S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Salford City FC
Vaclav Hladky
Yellow card for Vaclav Hladky
Ibou Touray
Yellow card for Ibou Touray
Jason Lowe
Ash Eastham (c)
Tom Clarke
1 goals for Tom Clarke
Ash Hunter

Turnbull 81'

Di'Shon Bernard
Oscar Threlkeld
Yellow card for Oscar Threlkeld
James Wilson

Andrade 75'

Brandon Thomas-Asante

Elliott 90+1'

Ian Henderson

Denny 90+1

Newport County
Nick Townsend
Ryan Haynes

Longe-King 86'

Brandon Cooper
Matty Dolan

Willmott 22'

Padraig Amond

Collins 63'

Josh Sheehan (c)
1 goals for Josh Sheehan (c)
Tristan Abrahams

Ellison 63'

Scot Bennett
Scott Twine

Devitt 63'

Mickey Demetriou
Liam Shephard
Yellow card for Liam Shephard
William Evans
Tom Elliott
Bruno Andrade
Jordan Turnbull
Mani Dieseruvwe
Alex Denny
Mo Touray
Tom King
Robbie Willmott
Yellow card for Robbie Willmott
Jamie Devitt
David Longe-King
Lewis Collins
Kevin Ellison
Aaron Lewis
Manager - Richie Wellens
Manager - Mike Flynn
Match Officals
Referee - Ross Joyce
Assistant Referee - Stephen Wade
Assistant Referee - Christopher Ward
Fourth Official - Ian Semdley

Close Team Sheet


A contentious penalty during time added on denied Salford City what would have been a richly deserved victory against league leaders Newport County. A bullet header from Tom Clarke put the Ammies ahead just before half-time and Richie Wellens’ side could have had more goals. A great performance from visiting keeper Nick Townsend – who counted a penalty save from Ian Henderson amongst his best moments – held Salford at bay before they were cruelly stung by that late, late decision.

There were three changes from the line-up that started Saturday’s draw with Cheltenham Town as James Wilson, Brandon Thomas-Asante & Oscar Threlkeld came in for Alex Denny, Luke Burgess & Bruno Andrade.

An industrious start to the game from both sides, with the first effort of note coming from the Exiles in the 6th minute. Scott Twine must have been well over 30 yards out when he tried a lofted left-of-centre effort, with the ball bouncing once before being collected by home keeper Václav Hladký.

A modest effort but Salford went closer 4 minutes later after Henderson delivered a peach of a cross from the right towards the far post. Ash Hunter smacked in an 8-yard volley that Townsend managed to push away and when the home forward followed up with a downward header the keeper did well again, this time smothering the ball.

Good keeping from Townsend and he would thwart the Ammies a few more times during the course of the evening. He had a more straightforward save to make on 19 minutes after Hunter’s free-kick dropped for Wilson whose 9-yard downward header proved simple for the keeper.

County could have snatched the lead in the 13th minute when an inventive corner routine led to a pass being flicked into the box for Mickey Demetriou whose shot nicked off Threlkeld then off the post.

Newport manager Michael Flynn was forced into a change midway through the first half as Matty Dolan was replaced by Robbie Willmott.

We’d had a relatively quiet spell in terms of chances created, but Salford cranked up the pressure during the final 15 minutes or so of the half. After Hunter’s cross was partially cleared Henderson drilled in a low 15-yarder, with Townsend quickly down to his right to make a good save.

The pressure was on and quick feet from Thomas-Asante, right-of-centre and on the edge of the area, gave him a sight of goal. A decent left-footed effort followed but it was at a good height for the keeper who dived right to push it away.

Thomas-Asante was at it again a minute or so later, getting to the line on the right before drilling a low ball across the 6-yard box, with Wilson a split-second too late as he arrived at the far post.

Newport were being pushed back and when Henderson slipped a ball into the right-hand side of the box Hunter had space to advance before hitting a low left-footer from an angle. Once again Townsend was equal to it, dropping and extending a strong right arm to make a good save.

It was all Salford at this stage and when Jason Lowe crossed from the right, with Henderson bare inches away from making contact with his head right in front of goal.

Ten minutes from half-time Di’Shon Bernard threaded a low pass through the inside left channel, but although Wilson broke quickly Towsend had advanced at speed to clear the danger.

