S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

Academy 92

Article posted:

The cities of York and Salford collided in FA competitions for the second time this season with the Red Rose coming out on top, courtesy of Mani Ogunrinde’s first-half goal. This was an accomplished performance from Jamie Russell and Lewis Craig’s young charges against a side noticeably superior to those already overcome during this season’s FA Youth Cup campaign.

Travel writer H.V. Morton once referred to York as the ‘Queen of English Cities” and on a blue-skied, autumnal day it was easy to see what he meant. By the time kick-off had arrived at 7pm we had perfect conditions for football at Bootham Crescent, and Salford City’s youth side started encouragingly.

Some nice passing football kept the Minstermen pegged back for five minutes or so but the pattern of the game soon began to change. York looked to be a powerful, mobile outfit and were soon putting the visiting defence under real pressure. Their first real opening presented itself right at the end of that opening five minute spell as full-back Joe Kemp swung in a cross from deep and wide on the right. Noah Jackson got up on the far angle of the box and Flynn McNaughton latched onto his header down, turning to drill a low effort across goal and inches wide of the far post.

The home side were building a head of steam and after nine minutes left-back Zac Lawrence – who would pose a threat all evening – whipped a corner from the right into the near post. Salford keeper Marcel Wusiewicz did well under pressure to punch that awkward delivery clear but the Minstermen soon won another corner on their right. This time Lawrence played it short for Charlie Ward to drop a cross towards the edge of the six-yard box. Big centre-forward Ryan Edmondson was on the end of that one but the ball came to him at a difficult height and he could only hook an effort over the bar.

York were definitely getting on top and on the quarter-hour Ammies skipper Sam Adetiloye conceded a free-kick just outside the area. Lawrence it was who lined up the shot but from 19 yards out and on the right-hand side of the ‘D’ could only slam a pacy effort overt the bar.

Salford were having to defend in numbers but they very nearly went behind in the 17th minute. Edmondson, a player with first-team experience under his belt, chased a long, right-of-centre ball into the area before sliding a low eight-yarder towards goal. The effort spun off the feet of keeper Wusiewicz and luck was with him as the ball came back off the base of his left-hand post and away to safety. York were soon pressing again however and Aston Harrison’s low ball into the area found McNaughton whose angled shot went just wide of Wusiewicz’ right-hand upright.

A couple of narrow escapes for Salford but their first real opportunity of the afternoon came along just a couple of minutes later. Zack Woodcock nudged a neat pass into the right-hand side of the area for Ogunrinde to chase only for York skipper Josh Rogerson to move across and concede a corner. Dan Thompson-Edwards delivered the set-piece from the right and the ball fell for the incoming Alex Doyle who could only lift a first-time 15-yarder over the target.

That chance ushered in a decent little spell for the Ammies who slowly but surely found a strong foothold in a game that their opponents had briefly threatened to take by the scruff of the neck. Just before the midpoint of the first-half Kamar Moncrieffe’s ball to the left found full-back Henry Eadie and the subsequent cross was dangerous, forcing home keeper Ryan Whitley to stretch and claw the ball away from the lurking Ogunrinde.

Moncrieffe was involved in Salford’s next attacking move just a few minutes later. He seems to glide across the turf at times and here knocked in a floated, diagonal ball from wide on the left that the stretching Anointed Chukwu just failed to connect with.

Most of York’s more threatening moves involved Lawrence and he delivered another testing corner from the right that just about flicked to safety off the top of a Salford head. Nine minutes from half-time he tried his luck with a 30-yard right-of-centre free-kick but once again couldn’t keep the shot down.

The Minstermen had dominated chunks of the first-half but Salford had looked dangerous too at times. In the 38th minute Chukwu and Ogunrinde almost combined to slice open the home defence but after the latter’s cheeky back-heel from the line York just about managed to clear their lines.

The goal that would settle this tie came five minutes before the interval and came from a player who is becoming accustomed to scoring crucial FA Youth Cup goals. At first there seemed little threat as York defender Jake Watson collected a pass in the right-back position but he seemed to slip a little and Ogunrinde was on him in a flash. Salford’s mercurial number 11 nicked the ball away before accelerating towards the area where Whitley advanced to meet him. A little shimmy took Ogunrinde around the York keeper and he was left with the relatively simple task of lifting a close range finish into the net.

A slice of bad luck for York City and it seemed to knock the wind out of their sails for a little while. They picked themselves up as the half-time whistle approached and Edmondson cut inside from the right in the final minute to give himself a sight of goal. Once again though he couldn’t make it count as a low shot that lacked pace and accuracy passed harmlessly wide of Wusiewicz’ left-hand post. The final opening of an entertaining first-half went to Salford as Moncrieffe touched back a pass from the edge of the box for Thompson-Edwards to hit a low 25-yarder straight at Whitley.


