S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Salford City FC
Vaclav Hladky
Ibou Touray
Yellow card for Ibou Touray
Jason Lowe
Yellow card for Jason Lowe
Tom Clarke (c)
1 goals for Tom Clarke (c)
Ash Hunter

Andrade 81'

Di'Shon Bernard
Jordan Turnbull
Richie Towell

Thomas-Asante 54'

Robbie Gotts

Dieseruvwe 64'

Paul Coutts

Threlkeld 54'

Ian Henderson
Yellow card for Ian Henderson
Scunthorpe United
Mark Howard
Jacob Bedeau
Harrison McGahey

Clarke 46'

Alex Gilliead (c)
Kevin Van Veen
Yellow card for Kevin Van Veen

Karacan 63'

Abo Eisa
1 goals for Abo Eisa
Myles Hippolyte
Yellow card for Myles Hippolyte

Green 72'

Jordan Hallam

Beestin 72'

Lewis Spence
Jai Rowe
Yellow card for Jai Rowe
Mason O'Malley
William Evans
Ash Eastham
Bruno Andrade
Luke Burgess
Oscar Threlkeld
Mani Dieseruvwe
Brandon Thomas-Asante
Rory Watson
Jordan Clarke
Junior Brown
Devarn Green
Alfie Beestin
Jem Karacan
John McAtee
Manager - Richie Wellens
Manager - Neil Cox
Match Officals
Referee - Alan Young
Assistant Referee - David Avent
Assistant Referee - Thomas Harty
Fourth Official - David Hunt

Close Team Sheet


Salford City remain outside the play-off positions following a scrappy 1-1 home draw with Scunthorpe United. Skipper Tom Clarke put the Ammies ahead in the 33rd minute but they were pegged back by a penalty just before the interval. Mani Dieseruvwe struck a post during the second half but there were relatively few other chances and another hard-fought encounter ended with the spoils being shared.

There was a single change in personnel from the side that started Tuesday’s win over Port Vale, with Richie Towell replacing Brandon Thomas-Asante.

The Ammies made a steady start on a sunny afternoon and Scunthorpe United had some early defending to do. They did a good job of it too, yet were almost caught out in the 11th minute. An intense spell of Salford pressure almost forced a breakthrough after Ibou Touray delivered a great curling cross from the left. Ian Henderson met it on the run but from 7 yards out and a good central position could only direct his header over the crossbar.
A great opportunity, similar to the one that Henderson tucked away with such aplomb to beat Vale.

Touray picked up his 8th yellow card of the season soon after that, following a challenge on visiting skipper Alex Gilliead.

There was plenty of Salford possession during the opening stages, with Scunthorpe restricted to a couple of free kicks that had been competently dealt with by Václav Hladký and his defenders.

The Iron went close on 18 minutes after a deft touch from Kevin Van Veen played Jordan Hallam into space. Having got into the box, left of centre, Hallam’s low shot beat Hladký only for the covering Touray to knock the ball behind for a corner.

Scunthorpe were settling into the game and after Gilliead and Hallam swapped passes on the right, the former had a shot charged down inside the penalty area.

Lewis Spence’s effort from distance took a heavy deflection before rolling through to Hladký as the visitors enjoyed a decent attacking spell. At the other end a Paul Coutts cross from wide on the left dropped just beyond the far post where Clarke got in a header that former Salford loanee Mark Howard plucked out of the air.

Twelve minutes from half-time the Ammies went ahead, after winning a corner on their right. Touray’s inswinging delivery was clawed away by Howard at the far post. The loose ball fell for CLARKE who managed to hook a 6-yard effort from a tight-ish angle. There was a Scunthorpe defender on the line, but he could only help the ball into the roof of the net.

Touray had a go from 30 yards a couple of minutes after Clarke’s goal, but was unable to keep the effort down.

It looked as if the Ammies might go into the interval with a narrow lead, but they were to concede a penalty in the 41st minute. Di’Shon Bernard was trying to usher the ball out for a goal kick, only for possession to be nicked away by Abo Eisa. A spot of grappling ensued, tight to the line, with Eisa going down and the referee responded by pointing to the spot.

EISA stepped up to take the penalty himself, hitting a firm low shot down the middle as Hladký committed himself to his right.

A blow for the Ammies, and Bernard may have still been feeling after-effects of that penalty during the half’s final minute. The Manchester United loanee dawdled in position on the edge of the box and Eisa again nicked the ball away only to see it run out of play for a goal kick.


The first half probably won’t be remembered as a classic, but the second certainly did its best to make it look like one.

Proceedings were scrappy from the start, with good football at a bit of premium.

Van Veen hit a 25-yarder from left of centre straight at Hladký in the 49th minute, but neither keeper would be particularly tested for the remainder of the game.

Salford manager Richie Wellens waited only 10 minutes after the restart to ring some changes, introducing Brandon Thomas-Asante & Oscar Threlkeld for Richie Towell & Coutts respectively.

Just past the hour Mani Dieseruvwe replaced Robbie Gotts, with Scunthorpe bringing on Jem Karacan for an obviously disappointed Van Veen.

Midway through the second half a Jason Lowe free-kick caused a little consternation in the Iron defence before Thomas-Asante’s angled 12-yarder was blocked by Jacob Bedeau. Touray whipped the corner in from the right, with Jordan Turnbull stooping to get his head to it. The ball flicked off a defender and wide of the far post, but Ash Hunter’s subsequent corner was cleared.

Thomas-Asante’s next contribution to the game was a yellow card, one of 6 handed out on an occasionally tetchy afternoon.

Scunthorpe manager Neil Cox brought on Alfie Beestin & Devarn Green with 20 minutes left, but this game was stubbornly refusing to ignite.

There was a rare chance in the 75th minute after Hunter delivered a free kick, with Turnbull heading over the crossbar.

The Ammies needed a goal that didn’t seem to be coming, yet they almost restored their lead 10 minutes from time. Hunter’s corner from the left dropped beyond the far post and Dieseruvwe met the ball with a header that came back off woodwork. Possession fell for Threlkeld outside the box, but the substitute could only lift an effort high over the target.

Bruno Andrade came on for Hunter just after that and he almost made an impact 5 minutes from time. Thomas-Asante did well to win possession inside his own half, using his strength to roll away from a challenge before pinging a very decent pass out to the left. Andrade’s run took him into the penalty area where a superbly timed sliding challenge from Jai Rowe denied him an opportunity to get in a shot.

Henderson was carded following a clash with the combative Spence a couple of minutes before the end of the 90, despite the Scunthorpe man appearing to have run into him.

Hopes of a late winner were raised when the fourth official lifted a board showing a minimum of 5 minutes to be added on. Those hopes came to nothing as neither side could carve out an opening, and Scunthorpe had a very satisfactory point to take back to Lincolnshire.


Not the result that Salford were looking for, and it leaves them in 9th place in the table. The division is still very tight and had Dieseruvwe's header slipped inside the post inside of rebounding off it, the Ammies would be 3 positions higher.

The relentless flow of games isn’t helping in terms of entertainment value and creativity – most seasons are marathons, but this one is turning out to be a slog. It can’t be easy for the players to produce the type of football we want to see – their task now is to grind out enough points to be in the mix after game 46.

Next up is a long trip to Crawley Town on Tuesday evening before Saturday’s 2019-2020 EFL Trophy Final at Wembley. Silverware would be nice, but promotion would be better…