S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Salford City FC
Vaclav Hladky
Ibou Touray
Jason Lowe
Ash Eastham (c)
Tom Clarke
Ash Hunter

Smith 90'

Jordan Turnbull
Oscar Threlkeld
James Wilson
1 goals for James Wilson

Andrade 75'

Brandon Thomas-Asante

Armstrong 75'

Ian Henderson
1 goals for Ian Henderson Yellow card for Ian Henderson
Southend United
Mark Oxley
Elvis Bwomono
Nathan Ralph

R.Taylor 9'

James Olayinka
Yellow card for James Olayinka
Timothee Dieng
Yellow card for Timothee Dieng
Brandon Goodship

Nathaniel-George 67'

Terrell Egbri
Kazaiah Sterling
Jason Demetriou (c)
Yellow card for Jason Demetriou (c)
Harry Lennon
Yellow card for Harry Lennon

Hobson 74'

Kyle Taylor
William Evans
Luke Armstrong
Bruno Andrade
Martin Smith
Joey Jones
Alex Denny
Tylor Golden
Harry Seaden
Shaun Hobson
Tom Clifford
Harry Phillips
Emile Acquah
Ashley Nathaniel-George
Richard Taylor
Yellow card for Richard Taylor
Interim Head Coach - Paul Scholes
Manager - Mark Molesley
Match Officals
Referee - Carl Boyeson
Assistant Referee - Conor Brown
Assistant Referee - Lisa Rashid
Fourth Official - Gary Hilton

Close Team Sheet


Salford City recorded a first home league win of the season as Southend United were beaten 3-0 at the Peninsula Stadium. The Ammies had been on the front foot almost from the start when Harry Lennon’s own goal put them ahead midway through the first half. Strikes from James Wilson and Ian Henderson after the interval wrapped up a comprehensive victory and Salford now find themselves back in one of the play-off positions.

Interim manager Paul Scholes made a number of changes to the side that started Saturday’s game at Port Vale. Tom Clarke replaced Tylor Golden at right-back, with Oscar Threlkeld stepping in for the injured Darron Gibson in midfield. Brandon Thomas-Asante was also back in the starting XI, with Bruno Andrade among the substitutes.

The very early stages saw the Ammies passing the ball around crisply enough, pressing the Shrimpers back and searching for an early opportunity to go ahead. The visitors worked hard, getting men behind the ball but suffered an early blow when left-back Nathan Ralph was stretchered off, to be replaced by Richard Taylor.

Plenty of energy and movement from the home side, although chances were proving to be a little elusive. In the 11th minute Ash Hunter’s corner from the left and in the resulting melee a shot was charged down by a visiting defender.

It seemed that patience would prove to be key for Salford, and they displayed plenty of it, searching for chinks in Southend’s defensive armour. On 19 minutes Thomas-Asante pass into the right-hand side of the box found Henderson whose low, angled effort under defensive pressure was saved at his near post by Mark Oxley.

Southend’s chances to advance over the halfway line had been limited, but they had pace on the counter and James Olayinka’s pass sent Taylor into space on the left. A decent low ball into the box followed, looking for Brandon Goodship, but Clarke was there first with a good blocking challenge. The ball went loose and Timothee Dieng had a go from distance without troubling Václav Hladký.

There was a stroke of luck about the opening goal, although in terms of possession and intent it was probably deserved. An Ibou Touray free-kick from deep on the right dropped towards the neat post, to be contested by Jordan Turnbull. Lennon got a foot to it first and was unfortunate to see the ball spin off him low and inside Oxley’s left-hand post. To be fair to the Southend defender, had he let the ball go Turnbull would probably have provided a finishing touch.

Southend looked to find a quick response and after Hunter’s advance into their half, a quick pass put Terell Egbri on possession. This lad is nippy, and he advanced from halfway almost to the edge of Salford’s area before cutting inside Ash Eastham and trying a left-footed 22-yarder that dropped over the bar.

Thirteen minutes before half time Jason Demetriou’s chipped pass into the right-hand side of the box almost put Goodship in space. The Southend forward went down under pressure from Touray, with the referee unimpressed by appeals for a penalty.

A decent little spell for the visitors, but clear-cut openings at either end were area during the rest of the half. In the 38th minute Wilson looked second favourite to make it to a ball played out to Salford’s left, but a slight touch beat Dieng. The low cross made it to the far side of the area where Thomas-Asante powered in an effort that was blocked.

