S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Salford City FC
Chris Neal
Ibou Touray
Oscar Threlkeld
Luke Armstrong

Dieseruvwe 68'

Lois Maynard
Adam Rooney (c)
Cameron Burgess
Richie Towell
1 goals for Richie Towell
Nathan Pond
Joey Jones
Craig Conway

Whitehead 50'

Burton Albion
Kieran O'Hara
John Brayford
Ryan Edwards

Sbarra 67'

Jake Buxton (c)
Stephen Quinn
Scott Fraser
1 goals for Scott Fraser
Nathan Broadhead
Yellow card for Nathan Broadhead
Lucas Akins
David Templeton

Wallace 63'

John-Joe O'Toole
Liam Boyce
William Evans
Scott Wiseman
Carl Piergianni
Sam Hughes
Danny Whitehead
Mani Dieseruvwe
Brandon Asante
Ben Garratt
Colin Daniel
Kieran Wallace
Joe Sbarra
Oliver Sarkic
Jevan Anderson
Chris Beardsley
Manager - Graham Alexander
Manager - Nigel Clough
Match Officals
Referee - Alan Young
Assistant Referee - David Plowright
Assistant Referee - Ian Dudley
Fourth Official - Chris Isherwood

Close Team Sheet


Salford City and Burton Albion served up an entertaining FA Cup tie at The Peninsula Stadium this afternoon, with a draw just about the right result. It looked as if the Ammies’ cup campaign might stumble at the first hurdle when Scott Fraser put the visitors ahead 12 minutes from time. Richie Towell had other ideas, booking his side a replay at the Pirelli Stadium with a thunderbolt finish just a few minutes later.

This was Salford’s third FA Cup First Round appearance and they have always managed to give a good account of themselves against opponents from higher divisions. This time they faced Nigel Clough and his League One Burton Albion side, and once again they would step up to the occasion.

There were two changes from the side that won at Newport last Saturday, with Luke Armstrong in for Jake Jervis. Goalkeeper Chris Neal last saw action on the final day of August and made a welcome return to action after missing 12 games with a finger injury.

This cup tie would get off to a lively start, and to the credit of both sides the entertainment levels would remain high until the final whistle. Craig Conway crashed an early free-kick into the defensive wall for Salford and in the 6th minute Luke Armstrong took a chance to run at the Brewers’ rearguard. Having cut inside from the left the former Middlesbrough man fancied his chances, only for Brewers' skipper Jake Buxton to get in a block.

Burton countered, with Stephen Quinn floating a pass out to David Templeton on the left. A darting run across the edge of the box made some space, but the 16-yard effort from left-of-centre cleared the crossbar comfortably.

A decent chance for the Brewers but Salford had started well and could have gone ahead with 9 minutes played. Conway got away from Buxton on the right before advancing to square a low ball into the penalty area. Armstrong’s first touch was a good one yet after a smart turn he could only hit a low effort straight at visiting keeper Kieran O’Hara, on loan from our near-neighbours at Old Trafford.

Conway was soon causing problems again, this time picking up a Lois Maynard pass after the midfielder had won a challenge outside the Burton Albion penalty area. The Scotsman put in a teasing, low cross that slid across the 6-yard box before being turned behind by John Brayford for a corner at the far post.

This time Conway’s delivery was cleared without too much fuss, but the Ammies looked capable of providing a cup upset.

As the half progressed Burton began to play some good football and in the 27th minute a flowing move involved Brayford, Fraser & Liam Boyce before possession fell for Ryan Edwards. His shot on goal struck a Salford defender but Albion were awarded a free-kick not long afterwards. Fraser had a go on goal from 25 yards out and right-of-centre, only for the ball to nick off a defensive head and wide of Neal’s hand post for a corner.

The delivery came in from the right. with John-Joe O’Toole nodding home from close range at the far post. The away support began their celebrations, but the assistant referee had spotted an apparent handball and after a brief conversation with the referee, the goal was chalked off.

Disappointment for the Brewers but they were soon on the attack again, with Templeton’s run taking him into the right-hand side of the box. The shot was low and hard but he got the angles wrong as the ball cleared the far post by a yard or two.

Within another minute the action had switched to the school end of the ground where Towell’s clever lob played Adam Rooney into some space on the right. The half-volley was low and on target but straight at O’Hara who was able to make a routine save. At the West Stand end an in-swinging Templeton corner had to be glanced away at the far post by Nathan Pond.

