S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Salford City FC
Tom King
Ibou Touray
Jason Lowe
Ash Eastham (c)
Corrie Ndaba
Tyreik Wright

Thomas-Asante 68'

Matthew Lund
Yellow card for Matthew Lund
Josh Morris
Conor McAleny
Liam Shephard

Burgess 85'

Ian Henderson

Elliott 85'

Swindon Town
Jojo Wollacott
Akin Odimayo
Ellis Iandolo
Yellow card for Ellis Iandolo

Hunt 80'

Dion Conroy (c)
Romoney Crichlow
Ben Gladwin

Williams 74'

Tyreece Simpson
Jack Payne
1 goals for Jack Payne
Kaine Kesler-Hayden
Louis Reed
Yellow card for Louis Reed

East 83'

Anthony Grant
Yellow card for Anthony Grant
Zach Jeacock
Tom Elliott
Luke Burgess
Tylor Golden
Kevin Berkoe
Kelly N'Mai
Brandon Thomas-Asante
Lewis Ward
Harry McKirdy
Jonny Williams
Yellow card for Jonny Williams
Rob Hunt
Ryan East
Ricky Aguiar
Harry Parsons
Manager - Gary Bowyer
Head Coach - Ben Garner
Match Officals
Referee - Tom Reeves
Assistant Referee - Joe Clark
Assistant Referee - Gary Hilton
Fourth Official - Scott Simpson

Close Team Sheet


A Jack Payne goal early in the second half took all three points back to Wiltshire, but Salford City can count themselves unlucky to have lost. The Ammies created a number of chances only to be thwarted by a determined Swindon Town defence and keeper Jojo Wollacott pulling off a number of good saves. More frustration for Gary Bowyer and his staff, and with two points taken from the opening four league games, they’ll be looking to record a win when Newport County visit the Peninsula Stadium next Saturday.

There were a couple of changes from the side that started Tuesday’s defeat at Crawley Town, starting in central defence where Jordan Turnbull was unavailable through injury. Corrie Ndaba had been signed on loan from League One Ipswich Town yesterday and was to make his Salford debut barely 24 hours later. Further upfield Aston Villa loanee Tyreik Wright was awarded his first Ammie start, at the expense of Tom Elliott.

Another damp afternoon in M7 but there was some early sparring on the pitch as the two sides tested each other out. Swindon would have the edge during these early stages, with Ben Gladwin seeing an early effort blocked. In the 7th minute the ball sat up temptingly for Anthony Grant, yet his shot rose clear of the crossbar.

Salford’s first real sight of goal appeared soon afterwards but Ian Henderson couldn’t keep his 22-yarder from a central position down. The action switched back to the West Stand end as a Swindon corner fell for Ellis Iandolo who could only scoop a first-time left-footer over the target.

Early honours to Swindon Town perhaps, but the home side began to find their attacking rhythm. There was some crisp passing going on from the men in red, and on 14 minutes Liam Shephard delivered a curling cross from the right. Henderson had his eyes on that one yet couldn’t quite get enough contact with his head on a ball that dropped wide of the far upright.

The Ammies were asking questions and in the 17th minute Matty Lund slipped a ball through the Swindon defence, with Henderson getting clear through the middle. Not for the final time this afternoon Wollacott did well, sliding on his knees at the edge of his area to deflect the ball away to safety. Unorthodox but effective keeping from the former Bristol City keeper and his defence was soon under more pressure as Wright picked up possession before cutting into the area on a right-of-centre run. The winger went down under a challenge, but it looked shoulder-to-shoulder and the referee waved away claims for a penalty.

Midway through the first half Ibou Touray nudged a pass inside from the left, with Conor McAleny driving into the area. A low, angled shot followed, but Wollacott was equal to it as he dropped down to save and hold.

The Ammies were on top yet almost got caught on the break in the 26th minute. The visitors broke out of defence with Grant’s pass from deep picking out Tyreece Simpson on the left. The Ipswich loanee had Ash Eastham for company, but with Tom King advancing off his line he tried a left-foot lob that sailed over the keeper only to drop just wide of the far post.

Iondolo was booked for a foul on Wright before the half-hour, yet the Ammies were unable to force an advantage from the free-kick – or a couple of subsequent corners. Ten minutes before half-time Shephard’s pass into the right-hand side of the box found McAleny, who held off a challenge from Dion Conroy to get in a low shot. Not a bad effort, but it was never going to beat Wollocott who dropped to his right to make the save.

Competent stuff from the Town custodian, but he was to do rather better a couple of minutes later. Josh Morris found a little space on the left, dropping in a cross that fell for Henderson who promptly hit a 12-yard volley. It looked a goal all the way until Wollacott sprung to his right, pushing the ball away to earn appreciative applause from both sets of supporters. A top-drawer save from a keeper who was enjoying an impressive afternoon.

