S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Salford City FC
Tom King
Donald Love
Ibou Touray
Jason Lowe
Ash Eastham (c)
Yellow card for Ash Eastham (c)
Matthew Lund
1 goals for Matthew Lund
Tom Elliott

McAleny 70'

Josh Morris
Jordan Turnbubll
Liam Shephard
Brandon Thomas-Asante
1 goals for Brandon Thomas-Asante Yellow card for Brandon Thomas-Asante
Oldham Athletic
Jayson Leutwiler
Sam Hart
Yellow card for Sam Hart
Harrison McGahey
Carl Piergianni (c)
Callum Whelan
Davis Keillor-Dunn
Zak Dearnley

Stobbs 76'

Dylan Fage

Adams 84'

Jamie Bowden
Dylan Bahamboula
Jamie Hopcutt

Hope 50'

Zach Jeacock
Tyreik Wright
Conor McAleny
Aramide Oteh
Andy Smith
Marcus Dackers
Theo Vassell
Luke Southerington
Jordan Clarke
Nicky Adams
Hallam Hope
Yellow card for Hallam Hope
Jack Stobbs
Yellow card for Jack Stobbs
Faysal Bettache
Harry Vaughan
Manager - Gary Bowyer
Interim Head Coach - Selim Benachour
Match Officals
Referee - Paul Howard
Assistant Referee - Robert Atkin
Assistant Referee - Stephen Wade
Fourth Official - Aaron Jackson

Close Team Sheet


Salford City lifted themselves into the top half of League Two for the first time this season, courtesy of a 2-0 Derby-day win over Oldham Athletic. An energetic, if undistinguished first half finished with Matty Lund putting the Ammies ahead during time added on. The home side would dominate the second half yet had to wait until a dozen minutes from time for Brandon Thomas-Asante to clinch the points.

There were 3 changes from the side that started Tuesday’s draw with Bristol Rovers, starting in goal where Tom King returned after 9 games out through injury. Matty Willock’s red card in that game was rescinded following an appeal, but the midfielder has picked up a knock and was replaced by the returning Lund. Tom Elliott was restored to the forward line, with Tyreik Wright amongst the substitutes.

A wild night of weather had given way to a cold but sunny afternoon by the time the game got underway. The Latics pushed forward from the kick-off, with Zak Dearnley doing well on the right before picking out Davis Keillor-Dunn who sliced an effort off target.

At the School End Josh Morris spotted visiting keeper Jayson Leutwiler, off his line, but the long-distance effort to catch him out dropped high and wide of the goal.

After that the game settled into a pattern of brisk approach play and mostly solid defending, with Salford enjoying territorial advantage and the visitors looking occasionally dangerous on the break.

In the 17th minute Ibou Touray got in a cross from the left that was cleared only as far as Liam Shephard. The full-back hit a low 22-yarder from a right of centre position, with the ball clipping off a defender on its way outside the far post. Soon afterwards Dearnley slid a ball to the right for Dylan Bahamboula whose effort from inside the angle was blocked by Touray.

On 25 minutes an effort on goal from distance seemed to hit Dearnley inside the box, and he almost capitalised with a quick spin and shot that King saved and held. This was Oldham’s best spell so far and just before the half-hour Sam Hart’s run on the left was followed up by a cross towards the near post. Jamie Hopcutt was on the end of it but could only touch a left-footed airborne first-timer wide of King’s right-hand upright.

Salford’s attacking endeavours hadn’t paid dividends so far, but that situation almost changed 6 minutes before the interval. Lund’s ball to the left was taken on the run by Touray who headed to the line before dinking a cross into the middle. The clearance fell for Morris, left of centre and about 22-yards out. A well-struck rising drive didn’t beat Leutwiler who tipped the ball onto his right-hand post. Lund was on hand to deliver a cross back into the danger area but Carl Piergianni did well to head behind at the near upright.

It looked as if a modestly entertaining first half would end goalless, but during the first minute of time added on the Ammies were awarded a free kick. From just outside the right-hand edge of the box Morris nudged the ball to Shephard, who stopped it dead. Morris then delivered a cross that flicked off one of Oldham’s two-man wall, with the ball dropping over Piergianni’s head towards the far post. LUND was perfectly positioned to get up and guide a 3-yard header beyond Leutwiler’s reach and inside his right-hand post.

