S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Salford City FC
Vaclav Hladky
Ibou Touray
Jason Lowe
Ash Eastham (c)
Darron Gibson

Elliott 79'

Ash Hunter
Jordan Turnbull
Richie Towell
1 goals for Richie Towell

Denny 69'

James Wilson
1 goals for James Wilson

Dieseruvwe 73'

Tylor Golden
Ian Henderson
Tranmere Rovers
Joe Murphy
Sid Nelson
Mark Ellis
Emmanuel Monthe
Kieron Morris
1 goals for Kieron Morris Yellow card for Kieron Morris
Jay Spearing
Kaiyne Woolery
Otis Khan
Yellow card for Otis Khan
Paul Lewis
1 goals for Paul Lewis Yellow card for Paul Lewis
Peter Clarke (c)
Jake Burton

Walker-Rice 38'

William Evans
Tom Clarke
Tom Elliott
Bruno Andrade
Mani Dieseruvwe
Alex Denny
Brandon Thomas-Asante
Daniel Walker-Rice
Kyle Hayde
George Nugent
Ethan Gouldbourne
Jamie Timlin
Manager - Graham Alexander
Manager - Mike Jackson
Match Officals
Referee - Sam Allison
Assistant Referee - Ravel Cheosiaua
Assistant Referee - Matthew Smith
Fourth Official - Steven Rushton

Close Team Sheet


A classic case of snatching a draw from the jaws of victory as far as Salford City were concerned, with opponents Tranmere Rovers scoring two late goals to earn a point. The Ammies appeared to be cruising at half-time, two-up and playing well, but the second half would see a shift in the balance of the game. Even so, the timing of those two Rovers goals will be particularly disappointing for Graham Alexander who will have questions for his players to answer following a dramatic second-half drop in performance levels.

There were no changes from the XI that started last Saturday’s win at Stevenage, and only one on the bench as fit-again striker Tom Elliott replaced Martin Smith.

A nippy afternoon in Salford, but the Ammies brushed off the autumnal feel to take a 2nd minute lead, just as they had in Hertfordshire 7 days ago. The move started with keeper Vaclav Hladky whose throw sent Richie Towell on a run that took him into the Tranmere half. James Wilson took up the running, played a one-two with Jason Lowe then pulled a low ball into the box from the right. TOWELL arrived to slide a low effort towards goal from 10 yards out, getting a slice of luck as the ball clipped off Peter Clarke’s heel before spinning over keeper Joe Murphy and dropping inside the far post.

Another smashing start for Salford, and they looked capable of adding to the scoring against a much-changed Rovers side who were slow to settle into their stride. The Ammies were entirely dominant during the opening quarter of the game, passing the ball around nicely, forcing Rovers to get men behind the ball.

In the 10th minute Ashley Hunter’s cross in from the left had to be pushed away by Murphy, with no red shirt on hand to tuck home the loose ball.

Just a few minutes later Darron Gibson broke up a Tranmere attack before initiating a counter. Lowe’s run on the right was followed by a pass inside for Towell whose 20-yarder dropped over the bar.

The Ammies were firmly on top and it came as no real surprise when they doubled their advantage in the 20th minute. A neat spell of passing involved Tylor Golden, Lowe and Towell before Hunter nudged a ball to the right for WILSON. The former Manchester United striker moved inside, evading both Emmanuel Monthe and Jay Spearing before launching a left-foot rising 20-yarder from just right of centre that flew past Murphy and inside the far upright.

A goal of real quality for Salford – Wilson’s first in the league this season – and the home side seemed on the way to a first home three-pointer of the campaign.

Hunter and Wilson almost cooked up a 3rd goal just a minute or so later when the former delivered a cross from the left that took a fortunate defensive nick, denying the latter a 6-yard chance.

Tranmere hadn’t managed to make much of an impact on a solid looking Salford defence, but they carved out a decent chance midway through the first half. Possession fell for defender Mark Ellis whose powerfully hit shot cannoned into Lowe and away to safety.

Things were getting lively as the home side countered, with Lowe’s pass sending Ibou Touray to the line on the left. A head-height cross flashed across the face of goal without getting a touch and Rovers were able to clear their lines.