There would be no let-up and after a crisp exchange of passes Thomas-Asante broke though the centre before slamming in an 18-yarder that the overworked keeper pushed away to the right.

A goal was most definitely in the air, but it almost came from Newport County as they broke swiftly in the 41st minute. Twine & Tristan Abrahams exchanged passes before the former hit a low 12-yarder that Ibou Touray hacked off the line just inside the keeper’s left-hand upright.

A scare for Salford after they’d been very much in control, but the response was spot on. In the penultimate minute of the half Hunter’s corner from the right dropped to the edge of the 6-yard box where CLARKE arrived to bullet a header past Townsend.


The Ammies deserved their half-time advantage, but the opening stages of the second half were even and relatively uneventful. That changed in the 55th minute Willmot was penalised for handball inside the area following a Hunter corner. The referee had a look before pointing at the spot.

A glorious opportunity to double the advantage, yet although Henderson hit the ball low hard, it was close to Townsend who dropped to his right and made an impressive blocking save. The ball spun away to safety, leaving the game still finely balanced as the final half-hour approached.

The Exiles began to push forward more in the aftermath of that penalty save and a Twine effort from right-of-centre and almost 25 yards out flicked off Bernard’s head before dropping just over the crossbar.

From the corner Twine hooked in a 16-yarder that deflected off a defender and wide of Hladký’s left-hand post for another. This one made its way beyond the far post where Twine crashed an effort into Touray - a brave bit of defending from the Gambian international, who must have felt that one.

Manager Flynn made 3 changes for Newport on 63 minutes and shortly after that Willmott poked wide of Hladký’s right-hand post after a ball was played in from the left.

A decent spell for the Exiles but Salford went very close to getting their 2nd goal in the 72nd minute. Thomas-Asante picked up possession and turned before unleashing a venomous effort, with Townsend pulling off a brilliant save to deny him. The ball dropped to the right where Clarke hit a pacey, rising drive that the recovering keeper managed to tip over the crossbar for a corner.

Top-class keeping from Townsend, but he was almost beaten soon afterwards after Hunter delivered low from the left, with under-pressure Thomas-Asante getting a touch at the near post. Salford’s luck was out again as the ball dropped just past the far upright.

Wilson was the next to find his luck was out, as a nicely struck angled effort 16 minutes from time clipped the post.

Bruno Andrade replaced Wilson with a quarter of an hour to play and the balance of play remained with the home side. Lowe’s pass to the right for Clarke was followed by a great cross, with Henderson getting up to drop a header just outside Townsend’s left-hand post.

The Ammies should probably have had at least a two-goal cushion by this point but were almost pegged back 11 minutes from time when Scot Bennett unleashed an effort that came back off the woodwork.

Another warning – if any were needed – that County have attacking teeth, as you would expect from a side at the top of the league. The Exiles pushed forward during the closing stages and Willmott tricked his way past Threlked before driving in a low right-of-centre effort that took a defensive deflection before being pushed past the far post by Hladký.

Salford were defending well but with two minutes to play substitute Lewis Collins lobbed an effort from outside the left-hand angle of the box. With the ball on course to dip in at the far post there was an anxious moment for Hladký, although he managed to back-pedal and tip it safely over.

There were 5 minutes of time to be added on and during the 2nd of those a corner dropped into the Salford penalty area from Newport’s right. County’s Brandon Cooper made a run and seemed to be clipped by teammate Demetriou right in front of goal, with both players down and claiming a penalty. The referee pointed at the spot, consulted his assistant and confirmed the award of a penalty.

It looked very much as if the contact had been between two County players, but the spot-kick had been awarded. Skipper JOSH SHEEHAN made no mistake, lifting a shot into the net with Hladký committed to his right.

There was time for little more and the Ammies had to settle for a single point when they had probably deserved all three.

A disappointing end to an otherwise extremely encouraging evening for the Ammies. This was a fine performance from Richie Wellens’ side, full of energy, inventiveness and a good old-fashioned dollop of team spirit.

An inspired performance from County keeper Townsend, one missed penalty and a dubious award during time added on should not detract from the appreciation such an impressive showing. We all know how capricious the game can be!

Newport County are currently the best side that League Two can offer, and if the Ammies can reproduce this standard of play on a regular basis, the season could turn out be another memorable one. On to Harrogate…