It could have got even better for Swindon as they hit on the break, with Akin Odimayo slipping a pass into the right-hand side of the box for Kaine Kesler-Hayden. The Town attacker tried to turn inside Touray only to crash into the Salford man before dropping to the turf. Kesler-Hayden was convinced that he’d been fouled but the referee was probably correct to ignore his protests.

The Ammies continued to get men forward as the half drew to a close. Eastham lifted a pass down the right, with Romoney Crichlow only able to glance a backward header towards his own goal. McAleny was on it in a flash, hitting a powerful low effort from an angle that Wollacott managed to block at the near post.

A goalless first half and Salford City would have considered themselves unfortunate not to be ahead following an enterprising first half.


A big half to come, but any hopes Salford might have harboured about continuing to force the pace would be dashed within 4 minutes of the restart. Swindon put together a succession of passes, with Louis Reed squaring a pass inside from the right. Simpson moved the ball further over for PAYNE who darted forward before cracking a low, angled shot past King and inside the far post.

A good move and a great finish from Town and their 700 plus travelling support certainly enjoyed it.

A blow for the Ammies who didn’t deserve to be behind, but they now had to find a response. Once again the home side were seeing much more of the ball, but Town had been encouraged by Payne’s goal and were defending in numbers when they needed to.

Chances were proving hard to come by and Morris crashed a 63rd minute free-kick into the defensive wall. Swindon broke forward, with Kesler-Hayden miscuing a low effort from the right that failed to trouble King.

Henderson had the ball in the net just past the midpoint of the half, poking home after picking up a low forward pass from Jason Lowe. The celebrations that followed were soon muted by the assistant’s raised flag, and it did appear that last season’s leading scorer had strayed into an offside position.

Brandon Thomas-Asante came on for Wright with just over 20 minutes to play and Salford continued to search for a way through. An inswinging Morris corner from the right was met by unconvincing Wollacott punch, but the ball fell to a defender and was cleared. The pressure was soon back on, with Thomas-Asante picking up a Morris pass on the right-hand edge of the area. A low delivery into the danger area followed and facing his own goal Conroy had to stretch to lift the ball over the bar.

That could have ended up anywhere, but this afternoon those little bits of luck didn’t seem to be going Salford’s way.

With 17 to play Simpson squared low from the left and the ball spun off Ndaba at the near post before dropping safely to the far side. Salford launched a counter, with Morris getting to the line on the left before putting in a cross that dropped between Wollacott and Thomas-Asante before bouncing away to the far side.

In the 75th minute Touray’s attempt to nudge a pass past Kesler-Hayden was cut out, and the Swindon man had a run on goal. He got into the box where Ndaba kept his cool, snaking out a foot to win possession and prevent a shot on goal.

Good defending from Salford but they needed to get the ball down to the other end of the field. A couple of minutes later Thomas-Asante found Henderson on the right, with Lund contesting his squared pass into the middle. The ball spun into the air, with Lund going down after a collision with a Town defender. The referee waved play on and when Morris tried a shot from the left, the ball thumped into Odimayo and away to safety.

Swindon did their best to break play up after that, making a couple of substitutions and winning a few free kicks. Salford’s possession wasn’t being translated into chance and time was running out for them.

With 5 minutes to play Henderson and Shephard made way for Elliott and Luke Burgess, but Swindon were getting men behind the ball and proving very difficult to break down.

In the 89th minute Town substitute Jonny Williams chased the ball towards the dugouts only to see it go out of play. A Salford throw, but Williams continued his run until felled by a heavy challenge. The incident caused an outbreak of pushing and shoving in front of the dugouts, with Williams shown a yellow card along with Lund and both managers.

A minimum of 6 minutes of time were to be added – good news for Salford – but they couldn’t carve out a late chance to save a point. The final whistle ushered in celebrations in the away end and a distinct sense of disappointment elsewhere in the stadium.


Salford were denied at least a share of the spoils by a combination of inspired keeping and determined defending, with a splash of old-fashioned bad luck here and there. We also have to look at some so-so attacking decisions and finishing that perhaps could have been sharper.

Based on possession of the ball and approach play the Ammies deserved a win, but football is about putting the ball in the net, and in that respect Salford’s touch deserted them this afternoon.

Bright spots include a good first-half performance and an assured first appearance from Ndaba, despite having virtually no chance to settle in before bring thrust into the action.

On the downside, Salford find themselves in 22nd place in League Two – their lowest position since being promoted in 2019.

There is, of course, a great deal of football to be played yet. Thinking back to last season, Bolton Wanderers endured a distinctly average start to their campaign before brushing virtually everyone aside on their way to claiming an automatic promotion place.

Loads of points to play for, but nerves would be settled by a first win. There’s another home game next Saturday when Newport trave to the Peninsula, and that would be a grand time to secure the campaign's first three-pointer.