S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Salford City FC
Vaclav Hladky
Ibou Touray
Jason Lowe
Ash Eastham (c)
Tom Clarke
Ash Hunter
Bruno Andrade

Turnbull 73'

Di'Shon Bernard
Luke Burgess

Wilson 46'

Alex Denny

Threlkeld 61'

Ian Henderson
Yellow card for Ian Henderson

Elliott 73'

Cheltenham Town
Josh Griffiths
Chris Hussey
Ben Tozer (c)
Charlie Raglan
Alfie May
Matty Blair
Will Boyle
Finn Azaz

Sang 85'

George Lloyd

Williams 84'

Liam Sercombe
Ellis Chapman
William Evans
Tom Elliott
Jordan Turnbull
Oscar Threlkeld
James Wilson
Mani Dieseruvwe
Mo Touray
Scott Flinders
Dan Bowry
Reuben Reid
Andy Williams
Lewis Freestone
Tom Chamberlain
Tom Sang
Manager - Richie Wellens
Manager - Michael Duff
Match Officals
Referee - Ben Toner
Assistant Referee - Danny Gratton
Assistant Referee - Kevin Morris
Fourth Official - Benjamin Speedie

Close Team Sheet


Salford City extended their unbeaten home league record to 10 games after a hard-fought draw with 2nd placed Cheltenham Town. The visitors created a number of chances, especially during the first-half with Ammies’ keeper Václav Hladký once again proving his worth as he pulled off a number of good saves. .

Manager Richie Wellens named the same XI that started last Saturday’s win at Barrow, with keeper Hayden Evans, Oscar Threlkeld, Mo Touray & fit again James Wilson drafted onto the bench.

An increasingly chilly afternoon, but the game got off to a bustling start as both sides committed men forward. The Robins were seeing a little bit more of the ball during the opening exchanges and went very close to going ahead in the 7th minute. A good move ended with Matty Blair whipping in a cross from the right, with Alfie May controlling, turning and hitting a dipping 15-yarder that came back off the crossbar.

Salford’s first opening came along 4 minutes later, with Bruno Andrade getting forward on the left before delivering a decent cross into the box. Ian Henderson arrived to meet it on the run, only to lift an effort flicked off the outside of his right foot over the bar.

A good chance apiece but that would be it for a while as the respective defences stood firm. Town were looking the more dangerous side though and in the 26th minute Liam Sercombe found himself in possession on the right-hand angle of Salford’s penalty area. A teasing cross to the far post was met by George Lloyd who got up well to loop in a header that Hladký caught just underneath the bar.

We almost had a bizarre moment on the half-hour after a poor touch from Hladký right in front of goal directed the ball just wide of his left-hand upright. That would have been particularly harsh for a player who has excelled all season, and the Czech custodian richly deserved this slice of good luck. From the corner Sercombe had 16-yarder bravely charged down by home skipper Ash Eastham.

Nine minutes before half-time Hladký returned to his usual form after Cheltenham’s Lloyd broke clear through the centre onto Ellis Chapman’s pass. A low shot from the edge of the area was kept out as Hladký blocked with his legs before recovering to save Sercombe’s second bite at the cherry, then pushed Finn Azaz’s third around his left-hand post for a corner.

Fantastic keeping from Hladký but his goal was under threat again within another minute of play. Eastham met a cross into the box with a diving header only for the clearance to drop to the right-hand side of the box. Blair took a touch before dragging low shot just outside the near post.

A Lloyd shot was gathered by Hladký after that and for Salford Henderson tried a curler from the left-hand edge of the box only for the ball to clear the crossbar.


There was one change during the break as James Wilson replaced Luke Burgess for Salford, the striker’s first appearance since picking up an injury during the FA Cup First Round win over Hartlepool 5 weeks ago.

The Ammies were perhaps a touch fortunate to be on level terms as the second half got underway but would work hard to change the balance of the game. The opening 15 minutes or so were pretty full-blooded, but despite a surfeit of muscular effort, neither side could work a clear sight of goal.

On the hour Will Boyle’s header dropped temptingly for Charlie Raglan, left-of-centre and just outside the box. The defender fancied his chances, hitting a volley that screwed wide of Hladký’s left-hand post.

Oscar Threlkeld replaced Alex Denny in Salford’s engine room after that, but although this half had been very level the home side were struggling to threaten Cheltenham’s goal. There was another escape for the Ammies midway through the second half after Blair touched a pass back for Raglan to swing in a cross from the right. Lloyd got up to meet the delivery, but Town were thwarted by the woodwork for a second time as the ball rattled the crossbar before being put behind for a corner.

With 20 minutes left a Chris Hussey cross was partially cleared, allowing Blair to advance before powering a 20-yarder straight at Hladký. Hussey delivered from the left again a minute later, drilling in a low ball that May – under pressure from Di’Shon Bernard – couldn’t keep down.

Tom Elliott & Jordan Turnbull replaced Henderson & Andrade after that, and the recent rash of Cheltenham chances largely came to end. The lively May tried a chip from distance with 9 minutes left but was disappointed as the ball dropped outside Hladký’s left-hand post.

Bernard’s driving run from deep through the inside right channel was followed by a squared ball inside for Ash Hunter, but the master of long-range finishes could only lift a shot over on this occasion. In the final minute of the 90 Hunter curled a free kick from a deep position on the right towards the far post. Tom Clarke and Elliott were there to contest it, but the ball was poked wide of Josh Griffiths’ right-hand post for a goal kick.

There would be no more incidents of note, and the Ammies had taken a point and a clean sheet from a difficult afternoon.


It’s an old chestnut that good sides take points when they haven’t played particularly well, but that’s probably the case for Salford City today. The Ammies defended well for most of the afternoon, passed the ball around nicely at times and kept another clean sheet. They have conceded just 13 league goals this season, a total matched by only two other clubs from Leagues One and Two, and bettered by none.

On the other side of the coin the Ammies couldn’t muster a shot on target and any one of half-a-dozen great chances for the visitors might have consigned them to a first home league defeat since March.

Injury and suspension doesn’t help of course, but manager Wellens will be looking to increase his side’s potency as the season progresses and we may well see some activity when the January transfer window opens.

The gaffer has had time to assess his squad and will be refining plans to accelerate the promotion push.

Previous Salford City incarnations would probably have lost this game, but today we took a point and must now prepare for the visit of leaders Newport County on Tuesday evening.