outside Bootle’s penalty area and it was Barthram who lined up the free-kick. From 25 yards out the effort was bound for goal but Mooney was there again, moving quickly to his right to push the ball clear.

There was little respite for Bootle’s defence and in the 38th minute Moncrieffe worked his way into the box on the left following a Salford free-kick. It was a decent position but the Salford winger could only hit a pea-roller that was easily gathered by Mooney.


An entertaining first-half with outstanding keeping a both ends denying the crowd goals. The second half – and extra-time – would grow a little tetchy as Salford found it more difficult to break down a side that got men behind the ball and were willing to put bodies on the line.

Six minutes after the restart Shepherd put in a decent cross but Adetiloye’s header dropped over the bar. Soon after that Barlow pushed forward on the right and possession fell for Moncrieffe on the edge of the area, just left-of-centre. There was a little time and space for him and after adjusting floated in a right-footer that dropped high and wide of the far post.

A couple of openings for the home side but play became a little scrappy for a while and Bootle had dug in. Youth team manager Jamie Russell introduced Douglas James-Taylor for Chukwu midway through the second half, looking to freshen up his sides attacking options.

With just over 20 minutes to play a corner dropped for Moncrieffe inside the 6-yard box but Mooney was still alert, blocking bravely at the Salford man’s feet.

In the 75th minute a Shepherd effort from distance didn’t have enough zip to test Mooney too much. Within seconds Woodcock tried a left-footer from the edge of the box – it was better, yet once again Bootle’s keeper was equal to it.

The visitors had soaked up quite a bit of pressure and ridden their luck at times but continued to look dangerous on the break. With 14 minutes left Joe Cunningham’s cross from the right was met by a shot that was blocked. The ball spun invitingly for Will McGlade who found a good finish, drilling past Neave from an angle on the left. For a second or two Bootle and their supporters celebrated but the assistant’s flag had been raised before McGlade took his shot.

A timely reminder about concentration for the Ammies and they resumed their search for what – at this stage – could well be the winner. In the 83rd minute substitute James-Taylor got into the box on the right before Ogunrinde clipped a pass inside. The ball almost fell for Moncrieffe but a defender got in just before him to concede a corner.

Within another 60 seconds Salford carved out their best chance of the second half following a surging run from Ogunrinde on the right. A low cross evaded just about everyone in the middle but Shepherd was in space towards the far post. This was a gilt-edged opportunity but a low, powerful effort was blocked by the crouching Mooney – another good stop from the Bootle custodian.

A late Salford corner wasn’t cleared by the visiting defence but although James-Taylor stretched to get his head to the bouncing ball, Mooney had moved to his left to clutch it out of the air.

In the final minute of normal time Clayton Gorman came on for Woodcock and that change would pay dividends later. For now though there were half-a-dozen minutes of time added on to negotiate. During the 4th of those a great delivery from Shepherd on the right was glanced wide of the far post by a stretching James-Taylor. Had he not got that faint touch the ball may well have dropped for Moncrieffe who was unmarked, the but this latest chance had gone the same was as its predecessors.

Right at the end of injury time James-Taylor, with back to goal, flicked on a header that dropped onto the top of the crossbar and out of play.

That summed up 90 minutes of frustration for the Ammies who had been denied by Mooney’s quality and the graft of his defenders. The  prospect of 30 minutes energy-sapping extra time beckoned – it would be prove to be quite eventful.


The Ammies continued where they had left off, putting Bootle under pressure and hoping for a change of luck in front of goal. An early corner was met by Will Hall – impressive at the back for Salford – but once again Bootle cleared their lines.

Bootle’s forays forward had grown increasingly rare, but they won a free-kick in the 98th minute. It must been almost 40 yards out and just left-of-centre but Aidan Noon fancied his chances. His effort on goal soared high into the air before dipping significantly, yet not enough to worry Neave in the home goal.

