S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Salford City FC
Connor Ripley
Ibou Touray
Yellow card for Ibou Touray
Jason Lowe
Yellow card for Jason Lowe
Ash Eastham (c)
Corrie Ndaba
Matthew Lund
Ash Hunter
Matty Willock
Yellow card for Matty Willock

Wright 64'

Conor McAleny

Elliott 72'

Liam Shephard
Brandon Thomas-Asante
Joel Coleman
Corey O'Keeffe
Yellow card for Corey O'Keeffe
Eoghan O'Connell (c)
Jake Beesley
Alex Newby
Jeriel Dorsett
Jimmy Keohane
George Broadbent
Yellow card for George Broadbent

Morley 53'

Sam Graham
Abraham Odoh

Cashman 90+1'

Liam Kelly

White 85'

Zach Jeacock
Tyreik Wright
Tom Elliott
Aramide Oteh
Tylor Golden
Andy Smith
Kelly N'Mai
Jay Lynch
Aidan White
Jimmy McNulty
Max Taylor
Aaron Morley
Conor Grant
Danny Cashman
Manager - Gary Bowyer
Manager - Robbie Stockdale
Match Officals
Referee - Sebastian Stockbridge
Assistant Referee - Thomas Harty
Assistant Referee - Matthew Smith
Fourth Official - Andrew Kitchen

Close Team Sheet


The first competitive meeting between these two local rivals at Moor Lane produced no goals, though it wasn’t for the want of trying. The Ammies edged possession and goalscoring chances yet couldn’t find a way past Dale keeper Joel Coleman. On the back of Saturday’s comprehensive victory over Hartlepool United Gary Bowyer would have been looking for another 3 points this evening, but just the one – and another clean sheet – will have to do.

There were a couple of changes from the XI that started the Pools game. With Jordan Turnbull serving a one-match ban for the accumulation of 5 yellow cards, Corrie Ndaba was restored to the centre of defence. Striker Tom Elliott took a knock on Saturday so was on the bench today, with Matty Willock starting in a reshuffled formation.

Both sides looked to attack from the off, with the first chance of note going to the visitors. Skipper Eoghan O’Connell nodded down a free-kick inside the box and George Broadbent got in a firmly hit strike that was blocked. Alex Newby’s attempt to turn the ball back in was deflected wide and the corner was cleared.

Both sides has some neat possession after that, without doing much with it and we had to wait until 12 minutes for Salford’s first effort on goal. A good move ended with Conor McAleny picking up the ball inside the area on the right and his low drilled effort looked goalbound until it took a deflection off Jeriel Dorsett that diverted it inches wide of the far post. Ndaba got in a header from the corner but it drifted well wide of the target.

The Dale defence had a concerted spell of pressure to deal with and from a cleared corner Jason Lowe hit a low 25-yarder that flicked wide of Coleman’s right-hand post off a defender.

Broadbent was booked for a foul on Willock after that and Salford went close again on 19th minutes. Possession fell for Lund just outside the box and his attempt to curl a left-of-centre effort home dipped just over the crossbar.

Rochdale were struggling to effectively clear their lines and very nearly paid the price just a minute or so later. Brandon Thomas-Asante pounced on a loose ball inside the box, spinning to slam in a low 15-yarder from just left of centre. Coleman produced a great save, dropping to his right before pushing the ball outside the post with an outstretched hand. Hunter delivered the corner from the left, with Ash Eastham stretching to get there just beyond the far post and he couldn’t turn the header back inside.

Plenty of encouragement for the home support yet despite maintaining a decent share of possession, the intensity of pressure eased off for a while. Coleman was behind a 27th minute Hunter effort, but other than that Dale’s hardworking defence were holding their opponents at arm’s length now. At the other end former Ammie Jake Beesley showed tenacity as he chased a goal kick, getting his head to the bouncing ball before Connor Ripley managed to collect.

Willock was booked for a foul on Liam Kelly just past the half-hour and Dale carved out a decent opportunity 12 minutes before the interval. Jimmy Keohane crossed from the left, with Corey Keohane cutting inside to crack in a shot that was deflected wide off Ndaba. There were a number of headers bouncing around the box from the corner, but in the end Ripley was able to collect.

Down at the School End Ibou Touray found some space on the left before passing low inside to McAleny. This was a decent opening but from the angle of 6-yard box his low shot was collected by Coleman at the near stick.

There would be more chances for the Ammies before the break. Liam Shephard pushed forward to exchange passes with McAleny on the right before hoisting a good cross into the area. Willock got up on the edge of the 6-yard box, left of centre, but was left frustrated as his header dropped over the bar. In the 39th minute Thomas-Asante’s pass found Touray on the left and the full-back dropped a great cross towards the far post. McAleny was only a few yards out but could only miscue his shot with the goal at his mercy and Dale capitalised by hastily clearing the ball.

It was Dale’s turn next as Keohane delivered a cross from the left that bounced its way through the box without getting a decisive touch from anyone. O’Keefe slammed an effort from distance wide and in the penultimate minute of the half Beesley’s touch fell for the busy Abraham Oteh whose 18-yarder was held by Ripley.


