S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Salford City FC
Vaclav Hladky
Yellow card for Vaclav Hladky
Ibou Touray
Jason Lowe
Yellow card for Jason Lowe
Ash Eastham (c)

Clarke 65'

Ash Hunter
Yellow card for Ash Hunter
Di'Shon Bernard
Yellow card for Di'Shon Bernard
George Boyd

Threlkeld 65'

Jordan Turnbull
James Wilson

Andrade 78'

Brandon Thomas-Asante
Ian Henderson

Dieseruvwe 113'

Hartlepool United
Henrich Ravas
Lewis Cass
David Ferguson
Ryan Donaldson (c)
Nicky Featherstone
Rhys Oates

Molyneux 72'

Ryan Johnson
Claudio Ofosu
Yellow card for Claudio Ofosu

Holohan 96'

Josh MacDonald

Parkhouse 57'

Tom Crawford

Bloomfield 106'

Tyler Magloire
William Evans
Tom Clarke
Luke Armstrong
Bruno Andrade
1 goals for Bruno Andrade
Oscar Threlkeld
Mani Dieseruvwe
1 goals for Mani Dieseruvwe
Martin Smith
Ben Killip
Mark Shelton
Mason Bloomfield
Luke Molyneux
Gavan Holohan
Luke Williams
David Parkhouse
Manager - Richie Wellens
Manager - Dave Challinor
Match Officals
Referee - Carl Boyeson
Assistant Referee - Gary Hilton
Assistant Referee - Gareth Mellor
Assistant Referee - Richard Woodward

Close Team Sheet


Salford City qualified for the FA Cup’s Second Round for only the second time following a hard-fought win over National League side Hartlepool United. The Ammies needed extra time to book their place, with goals from substitutes Bruno Andrade and Mani Dieseruvwe eventually seeing off a strong Pools challenge. All Salfordian eyes will now be on Monday’s draw, to be broadcast on BBC2 at about 7:10pm on Monday evening.

This was Richie Wellens’ first game in the Peninsula Stadium hot seat, and he made a couple of changes to the side that lost at Cambridge United on Tuesday. Both Di’Shon Bernard (in at right-back for Tom Clarke) and George Boyd (slotting into midfield in place of Oscar Threlkeld) made their first Salford City starts. Former Ammie Mark Shelton has been starting games for Pools recently, but this afternoon he had to be satisfied with a place on the bench.

The afternoon’s first chance went the way of Salford as Bernard’s fancy footwork on the right bamboozled Claudio Ofosu before he delivered a good cross. James Wilson arrived before Tyler Magloire on the edge of the 6-yard box only to see his header come back off visiting keeper Henrich Ravas. The ball went loose but there was no red shirt on hand, allowing Ravas to claim possession.

Just a couple of minutes later Brandon Thomas-Asante hit a low effort from distance wide of Ravas’ right-hand post. The Ammies were making most of the early running and Ash Hunter was next to threaten as he collected Boyd’s square ball from the right. From nearly 30 yards out Hunter elected to have a go, and the effort dropped just outside the keeper’s left-hand upright.

All Salford so far, but Hartlepool very nearly edged ahead in the 10th minute. The lively Ofosu nicked possession away from Bernard on the left then evaded the same player’s challenge as he headed down the flank. After getting into the box Ofosu aimed a low pass towards the far post and Jordan Turnbull, facing his own goal on the edge of the 6-yard box, stuck out a foot that deflected the ball up and onto the face of the bar. Rhys Oates picked up possession as the ball dropped back into play, but his cross from the right was cleared.

Something of an escape for the Ammies, but they would spend most of what remained of the first half on top. Wilson had a sequence of home goalscoring to maintain and his lofted effort from the right dropped wide of the near post.

Hunter tried another long-ranger after that, but despite being well struck the effort was straight at Ravas. In the 25th minute Boyd played a great ball, struck with the outside of his right foot, releasing Bernard into space on the right. A good cut-back picked out Ian Henderson who tried a low 12-yard right-of-centre shot that was saved and held by Ravas.