The goal Salford deserved finally arrived a minute or so later and it was Ogunrinde who set it up, scampering forward on the right before playing a low ball into the middle. The ball found its way to the edge of the box where substitute GORMAN kept his composure to stroke in a left-footed effort that beat Mooney’s despairing dive to the right.

Ogunrinde immediately made way for Alex Doyle and the substitute almost made a telling contribution of his own. A firm, low pass to the left found Moncrieffe who may have just nutmegged and opponent before hitting in a rising drive that Mooney managed to push onto the underside of his bar. The ball dropped down almost onto the line, but it was a blue shirt that got there first and Bootle’s hopes were still alive and kicking.

It would prove to be a little too much of the ‘kicking’ and within a minute of Mooney’s latest save his side were down to 10 men. A multi-player altercation developed on Bootle’s left, inside their half, and the referee sorted it out before booking Doyle & Joe Carroll. It was the second one of the evening for the Bootle man and his side now had a numerical disadvantage to contend with.

During the minute added to the first half of extra-time Shepherd found Gorman on the right and his low cross into the middle looked promising until Joe Cunningham slid in to concede a corner.


Bootle keeper Mooney was booked during the first minute of the second half after he kicked the ball – with some venom – towards the assistant who had awarded Salford a corner. The keeper disagreed with that decision but was fortunate his kick didn’t hit the official – a red card would have been poor reward for such an impressive evening’s work.

The lesson wasn’t learned by his team-mates and in the 110th minute Will Quayle received his second yellow card of the evening.

It’s probably fair to say that Bootle’s self-discipline had deserted them to an extent and 9 men became 8 just a minute or so later. James-Taylor’s speedy break threatened to take him into the area until Cunningham curtailed his progress with a wild kick. The punishment was doubled when SHEPHERD hit the 20-yard free-kick, clipping it off the bottom of the bar and into the net.

It was a case of damage limitation now for the 8 men but Salford added a 3rd goal 7 minutes from the end of extra time. Marcus Smith’s run into space on the left was finished off with a low cross and GORMAN arrived to tuck home his 2nd of the night.

James-Taylor picked up Doyle’s pass before hitting a rising effort outside Mooney’s left-hand angle of post and bar. After that Lockett hit a low 20-yarder from left-of-centre and the effort seemed destined for the net until it took a deflection off a defender.

The corner came to nothing but the job was long done as far as the Ammies were concerned.


A very solid start to Salford City’s FA Youth Cup campaign and they now go into the hat for the final qualifying round, to be played week commencing 15th October. This game could – and probably should – have been won without the need for extra time. On the other side of the coin Bootle had provided determined and sometimes tricky opposition. Had McGlade’s late strike stood we could now be looking back on an evening of disappointment.

The Ammies deserved their win , played some good football and created a host of chances over two eventful hours of play. In the end Bootle pressed the self-destruct button but the game had probably slipped away from them by the time they went down to 9 men.

The Third Qualifying Round draw sees Salford travel to Hyde United with the date to be confirmed (week commencing 15/10/18).

SALFORD CITY: 1. George Neave, 2.Joel Barlow, 3.Adam Barthram,  4.Brandon Lockett, 5.Sam Adetiloye (c), 6. Will Hall, 7. Emmanuel Ogunrinde, 8. Will Shepherd, 9. Anointed Chukwu, 10. Zack Woodcock, 11. Kamar Moncrieffe
Subs: Sam Wright, Douglas James-Taylor (for Chuwu, 66), Marcus Smith (for Moncrieffe, 115), Clayton Gorman (for Woodcock, 90), Alex Doyle (for Ogunrinde, 99)

BOOTLE: 1. Ellis Mooney, 2. Lewis Gell, 14. Jamie Barnes, 5. Joe Cunningham, 15. Jack Hughes, 4. Aidan Noon, 6. Dan Tallant, 3, Joe Carroll, 9. James McKetterick, 11. Will McGlade, 10. Cameron Mason
Subs: Sam Cox, Will Quayle, Ronin McCall, James Francis

Attendance: 240