Mike Jackson’s side were finding their feet after a poor start to the game and 11 minutes before half-time Spearing found Paul Lewis whose low effort from nearly 30 yards went narrowly wide of Hladky’s right-hand post.

The next effort on goal came from Salford as Hunter picked up Towell’s pass from the right, but his effort from distance failed to trouble Murphy.

That would be the last incident of note before the break, and Salford City deserved their lead following an enterprising and controlled performance.


The second half would start relatively quietly in terms of goalmouth action. Salford still had the edge, but other than a Towell shot that was bravely headed away by Ellis, neither side managed to create anything clear cut.

It was apparent however that Rovers were gradually seeing more of the ball, and in the 63rd minute Otis Khan’s free-kick from left-of-centre on the edge of the box dipped just over the bar.

Tranmere had looked a better side since the restart, yet chances proved to be elusive. With 20 minutes left Khan’s free-kick from the right dropped towards the far post where Clarke got in a header that was comfortably saved by Hladky.

Mani Dieseruvwe came on for Wilson with 20 minutes left, but the changed failed to reinvigorate the home side’s attacking efforts. It was Rovers who looked the more determined team as the game entered its closing stages, although it still seemed as if Salford had the points in the bag.

There was a wake-up call in the 75th minute after Khan’s corner from the left was contested by Clarke, with the ball dropping for Monthe, on the edge of the 6-yard box towards the far post. The Cameroonian defender, with back to goal tried, an overhead effort that dropped over the bar.

At the other end Touray’s pass sent Hunter away through the inside-left channel and he made it into the area on the left, closely shadowed by Lewis. The angle was tight, yet Hunter managed to get his shot on target only for Murphy to save at the near post.

Elliott replaced Gibson for the last 10 minutes, but it would be Tranmere who asked the attacking questions during the time that was left. In the 82nd minute Khan’s free-kick from deep on the left dropped over a group of players in the middle and Ellis had got in front of Lowe on the edge of the 6-yard box. The defender dived to get in a header that hit the turf before being blocked by Hladky and gathered at the second attempt.

Tranmere’s best chance yet, but it had not been taken and time was running out for the visitors. Undaunted, they continued to search for a way back into the game. Another Khan cross from the left caused problems in the home defence but Lewis could only get in a downward header that lacked pace, with Hladky able to save comfortably.

With just 5 minutes to play Spearing’s short pass forward found KIERON MORRIS who was allowed to advance into some space on a left-of-centre run. The rising 25-yarder that followed had pace and accuracy, beating Hladky at his right-hand post to set up a tense finish.

Rovers pressed forward during the time that was left but were held at bay until the 3rd of 5 minutes of added on time. Ellis lofted a long ball forwards to the edge of the box with Monthe unable to get a touch. Instead the ball spun off Jordan Turnbull’s head then off the body of his central defensive partner Ash Eastham. Neither could get in a clearance and Daniel Walker-Rice’s intervention gave Kayne Wooler a chance to shoot from 12 yards out. The effort was blocked by Eastham only for the loose ball to fall for LEWIS to the left who controlled before hitting a low 15-yarder that seemed to clip off Hladky on its way inside the near post.

It wasn’t great defending and the shot wasn’t the best, but it did its job and Tranmere Rovers had battled back to take a point that had seemed very unlikely just 10 minutes earlier.


Credit has to be given to Tranmere Rovers who had problems with illness going into this game and were unable to name a full complement of substitutes. The Wirral side kept their heads after going two down in 20 minutes, steadied the boat and gradually found a foothold as the second half progressed.

A top-class finish halved Salford’s advantage, but the late leveller was eminently avoidable and was very disappointing indeed.

It’s a fair bet that Graham Alexander made his feelings know in the dressing room, and this 3rd home draw in 3 games could – and very much should – have been a win.

On the plus side, the first half performance was impressive and with 5 league games played the Ammies are still unbeaten. Lessons must be learned following that lacklustre second half showing and these Peninsula Stadium draws need to be converted to wins.
On to Port Vale next Saturday…