S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Salford City FC
Vaclav Hladky
Ibou Touray
Ash Eastham (c)
Tom Clarke
Ash Hunter
2 goals for Ash Hunter 2 goals for Ash Hunter
Bruno Andrade
Yellow card for Bruno Andrade

Turnbull 74'

Di'Shon Bernard
Luke Burgess

Elliott 64'

Martin Smith
Yellow card for Martin Smith

Threlkeld 54'

Alex Denny
Yellow card for Alex Denny

Thomas-Asante 74'

Ian Henderson
Yellow card for Ian Henderson
Jake Turner
Kelvin Mellor
Sam Lavelle (c)
Yellow card for Sam Lavelle (c)
Harry Davis
Jordan Slew
Cole Stockton
1 goals for Cole Stockton
Aaron Wildig
Carlos Mendes-Gomes
Adam Phillips
Ryan Cooney
Yellow card for Ryan Cooney
Yann Songo'o
Yellow card for Yann Songo'o
William Evans
Tom Elliot
Yellow card for Tom Elliot
George Boyd
Jordan Turnbull
Oscar Threlkeld
Mani Dieseruvwe
Brandon Thomas-Asante
Mark Halstead
Stephen Hendrie
Nathaniel Knight-Percival
Yellow card for Nathaniel Knight-Percival
Toumani Diagouraga
John O'Sullivan
Ben Pringle
Freddie Price
Manager - Richie Wellens
Manager - Derek Adams
Match Officals
Referee - Neil Hair
Assistant Referee - Thomas Harty
Assistant Referee - Christopher Husband
Fourth Official - Christopher Sarginson

Close Team Sheet


A brace of genuine quality from Ash Hunter earned Salford City a 2-1 win over Morecambe at the Peninsula Stadium, from what was a hard-fought encounter. Some of the style that accounted for Bradford City at the weekend was perhaps missing, yet Richie Wellens’ side took their chances and defended diligently when it was required. In the end the Shrimps managed to pull one goal but a third successive home win was secured, and along with it a berth in the League Two play-off positions.

There was an enforced change from the XI that started the Bradford game, with Jason Lowe missing out because of injury and Martin Smith stepping into the midfield as a replacement.

This would be a feisty evening’s football at times, although probably not deserving of the 8 yellow cards that would be handed out. As early as the 6th minute home midfielder Alex Denny was booked for a heavy challenge on Aaron Wildig and 3 more Salford names would join him in the referee’s notebook before the interval.

The early possession was mostly with Morecambe and in the 6th minute Jordan Slew’s through-ball found centrally placed striker Cole Stoctkon who drilled in a low shot that Václav Hladký spread himself to save. In the event the assistant’s raised flag would have ruled out a goal, but that was an early signal of intent from the Shrimps.

Salford’s Smith was booked for a foul on Adam Phillips in the 11th minute and Morecambe were slowly but surely cranking up the pressure. The resulting free-kick was cleared to the edge of the penalty area where Ryan Cooney unleashed a volley that seemed to take a nick off a teammate on its way just wide of the keeper’s left-hand upright.

Derek Adams’ side had found their stride and soon after that Cooney fed a pass to Slew on the left, with his angled drive deflecting off a defender before being held by Hladký at the near post.

The Ammies had been relatively quiet in attacking terms although a quickly taken free-kick gave Hunter the opportunity to line up an 18th minute effort on goal. An attempt to direct a 25-yarder into the net was too high, but Hunter would do rather better before the tea and oranges were served.

After that Salford began to see more of the ball, yet the visitors looked dangerous when they got into the final third. In the 20th minute a headed clearance fell for Phillips on the edge of the area but his lobbed attempt on goal proved straightforward for Hladký to deal with.

The keeper would be called on again 7 minutes later after Phillips had a thunderous effort bravely blocked by Salford skipper Ash Eastham. The loose ball dropped for Kelvin Mellor who smashed in a low effort from the right, 20 yards out. Hladký was equal to it, going full length to his right to push the goalbound effort around the post for a corner.

Great keeping from the Czech custodian who is will surely prove to be a key figure in Salford’s push for promotion.

Booking No.3 arrived before the half-hour as Ian Henderson saw yellow for a challenge on the lively Slew.

A good 30 minutes for the Shrimps, but the game would turn against them during the time that remained before the break. Salford’s share of possession had been steadily growing and they almost opened up the visiting defence in the 31st minute. A neat move involving Smith and Bruno Andrade worked possession to Henderson on the left-hand side of the area. The former Rochdale man tucked a short ball back for Hunter whose attempt to lift in a 20-yarder was taken by Morecambe keeper Jake Turner.