A Kyle Taylor cross from the left found Dieng beyond the far post, but his header dropped high and wide of the target.


The second half would provide more goalmouth action than its predecessor, and Southend could have grabbed an equaliser less than 2 minutes after the restart. Taylor’s free-kick from the left was a good one and Hladký had to get down quickly to his left, pushing the dangerous delivery away for a defensive colleague to clear.

A promising start for the Shrimpers, but the balance of the game would soon tip away from them. Salford against started to dominate possession and their composed play now seemed to have more of a cutting edge to it. A couple of minutes after Taylor’s free-kick a powerful Touray run towards the line on the left was followed by a low cross that found its way to Thomas-Asante. The Salford striker got in front of Taylor but from a tight angle and 10 yards out could only slam an effort into the side-netting.

Olayinka went down in the box for Southend under pressure but seemed to be looking for a penalty that wasn’t awarded.

The game was opening up and a nice ball from Henderson found Thomas-Asante who made it into the right-hand side of the box. He was just about to get in a shot but Lennon did well, getting across to put in a well-timed sliding challenge.

Back at the school end Goodship stroked a pass out to Taylor n the left and he made it onto the box before testing Hladký with a low shot that the keeper parried.

End-to-end stuff at this point, and Thomas-Asante swapped passes with Henderson on the right before cutting into the box before unleashing a rising left-footer from 15 yards out. Oxley did well with it, displaying strong hands as he managed to push the powerful effort over the crossbar.

Within a minute Hunter hit a 22-yard shot from near the angle of the penalty area. The ball moved in the air as it rose, with Oxley doing well to pull of a mid-air save to the left, pushing the ball away to be cleared by a defender.

A goal was definitely in the air and it duly arrived in the 58th minute as Southend’s defence cracked under pressure. Touray was the creator, advancing on the left before playing a neat one-two with Hunter. The Gambian international kept a head of the chasing Egbri before getting into the box and sliding a pass inside for WILSON. Dieng got across to cover but the in-form striker swivelled before passing a low left-footer from 12 yards wide of Oxley and just inside the far post.

A sublime finish and from their next attack of note Salford effectively wrapped up the points. Sixty-two minutes had been played when Hunter whipped in a corner from the right, with the defensive header dropping outside the box. Threlkeld moved the ball back out to the right flank for Hunter who launched a glorious left-footed cross that dropped towards the edge of the 6-yard box at the near post. The ball dropped inches over Turnbull and in front of Lennon with HENDERSON rising between them to nod a deft header across Oxley and into the net.

Another fine finish and with Salford firmly in the driving seat there would be little opportunity for the visitors to haul themselves back into the match.

Within 4 minutes of Henderson’s 6th goal of the season Wilson lined up a shot from almost 25 yards out on the left, only for the low effort to roll wide of the far upright.
Southend defender Lennon hadn’t enjoyed the best of evenings and with 20 minutes left slipped just as he was about to clear from inside his own area. The ball dropped for Thomas-Asante who responded in typically direct fashion, hammering in a shot that the diving Oxley just about managed to tip wide of his right-hand post. Hunter took the corner from the left, playing a low inswinger that deceived a defender at the near post, forcing Oxley to hurriedly punch the ball away.

The Ammies threatened again in the 74th minute as Hunter curled a free-kick from the left to the edge of the area. Turnbull got up highest, nodding the ball to the left-hand angle of the 6-yard box where Henderson hit a hooked half-volley that dropped just over the crossbar.

With a quarter of an hour to play Paul Scholes made a double substitution, with Andrade and Luke Armstrong replacing Wilson and Thomas-Asante.

With the game won Salford’s relentless attacking eased off a little for the latter stages and in the 80th minute a near passage of Southend play ended with Egbri’s shot from distance dropping over the bar. The Shrimpers were looking frustrated and Taylor picked up their 5th yellow card of the evening following a petulant kick at Clarke that left the defender gingerly feeling his ankle.

With 3 minutes left Hunter did his best to add a late goal, slamming a low effort from distance with Oxley doing well to drop, stop and hold.


A performance full of composure, energy and attacking intent earned a deserved 3 points for Salford City and the margin of victory could have been wider. Southend had a few chances over the course of 90 minutes, yet this was a dominant showing from the Ammies.

There will be tougher games to come of course, but in professional football a 3-goal win and a clean sheet can never be sniffed at. The challenge now of course is to carry this form into Saturday’s home game -vs- Crawley and beyond but this group of players look more than capable of doing that.