S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Shrewsbury Town
Steve Arnold
Josh Emmanuel
Mat Sadler (c)
Omar Beckles
Greg Docherty
Fejiri Okenabirhie

Angol '66

Aaron Amadi-Holloway

John-Lewis '90

Luke Waterfall
Yellow card for Luke Waterfall
Josh Laurent
Ollie Norburn
1 goals for Ollie Norburn
Anthony Grant
Salford City FC
Chris Neal
Scott Wiseman
Ibou Touray
Carl Piergianni
Lois Maynard
Adam Rooney (c)
1 goals for Adam Rooney (c)
Danny Lloyd

Hogan '75

Danny Whitehead
Dennis Politic
Yellow card for Dennis Politic

Walker '62

Nathan Pond
Rory Gaffney

Rodney '82

Joel Coleman
Lee Angol
James Bolton
Lenell John-Lewis
Alex Gilliead
Abo Eisa
Ryan Sears
Max Crocombe
Liam Hogan
Tom Walker
James Hooper
Devante Rodney
Brandon Lockett
Kamar Moncrieffe
Manager - John Askey
Manager - Graham Alexander
Match Officals
Referee - Ben Toner
Assistant Referee - Nik Barnard
Assistant Referee - Richard Wild
Fourth Official - Joe Clark

Close Team Sheet


Salford City and Shrewsbury Town will meet again, at The Peninsula Stadium on Tuesday 20th November following this afternoon’s 1-1 draw. The Ammies fully deserved their second bite at the FA Cup cherry, earned on the back of a hardworking performance at Montgomery Waters Meadow. With the draw for the Second Round due on Monday evening, we’ll soon know what reward replay victory will reap...

There were a couple of changes from the line-up that started last Saturday’s draw at Eastleigh. Lois Maynard was in for injured Mark Shelton and recent loan signing Dennis Politic replaced Tom Walker.

Salford’s travelling supporters basked in unseasonal – and rather blinding – sunshine as the game got underway. They could have had something to celebrate within the opening minute too, as the Ammies went close at the end of their first attack. Rory Gaffney got into the box on the right then played a pass across the area. Politic picked it up, but heading away from goal and off-balance, could only direct a low effort at home keeper Steve Arnold.

Almost a dream start for Graham Alexander’s men who were looking very lively during these opening minutes. Maynard’s quickly taken free-kick sent Ibou Touray into space on the left but his delivery was calmly collected by Arnold.

League One Shrewsbury Town had shown some nice touches here and there but took until the 8th minute to muster anything like an opportunity. Midfielder Greg Docherty slid a nice pass into the Salford penalty area and Josh Emmanuel’s cross from the right dropped towards the far post. Fejiri Okenabirhie got onto the end of it but his header dropped harmlessly wide of Chris Neal’s right-hand upright.

Salford were still looking more likely to grab the game’s first goal and could well have got it within another minute of play. Adam Rooney weaved his way to the edge of the box from the right before squaring to the left for Politic. This was a very presentable chance indeed but the Bolton loanee could only side-foot a low effort straight at Arnold.

Politic was booked seconds later, after catching Town’s Anthony Grant late in the middle of the park.

Shrewsbury started to see more of the ball but other than for a corner apiece, neither side could would up their opponents’ defence for a little while. In the 21st minute Politic did well to win a corner on the left but although Lloyd’s delivery found Maynard, the midfielder could only glance in an effort that dropped well wide of the far post.

The Shrews had put together a couple of decent build-ups so far without managing to crack open a resolute Salford defence. That situation changed in the 25th minute as Josh Laurent did well to retain possession, outside the area on the left. A short pass inside found Omar Beckles and he slid the ball through for Fejiri to chase towards the line. The former Dagenham & Redbridge forward’s chipped cross was tipped away to the far side by Neal, but the ball fell for OLLIE NORBURN. After steadying himself Norburn hit a shot that clipped of Touray’s right leg on its way to goal, then went in of Danny Whitehead’s knee as it reached the goal-line.

The previously quiet home support found their voices after that goal but the lead would last for less than 3 minutes. The Ammies responded to their setback with a fair degree of enthusiasm and Lloyd advanced on the right before chipping a delicate delivery to the edge of the 6-yard box. Whitehead arrived in space to get in an effort that seemed destined to level the scores until Arnold pulled of a world-class save, turning the ball outside his left-hand post. A great chance not taken, but Salford weren’t finished yet. Lloyd nudged the corner short for Politic to aim a cross at the near post. Leading scorer ROONEY hadn’t found the net for 5 games, but despite being marked he powered in an 8-yard text-book header that beat Arnold at his left-hand upright.

An entirely merited leveller for Salford, scored – fittingly – in front of the travelling support.