A perfect end to the half from Salford’s point of view following an enthusiastically contested 45 minutes of football.


The second half started off with both sides looking to get men forward and neither managing to create an early chance of note. In the 53rd minute Bahamboula set off on a run through the inside-right channel, with some fancy footwork taking him away from a couple of challenges and into the penalty area. Red shirts had converged and it was Jordan Turnbull who managed to poke the ball away from the Oldham winger before he could get in a shot.

Encouragement for the 1,347 strong away support, but the response of one or two of them was to throw a number of blue and tangerine smoke bombs onto the pitch. The game was held up for a few minutes before the bombardment settled down and when the play got back underway Hallam Hope replaced Hopcutt for the Latics.

Attacking excitement had been rare since the restart but Thomas-Asante got Salford pulses racing with a run to the left and a low ball played across the area. Oldham just about managed to clear their lines and Thomas-Asante was involved in the Ammies’ next noteworthy foray forward. The in-form striker passed to the left for Morris whose whipped cross into the area was headed clear by Piergianni.

Salford were cranking up the pressure on Leutwiler’s goal, although in truth neither keeper had been given much more than routine work to do since the second half got underway.

In the 69th minute Shephard’s right-footed free-kick from the left was cleared, with the ball dropping for Jason Lowe just outside the area. The midfielder scored his first Salford goal a week ago and it looked promising again as he deftly cushioned the ball off his chest. The finish wasn’t quite up to the same standard however as a volleyed effort flew well wide of the keeper’s right-hand post.

Oldham had a chance of their own barely a minute later as Jamie Bowden’s powerful shot cannoned into Ash Eastham on the edge of the penalty area. Salford’s skipper was still down as the Dylan Fage picked up possession on the right, with his ambitious, lofted effort caught by King at his near post.

A Lund shot was deflected wide off Piergianni before Conor McAleny replaced Elliott with 19 minutes to play, and he had a quick chance to push the game beyond his former team’s reach. An Oldham corner was cleared and Thomas-Asante advanced through the centre at speed. A low ball out to the left found McAleny and he hit a low, angled drive from 18 yards that Leutwiler got down to save.

The next Oldham corner could have produced an equaliser as Bowden’s delivery from the left dropped in the vicinity of the penalty spot. Former Ammie Piergianni has been the Latics’ main attacking threat recently but this time he could only direct a firm header a couple of yards wide of King’s left-hand post.

Dearnley made way for Jack Stobbs after that and he almost made an immediate impact. Moving inside from the left, space opened up for the Oldham substitute and he unleashed a ferocious 20-yarder that left King clutching at thin air before the ball came back off the bar for Touray to clear.

The pivotal moment is an old footballing tradition, and we had a classic example here. Salford pushed forward immediately, winning a throw-in on the right. Love’s long delivery dropped into the area where Turnbull rose higher than 3 opponents to flick the ball on to the near post. THOMAS-ASANTE popped up on the edge of the six-yard box to place a volleyed effort across Leutwiler and inside the far post.

A great finish to add to Tuesday evening’s dramatic late leveller, and with just 12 minutes or so to play it looked as if Salford had wrapped up the points.

Thomas-Asante had a shot charged down by Piergianni after that, and in the last minute of the 90 McAleny cleared Bowden’s effort from almost on the line. There were 5 minutes of time to be added on but it was too late for Latics as Salford City recorded their 6th unbeaten game in a row.


A professional job from the Ammies who have quietly built up a run of 4 consecutive unbeaten EFL League Two games, conceding just a couple of goals along the way. If they weren’t at their absolute best today, they certainly displayed the appetite for hard work and determination that is the bedrock of every successful league campaign.

The defence has been solid all season, but it now looks as if one or two players are clicking into goalscoring form – a handy partnership that has pushed the Ammies 8 places up the table since Exeter City’s win at The Peninsula Stadium almost one month ago.

In a competitive, tight division such as this consistency is the key to success, and it seems that Salford City might just have cracked the formula. For Oldham Athletic the future looks far from rosy on the back of this 12th defeat in 19 league outings. The words “long”, “hard” and “winter” spring to mind for the beleaguered Latics.

Next up is our home second round FA Cup tie -vs- Chesterfield on Sunday 5th December, followed by back-to-back away trips to Barrow (Wednesday 8th December) and Mansfield Town (Saturday 11th December).

The Ammies are most definitely on the up...