An opening goal was evading Salford and their opponents always looked dangerous on the break. Full-back David Ferguson made good ground on the left before playing a low ball across the face of goal. Oates made a sliding attempt to turn the ball home, narrowly failing to make contact.

Twelve minutes before half-time Hunter’s angled 22-yard effort from the left dropped over the bar as the Ammies looked to grab a goal before the break. Soon afterwards Hunter’s short pass into the left-hand side of the box picked out Wilson’s run only for the striker’s left-footed shot to be blocked, with the ball dropping conveniently for Ravas to collect.

Hunter was doing his best to unlock a stubborn Pools defence and in the 38th minute he found Thomas-Asante whose 20-yard left of centre effort had to be pushed around the far post by Ravas.

That would be the last attacking incident of note, and despite applying pressure and creating chances, the Ammies hadn’t been able to find a goal.


An encouraging first half for Salford but Pools could have scored within one minute of the restart. Nicky Featherstone’s neat pass into the right-hand side of the area found Josh MacDonald who darted past Ibou Touray before powering a low ball towards the near post. Turnbull prodded it away but only as far as Tom Crawford whose low shot from 15 yards was blocked by Bernard. The danger still wasn’t averted as Featherstone picked up possession on the edge of the box, then jinked inside Jason Lowe’s challenge before drilling a low 14-yarder just outside Václav Hladký’s right-hand post.

A great chance for the visitors and Dave Challinor's side would look a different proposition during the second half. At the other end though Bernard’s powerful run on the right took him into the area and he had the strength to hold Ferguson at bay. It was a difficult chance from a tight angle and although he summoned some power, Bernard could only lift his shot over the crossbar.

The game went end-to-end for a while, although the respective defences were generally holding firm. Just before the hour Pools had a corner on the right and Turnbull’s defensive header fell for Crawford, centrally positioned and just inside the area. A left-footed volley followed but the effort didn’t dip sufficiently to trouble Hladký.

Pools were looking lively and in the 62nd minute Lowe was yellow carded for a foul on Ofosu. Crawford’s free-kick was blocked, with the ball dropping to the right for substitute David Parkhouse whose angled effort flew over the crossbar.

The Ammies introduced Oscar Threlkeld & Tom Clarke for Boyd & Eastham for the final quarter and the next opportunity would go the home side’s way. Hunter whipped a wicked low delivery from the left into the area and Wilson seemed to get a touch before Ravas dived full-length to the left as he pushed the ball away.

The cup-tie was still finely balanced as we entered the final 20 minutes and Ravas had to be on his toes again, pushing a Touray cross away at his near post. It was Pools’ turn next as they broke swiftly with Luke Molyneux dropping a diagonal ball out to Parkhouse on the left. Fortunately for Salford Clarke was alert to the danger, getting across to exert pressure that forced Parkhouse to blast high and wide of the target.

With a dozen minutes left Bruno Andrade replaced Wilson and he was soon getting involved in the action. Hunter’s pass to the left found the former Lincoln man whose pacey low cross was a dangerous one. There were red shirts in the box but Ryan Johnson punted clear to relieve the pressure.

A couple of minutes later Touray’s right of centre free-kick dropped harmlessly over the bar and within a minute Hartlepool might have taken the lead. Ofosu was still full of running and managed to dispossess Clarke just inside the Salford half. A direct run took the former Royston Town forward to the edge of the area, but with Turnbull getting across at speed he could only direct a low effort straight at Hladký.

Both sides pressed during the closing stages of normal time in search of what would surely be a winner, but the only decent chance came a full 4 minutes into time added on. Threlked’s pass to the right found Hunter who delivered a low, curving cross into the middle. Henderson was the target but Pools skipper Ryan Donaldson did well, getting a foot in to divert the ball wide of the far post. Ravas dealt with the corner and the tie was going into 30 minutes of extra time.


Thomas-Asante felt he had been fouled inside the area within the 1st minute of extra time but the referee was unimpressed and allowed play to continue. A minute later Clarke launched a fantastic diagonal ball from the right-back position that fell for Thomas-Asante on the edge of the area. It looked a good chance but a low prodded effort proved comfortable for Ravas.