The game had produced 2 goals in 3 minutes, but proceedings would tighten up somewhat for the rest of the first half. The Shrews were patient in their build-ups, but Salford’s defence looked increasingly solid and Neal would not be tested again before the break. At the other end, in the 43rd minute, Politic fired in a 25-yarder that was well-struck but straight at Arnold.


Salford started the second half well and 4 minutes after the restart Lloyd picked out Rooney on the right. The cross was aimed at strike-partner Gaffney but in the event the ball dropped just over his head.
In the 52nd minute Lloyd and Politic linked up, with the latter rolling a pass to the left. Gaffney arrived to drive in a low, angled effort and was unfortunate to see the ball pass inches wide of the far post.

Good stuff from the Ammies but despite their possession, Arnold hadn’t been forced to make another save. If you were to find any fault with Salford today it would be perhaps their pass completion, with more than one promising advance spoiled by a wayward ball.

Things were more barren for Shrewsbury, who had failed to stamp much in the way of League One class onto this encounter. With the visiting defence proving a considerable obstacle Docherty elected to have a go from 25 yards on the hour, only for Neal to save comfortably.

Tom Walker came on for Politic soon after that and within a couple of minutes had drawn a foul from Luke Waterfall that earned the Shrews’ defender a yellow card.

It’s fair to say that the second half hadn’t ignited in terms of attacking football, but Salford almost carved out on opportunity in the 65th minute. Lloyd poked a pass out to Gaffney on the left and he attacked the line before cutting back a tempting ball. It was good play from the Irishman but there was no white shirt around to make the most of the opportunity.

Shrews manager John Askey introduced Lee Angol for Okenabirhie with a quarter of the game to play and the change seemed to pep up his side’s attacking ambitions. In the 67th minute Walker was penalised for a foul on Emmanuel, with Docherty delivering the set-piece from the right. A headed clearance dropped for Laurent just outside the area and his shot was deflected over for a corner.

Town’s attacks hadn’t really looked like fracturing Salford’s defensive resolve, but they almost found a way through after Angol and Aaron Amadi-Holloway exchanged passes. Docherty moved to collect a threaded through-ball but an attempt to square deflected back off the Shrewsbury man and behind for a goal-kick.

The Ammies had been quiet for a while but with 18 minutes left, Touray’s ball into the box on the left was chased by Gaffney. His cross had real pace but flashed across the 6-yard box without getting a touch from anyone. Rooney slammed in an effort from a tight-angle after that but Arnold made an unfussy save at his near post.

Liam Hogan replaced Lloyd with a quarter-of-an-hour left and the Ammies defence continued to repel Shrewsbury’s somewhat laboured build-ups. Salford’s last change came inside the final 10 minutes as Devante Rodney came on for Gaffney.

There was a growing mood of dissatisfaction among the home support as the final whistle approached without their side making much headway. There would be some late pressure for them to get excited about and in the 87th minute Laurent passed short to Norburn. The Bolton-born midfielder fancied his 2nd of the afternoon, letting fly with a 25-yard rising drive that was heading for the top corner. Neal, playing against one of his former clubs, soothed Salford’s worries, making the save look easy as he stepped to the left and made a very clean catch.

Town didn’t want a replay and a minute layer Docherty swung in a cross from the right, with Beckles heading back inside from beyond the far post. Laurent arrived to slam in a powerful shot that was blocked by Nathan Pond. The late pressure continued, with Grant crossing from the right and Holloway attempting to glance a header across Neal. A good try, but Salford’s keeper again did well as he got down to his right, saving and holding the ball.

In the last minute of the 90 Shrewsbury substitute Angol looked set to break into the box, but Pond was there – as he had been all afternoon - to get in a great sliding challenge.

There would be a late, late scare for the travelling support, 2 minutes into the 3 indicated by the 4th official. Shrews’ substitute Lenell John-Lewis won a crunching challenge with Whitehead, just inside Salford’s half. Laurent pushed forward on the left, getting into the box and Salford hearts were in mouths as he slid a low ball into the middle. There was space for Angol, right in front of goal, but the ball passed just behind him and both sides were in the hat for that Second Round draw.


A very good afternoon’s work from Salford City – it’s fair to say than an uninformed neutral may well have struggled to identify which side was 2 divisions above the other. On chances created the Ammies could have finished the job on the day but the overall balance of play suggested that a draw wasn't too unfair.

A section of the home support expressed their disappointment at the final whistle, but their team had come up against a robust, determined, organised and occasionally inspired Salford side.

The best accolade we can give is that this didn’t really feel like a ‘surprise’. Salford’s fans were largely adamant that a decent result wasn’t beyond their side and that confidence proved to be well placed.

We go again, on Tuesday 20th November for what could well be another memorable evening at The Peninsula Stadium...

Attendance: 4,351 (421 Salford City)