Alex Doyle Salford City

As might be expected York came out for the second half in search of a quick equaliser and might have had one within two minutes of the restart. Kemp lofted in a cross from the right but the unmarked Edmondson could only plant a 12-yard header straight at Wusiewicz, with the keeper making a routine save.

At the other end, just a couple of minutes later, Ogunrinde almost extended Salford’s lead in spectacular fashion. A low pass to the right sent Moncrieffe towards the line and he pulled back a lobbed cross that fell towards Ogunrinde, 16-yards-out and centrally positioned. A nicely executed low volley looked destined for the net but in the end the ambitious effort flashed just wide of Whitley’s right-hand post.

The second half was already ebbing and flowing and in the 51st minute Edmondson got up to flick on a header that sent McNaughton clear on the right. York’s number 10 played a low ball across the six-yard box but Wusiewicz got down to smother the danger as Edmondson closed in behind him.

Back at the open terraced end of Bootham Crescent Moncrieffe was again teasing York’s defence, this time darting past Kemp before pulling back a low ball towards the edge of the area. Woodcock almost capped a hard working performance with a goal but his low shot flew just wide of Whitley’s right-hand upright.

The Ammies were doing well, denying York space and possession of the ball, closing their opponents down quickly and effectively while all the time probing for opportunities when the chance presented itself. York were struggling to retain the ball yet they almost snatched an equaliser in the 64th minute. Lawrence let fly with a near 30-yard effort from wide on the left and Wusiewicz, down to his right, could only help the ball onto the post. The rebound dropped back inside but despite a stretch from Edmondson he couldn’t get his head to a ball that was quickly punted clear by a white-shirted defender. The danger wasn’t over yet and within seconds Kemp’s pass found Aaron Haswell whose left-footed cross from the right was almost touched home by the lunging Edmondson but the ball bounced narrowly wide of the far post instead.

McNaughton had looked lively for most of the evening and on 69 minutes cut inside from the right, past the otherwise solid Markell Foulds only to be stopped dead in his tracks by a superb challenge inside the box from the covering Eadie.

York’s attacking efforts were growing more fitful but with 15 minutes left Rogerson’s punted cross from deep on the right was met by the head of Edmondson. The looping effort was on course to drop under the bar until Wusiewicz stretched to tip the ball over for a corner on York’s left. Again Lawrence whipped in a delivery but Wusiewicz was there to thwart Edmondson again, clutching the ball out of the air just before the York number nine could get his head to it.

The Minstermen pressed forward during the final 10 minutes and Ward’s pass to the right picked out McNaughton whose low, angled 18-yarder was stopped and held by Wusiewicz.

Nine minutes from time York won a free-kick wide on the left and Lawrence played it short to Ward before collecting the return and slamming in a cross that nobody in the middle could get a touch on. Lawrence pushed forward himself next, turning inside from his left flank before hitting a low attempt that Edmondson tried – and failed – to poke goalwards before it ran out of play beyond the far post.

Half-chances for York but time was running out, along with their patience. Rogerson was booked with three minutes to play for petulantly kicking the ball away after a throw-in was – correctly, as it happened – awarded against him.

The Minstermen huffed and puffed their way through the final two minutes of ‘normal’ time and the first five minutes of added time but they couldn’t upset a well organised and increasingly composed Salford side. In the sixth and final minute of injury time Kemp’s ball into the area from the right was desperately contested before Edmondson’s prodded effort was deflected wide for a corner. One last time Lawrence delivered – this time from the right – but McNaughton could only loft the ball over and Salford’s place in the first round proper was booked.


With absolutely no disrespect to the teams beaten prior to this round, Salford faced their biggest challenge so far this evening against a very decent, well-drilled York City side. For a little while during the game’s first quarter it seemed possible that the Minstermen might take a firm hold of proceedings only for their opponents to dig their heels in, pinch a goal and successfully defend their lead from that point.

The home side might well feel aggrieved at going in behind following an enterprising first half but it was Salford who got onto the score-sheet and then performed admirably after the break.

The work ethic, teamwork and increasing composure demonstrated by this young Salford side was a pleasure to witness and there were quite a few outstanding performance in a team where every player did his job well. The band of travelling supporters who applauded their side off at the end had been treated to a good game of football – ironic though perhaps that a goal of individual brilliance should cap a great team performance.

The first round proper of the FA Youth Cup lies ahead, the stage at which League One and League Two clubs join the draw – we’ll find out on Friday who Salford City will face as their Youth Cup adventure rolls on…