Thirteen minutes before half-time Andrade’s surging right-of-centre run was finished off by a 22-yarder that flew high over the bar, but he had been caught late by Yann Songo’o. No yellow for that one, which seemed a little lenient based on the standard set so far during this game. Morecambe were very nearly penalised anyway as Andrade left the free-kick for Hunter whose slightly deflected shot seemed to move in the air before beating the stretching Turner then clipping off the bar and over.

Getting closer every time for Hunter but after Andrade had been yellowed for a foul on Wildig it began to look as if the half would end without a goal. That situation changed in the 41st minute after Denny’s low diagonal pass into the area from the right. Di’Shon Bernard – enjoying a fine game in central defence – showed composure at the other end of the pitch as he controlled the ball then played a pass back to HUNTER. With sights duly adjusted he lofted in a shot from 22-yards and left-of-centre that rose high before dipping to drop just inside the far post.

No chance at all for Turner with that one, and another belter to add to Ash Hunter’s personal collection of memorable goals.

There would be another one on the cusp of half-time after a spell of patient Salford possession. Bernard was the architect, advancing on a left-of-centre run that took him from the halfway line deep into Morecambe territory. A nudged pass inside found HUNTER who from fully 30 yards out hit a low effort that seemed to gently curve away from Turner’s despairing dive on its way inside his right-hand post.

Having played well during the first half the Shrimps will have felt aggrieved at being two goals down at the break, but the value of putting chances when they present themselves can never be overstated. The Ammies had recovered from a shaky start to finish the half in the ascendancy, and two strikes of real quality had put them firmly in the driving seat.


Morecambe emerged for the second half with intent, looking for an early goal that would put them right back into the match. In the 51st minute Songo’o advanced right of centre before lifting a ball into the box. Centre-forward Stockton is a real handful and took the ball on his chest only to see Hladký smother the danger as it fell to ground.

Three minutes after that the Shrimps finally found a way through after Wildig nicked possession from Denny just inside the Salford half. Phillips advanced through the middle before sliding a pass to STOCKTON on the left-hand side of the penalty area. A square run inside took the striker past Eastham and Bernard before a neat finish beat Hladký to his right.

That goal was followed by Salford’s first change of the evening, with Oscar Threlkeld coming on for Smith in midfield. Soon after that Andrade hit a stinger from 20 yards, but Turner was behind it all the way to make a comfortable enough save.

Tom Elliott replaced Luke Burgess with 25 minutes to play but the next chance went to the visitors. Wildig’s first-time forward ball sent Carlos Mendes-Gomez on a run through the middle, with Bernard in hot pursuit. The Morecambe man made it into the box, yet under pressure from Bernard could only lift the bouncing ball high over the crossbar. There were appeals for a penalty from visiting players but the Manchester United loanee had done well and the referee remained unmoved.

Midway through the second half Andrade produced a good cross from the right, with Elliott not quite able to get his head onto it in the middle. Morecambe countered and Stockton’s pass to the left found Slew inside the area, but his rising 10-yarder from an angle failed to test Hladký as it cleared the crossbar.

Salford were defending well, limiting their opponents to the odd half-chance and manager Wellens made his final changes with 17 minutes left. Brandon Thomas-Asante & Jordan Turnbull replaced Denny & Andrade respectively and the two substitutes almost made an immediate impact. Turnbull lifted a high ball into the box, with Thomas-Asante inches away from making contact right in front of goal.

Otherwise Morecambe were doing most of the late pressing and the Ammies had to work hard as a unit to keep them at bay. With 8 minutes to play Mendes-Gomes found Stockton on the edge of the area, but after turning away from his man the striker’s shot cleared the bar.

A minute or so later a cleared corned dropped nicely for Phillips, but from 20 yards and right-of-centre he failed to test Hladký.

The Shrimps continued to get men forward, but Salford held impressively firm and the remaining minutes – plus 5 added on – didn’t produce any scares for the home side.


Another 3 home points in the bag for Richie Wellens and his side, although they had to work extremely hard for them. Morecambe arrived prepared to attack, saw plenty of the ball and created a few good chances over the 90 minutes. In the end it was those slices of quality – plus an organised, committed defensive performance when required, that secured a 4th consecutive home win.

Not all victories can be achieved in the style we saw on Saturday, but they all count to the same extent when the points are handed out.

Derek Adams will be disappointed at returning to Morecambe empty-handed, but we’ve had quite a few games at the Peninsula Stadium over the past season or two where teams have taken undeserved rewards. This latest incarnation of Salford City seems to be determined that won’t happen quite as much in the future.

Three home games on the bounce now, starting with the FA Cup visit to Newport County on Saturday. That’s followed by two trips to Cumbria – to play Carlisle on the 2nd December and Barrow on the 5th. With the halfway point of the season just appearing on the horizon, points on the board remain the absolute priority.