Ten minutes before half-time good work from Towell was finished off by a pass out to the left for Ibou Touray to run onto. The angled cross into the area was decent, but O’Hara had read he danger, advancing the scoop up the ball from in front of Rooney.

End-to-end stuff for a spell and although both sides looked for a path to goal, neither would have any success before the half-time whistle sounded out.


The first half’s lively pace continued as the second got underway, but there was a blow for the Ammies in the 51st minute as Conway was forced out of the action, giving way to Danny Whitehead.

Within 60 seconds of that change Burton should have gone ahead after a great run from Nathan Broadhead on the left flank. The chipped cross to the far post was met by Edwards who could only power a header wide when it looked easier to score.

Salford could so easily have been behind, but they shrugged off that scare to carve out a good opening for themselves in the 56th minute. Towell’s lofted ball forward was expertly controlled by Rooney but once again he could only drill a low shot straight at O’Hara.

The home side kept the pressure on, with Touray whipping in a cross from the left that O’Hara dropped, then just about got under control. Seconds later Towell intercepted a pass in midfield before advancing into some space. The shot that followed was ambitious – from nearly 30 yards out – with O’Hara able to watch unconcernedly as it flew yards over his crossbar.

Towell would do better before the afternoon was over but after a decent spell for the home side, Burton began to see more of the ball. From a corner on the left Lucas Akins, with back to goal, played a pass back to Stephen Quinn who hit a powerful left-footer wide of Neal’s left-hand post.

From almost breaking the deadlock at one end of the field Burton almost shot themselves in the foot at the other. A header back from wide on the right was intended for O’Hara but with visiting defenders ball-watching, Rooney nipped in to claim possession for himself. From left-of-centre and just inside the box Salford’s leading scorer hit a low left-footed effort but once again O’Hara was behind it all the way.

Mani Dieseruvwe came on for Armstrong with a touch over 20 minutes to play and the Ammies had a sight of goal almost straight away. Whitehead’s pass found Towell inside the penalty area but he could only curl an effort wide of the far post.

Burton repeated that trick in the 74th minute as the introduction of Joe Sbarra ushered in chance to edge ahead. A nicely constructed move involving Boyce, Akins & Brayford ended with Fraser getting in an 18-yard dipping effort that Neal managed to tip over the crossbar.

Substitute Sbarra was the next to test Salford’s keeper, letting fly with a left-of-centre effort that Neal stretched to push over the bar for a corner.

Two good saves for the returning custodian but there would be little he could do about Burton’s opener, scored a dozen minutes before the final whistle. Akins did well to hold up possession inside the area before slipping a pass out to Broadhead on the left. A quick low ball back into the danger area caught out Salford’s defence and FRASER was on hand to slot home from close range.

The Ammies had only a short time to rescue their FA Cup campaign and at first it looked as if Burton might keep them out. That situation wouldn't last too long and in the 83rd minute TOWELL advanced unhindered to slam in an unstoppable 25-yard shot that beat O’Hara at his right-hand post, recording a dramatic leveller.

A great strike from the Irish midfielder and both sides – to their credit – would look for a winner during the limited time that remained. The respective defences seemed set to hold firm, but the Brewers worked a great opportunity to book themselves a second round place during the final minute of the 90. Fraser’s clever pass from the left found Boyce right in front of goal yet from 7 yards out the Northern Ireland international somehow contrived to lift the ball over the bar.

A sigh of collective relief from the home support and their side exerted some pressure as the game entered 5 minutes of time added on. Towell’s free-kick from the left was headed out for a corner and O’Hara was forced to punch clear under pressure from a number of red shirts.

In the last of those 5 minutes Burton built another good move, with Kieran Wallace and Akins combining to move possession to the left for Quinn. Boyce got up to meet the cross when it came in but his luck was out in front of goal as a flicked header dropped wide of the far post.

There was time for no more and the two sides must meet again to decide who progresses into the Second Round.


A good game with chances for both sides and the draw was a pretty fair outcome. Burton will point to some clear-cut chances that should have been tucked away, but in truth they were matched by Graham Alexander’s side. The full division gap was barely noticeable and this has to go down as another very encouraging performance from Salford City.

If you’re going to score a late equalizer in an FA Cup tie, you might as well do it in style – Richie Towell certainly ticked that particular box.

With Burton Albion having 3 players called up for international duty, their league game next Saturday has been postponed so the replay date -initially penciled in for 19th November, is now in some doubt.

A date will be confirmed in due course but the Ammies need harbour no fears for their trip to Staffordshire.

Attendance: 2,724 (including 653 Burton Albion fans)