Understandably enough, football teams aren’t keen on losing FA Cup ties in extra time and proceedings became cagey for a while. In the 98th minute Thomas-Asante’s pass gave Henderson a sight of goal only for his angled 18-yard effort to be stopped by Ravas. The Ammies pushed forward again with Hunter’s pass to the right collected by Andrade. The low cross that followed headed towards the far post but a slight defensive touch left Henderson inches away from providing a decisive finish.

After a quiet spell Salford were cranking up the pressure and Hunter’s corner dropped beyond the far post where Bernard headed back inside. Andrade nodded the ball forward allowing Turnbull to get in and carry possession to the right before turning to cross back to the far stick. It was a good delivery and Henderson, stationed on the edge of the 6-yard box had time to steady himself as the delicately lobbed delivery dropped towards him. It looked like the opening goal had finally arrived, but it was not to be as Henderson could only lift a header just over the crossbar.

Another good chance for the Ammies and they wouldn’t have to wait too much longer for the goal they deserved. During time added on at the end of the first period of extra time Thomas-Asante’s quick throw-in from the right dropped into the near side of the area. Henderson used all of his guile and experience to hold off Johnson’s challenge before chipping a cross to left where the unmarked ANDRADE arrived to beat Ravas with a low finish and record his first goal in Salford colours.


Pools had gone behind but certainly weren’t prepared to give up their hopes of a place in the Second Round draw. Three minutes into the 2nd period of extra time Featherstone’s corner from the left dropped to the far post where Lewis Cass had a little bit of time and space. Here was a great chance to level the scores, yet Cass was left in despair as his effort cleared the crossbar.

After that scare Salford regained composure and were able to hold their opponent’s at arm’s length. With 8 minutes to play Mani Dieseruvwe came on to replace Henderson and the big striker would make an impact before the game was over.

There was another chance for Pools with 3 minutes to play after a right-flank throw in eventually found its way through to the far side. Ferguson arrived on the run to meet the ball with a great left-footed strike that whistled just over the crossbar from all of 25 yards out.

Hladký was booked for timewasting as the Ammies tried to run the clock down and in the last minute of extra time Andrade swapped passes with Touray on the left before lifting a 20-yarder over the bar.

Pools pressed forward frantically during the 3 minutes of time added on, but Salford were defending well. In the last of those minutes Ferguson lofted the ball into Salford’s area from deep on the left with Touray only able to head the ball inside from the left. Turnbull did a better job with his header and Dieseruvwe was composure personified as he stroked a pass out to Threlkeld on the right. A lofted ball inside picked out Hunter whose run took him into Hartlepool territory where he threaded a forward pass into the path of DIESERUVWE, breaking from that deep position. The substitute took the ball in his stride, kept ahead of the desperately retreating Magloire then hit a rising 19-yarder from right of centre that Ravas could only help on its way inside the far post.

There was no time for Hartlepool to muster any sort of a response and the Ammies now await their fate in Monday’s draw.


The Ammies deserved to win this entertaining cup tie but credit is due to a Hartlepool side who were in with a chance up to the moment Dieseruvwe scored his late goal. Most of the afternoon’s chances went to the home side but Pools had a few themselves and contributed fully to an entertaining game.

Salford’s last Second Round appearance came during the 2015-2016 season after Notts County were beaten 2-0 in the First Round on a momentous evening at Moor Lane. Hartlepool provided the next opposition, with the Ammies unlucky to be held to a 1-1 draw on their own ground. The replay at Hartlepool followed a similar pattern to today’s game, with Salford giving a good account of themselves during a goalless 90 minutes. Pools went ahead during extra time then grabbed a very late second, but this afternoon the tables were turned.

A Second Round appearance opens up the tantalising prospect of progressing to the 3rd, but for now Richie Wellens must prepare his new charges for Tuesday evening’s Papa John’s Trophy game at Rochdale. After that comes another local away game as the Ammies travel to Horwich for a televised game versus Bolton Wanderers on Friday.