A lively half, despite the lack of goals and Rochdale emerged for the second looking to change that statistic. Just 3 minutes after the restart Odoh slipped a pass to Alex Newby who looked set to open the scoring until Touray got in a splendid last-ditch block. The loose ball rolled to the right where Odoh was waiting to crash in a follow-up, but Touray had recovered to get in the way of that one as well. Kelly took the corner with O’Connell heading back inside for Beesley – under pressure – whose flicked header dropped harmlessly over the bar.

Great defending from the Gambian international but soon afterwards Lowe picked up his 5th yellow of the season following a challenge on Odoh. The ever-present midfielder will sit out Saturday’s visit to Forest Green Rovers as a result.

Rochdale were enjoying their best spell of the game and on 52 minutes Newby passed short into the right-hand side of the penalty area where Beesley controlled before trying to turn inside. Salford skipper Eastham had spotted the danger, getting across to whisk the ball off the Dale forward’s toes.

Aaron Morley replaced Broadbent for the visitors but it was Salford City who created the game’s next chance.

Hunter lifted a sublime pass from the left into the Dale penalty area with McAleny meeting it to get in a low shot across goal that took a deflection off Keohane on its way wide of the far post. Hunter took the corner, from the right, and a clearance fell temptingly for Shephard, 30 yards out on the right. You’re talking goal-of-the-season contender if this one had got in but in the event his volley rose high over the target.

The game had gone end-to-end again another good build-up provided Dale with a shooting chance. Kelly’s ball to Odoh was nudged into Keohane’s path and he hit a left of centre 15-yarder that Ripley did well to push away. The pressure on Salford’s goal continued with O’Keefe’s ball into the right-hand side of the box finding Newby. The angle was tight but the shot clipped off the covering Hunter and forced Ripley to push the ball around his near post.

Plenty of threat from Rochdale but the Ammies responded by almost edging ahead. McAleny’s pass to the right found Thomas-Asante on the right and he got real power on his angled 18-yarder. Coleman was equal to it, getting down to get in a good save as the ball spun up and behind for a corner. Thomas-Asante had another opening a minute or so late, latching onto Willock’s low forward pass into the left-hand side of the box. The Salford striker powered in a low effort only for the ball to deflect behind off the covering O’Connell.

The Ammies made their first change of the evening on 64 minutes as Tyreik Wright replaced Willock.

The action switched to the other end as Odoh found Beesley whose cross was diverted behind for a corner. Kelly delivered from the right with O’Connell up beyond the far post to head inside, but only into the safe arms of Ripley.

O’Keeffe was perhaps slightly lucky to stay on the pitch 22 minutes from time after he’d shoved Hunter over from behind in an off-the-ball incident. The Dale defender must have feared the worst as the referee marched across, reaching for his pocket, but the card was just a yellow. Hunter took the left of centre free-kick himself, getting in a teasing cross to the far post that was punched away by Coleman.

The game just needed a goal, but with 20 minutes left it got another yellow card as Touray found his way into the notebook, courtesy of a heavy challenge on O’Keefe.

The second half had been pretty open and on 71 minutes a Keohane cross from the left was headed back inside at the far post. A couple of players challenged for the ball, but the stretching Ripley did enough as he managed to claw the ball away to relative safety.

Tom Elliott came on for McAleny for the final 20 or so and could have broken the deadlock on 77 minutes. Hunter did well on the left, skipping past a challenge before lifting a great cross into the middle. Elliott met the ball on the run, ahead of his marker, to get in a header that dropped just over the bar and brushed the roof of the net.

Elliott was involved again a couple of minutes later, this time meeting Shephard’s delivery from the right with a header that cleared the crossbar.

Almost a quick and decisive contribution from the in-form striker but as the game entered its final 10 minutes we were still awaiting it’s first goal.

Odoh’s pass to the left set up a race between Beesley and Ripley with the Salford keeper winning that one as he met the ball with a mighty boot that carried it over the North Stand and probably into the trees at the edge of the moor.

Dale brough Aidan White on for the lively Kelly late on and would manage to exert some late pressure on the home goal. A Keohane cross was deflected wide for a corner that was punched clear by Ripley.

With a couple of minutes left a misplaced Ndaba header dropped nicely for Beesley, left of centre and on the edge of the area. A big late chance for Dale but after jockeying for position red shirts had converged on the striker and Ndaba was on hand to get in an effective block when the shot came in.

That could have been late heartbreak for Salford but the game moved into 3 minutes of time added on with neither goalkeeper beaten. The Ammies wouldn’t manage to muster a late threat but they did defend a very late corner competently enough and the referee’s whistle brought a goal-free but entertaining local Derby to an end.


No goals but no shortage of entertainment at The Peninsula Stadium. The Ammies might feel that they did enough to merit a win, in terms of possession and opportunities, yet Rochdale created a number of chances too so perhaps a point apiece might not be too unfair an outcome.

Both sides were committed to playing attacking football and each had good spells of possession, playing some very decent football along the way.

Both managers will probably rue the opportunities that got away and look for ways of injecting some goals – they’ve both recorded just 14 from their 13 league outings to date.

Not the 3 points we wanted, but a good showing from the Ammies who have been hit by suspension and injury problems recently. The trend is definitely upward, and just 4 points separate Salford City from the play-off places. A win at league leaders Forest Green Rovers would on Saturday would be the ideal way to move into autumn, before Exeter City travel up from Devon on the final weekend of the month.