S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Salford City FC
Tom King
Ibou Touray
Jason Lowe
Ash Eastham (c)
Corrie Ndaba
Tyreik Wright

Hunter 60'

Matthew Lund
1 goals for Matthew Lund
Josh Morris
Conor McAleny

Thomas-Asante 9'

Liam Shephard
Ian Henderson

Willock 71'

Bradford City
Richard O'Donnell
Oscar Threlkeld
Liam Ridehalgh
Yellow card for Liam Ridehalgh
Paudie O'Connor (c)
Yellow card for Paudie O'Connor (c)
Callum Cooke
Andy Cook

Lavery 81'

Alex Gilliead

Robinson 88'

Charles Vernam
Fiacre Kelleher
Gareth Evans

Sutton 74'

Elliot Watt
Yellow card for Elliot Watt
Zach Jeacock
Donald Love
Ash Hunter
Matty Willock
Jordan Turnbull
Kelly N'Mai
Brandon Thomas-Asante
Sam Hornby
Yann Songo'o
Theo Robinson
Levi Sutton
Oliver Crankshaw
Finn Cousin-Dawson
Caolan Lavery
Manager - Gary Bowyer
Manager - Derek Adams
Match Officals
Referee - Jeremy Simpson
Assistant Referee - Philip Dermot
Assistant Referee - Shaun Hudson
Fourth Official - Thomas Parsons

Close Team Sheet


Matty Lund’s first ever Salford City goal, scored during the game’s final minute, secured back-to-back home league wins for Gary Bowyer’s side. The match had been heading for the “entertaining goalless draw” category until the Ammies snatched those two extra points right at the death. A couple of saves - one of them top drawer
- from home keeper Tom King had kept Bradford at bay prior to Lund's strike and the Welshman deserved his clean sheet.

There were three changes from the XI that started the defeat at Carlisle last Saturday. Back from international duty with Wales, King replaced Birmingham City loanee Zach Jeacock in goal. Skipper Ash Eastham returned to the centre of defence in place of Jordan Turnbull and further upfield Tyreik Wright – also back from international duty – stepped in for Brandon Thomas-Asante.

The game got off to a robust start as both sides looked to wrestle an early advantage. In the 5th minute Lund flicked a pass out to Wright and he pushed the ball down the right flank for Liam Shephard. A low cut-back followed but no red shirt could get onto it and the Bantams managed to clear their lines.

Salford were forced into an early change as Conor McAleny was forced out of the game with an injury on 8 minutes, to be placed by Thomas-Asante.

Both sides were looking to play a passing game, although the proceedings would always carry a little bit of bite. In the 11th minute Bradford full-back Liam Ridehalgh was booked for a heavy challenge on Wright. We saw the other side of the Bantams’ game within a minute as Alex Gilliead headed for the line on the right. A clipped cross dropped for Andy Cook on the edge of the 6-yard box, but under pressure from Eastham the powerful striker could only glance a header that dropped outside the far upright.

This was turning into a keenly contested match, yet despite some crisp enough passing, goalscoring chances were at something of a premium. Just past the midpoint of the half Salford’s Josh Morris threaded through a pass that almost picked out Wright only for Bradford keeper Richard O’Donnell to advance and claim the ball. At the West Stand end former Ammie Oscar Threlkeld’s pass found Callum Cooke who controlled deftly before curling an effort just wide of the target.

There would be a second yellow card for Bradford after Elliot Watt hacked down Morris. The game was heating up, yet with two sides evenly matched, chances were proving hard to come by. Twelve minutes before the interval Ian Henderson won a corner that was whipped in from the left by Morris. Lund rose to nod down but Thomas-Asante’s attempt to hook home a 7-yarder dropped just outside O’Donnell’s left-hand post.

There would be plenty more effort before the half drew to a close, but just one more sniff of a chance. A Cooke corner from Bradford’s left dropped into the middle where it was met by Fiacre Kelleher. A very presentable opportunity but the big central defender’s header dropped harmlessly over the crossbar.


No goals despite a hard-fought and quite open first half and there would be no changes in personnel when the teams emerged from their break.

Bradford were first off the attacking blocks, launching a 47th minute attack that would draw a memorable save from home keeper King. Charles Vernam started things off with a back-heel on the left edge of the box that sent Gareth Evans towards the line. The cross was a good one, with Cook muscling away from the defensive cover to bullet a header that had “opening goal” written all over it. King had other ideas, springing to his right then clawing the ball away, much to the disbelief of the Bantams crowded onto the terracing behind his goal.
Vernam’s follow-up effort from the angle was blocked, but King’s tremendous save will be remembered at the Peninsula Stadium for some considerable time.

The tempo was already building and in the 53rd minute a neat touch from Thomas-Asante sent Henderson away on a run through the inside-right channel. Last season’s top-scorer made it to the edge of the area, but before the trigger could be pulled Kelleher got across to put in a perfectly timed sliding challenge.

Bradford were soon back on the offensive as Vernam cut inside from the left before seeing his well-struck shot take a deflection on its way through to King.

The game was end-to-end at this point and Morris tried his luck with a 19-yard effort that cleared the crossbar by some distance. Just before the hour Salford had a penalty shout after the lively Morris slipped the ball through an opponent’s legs only to be barged over. The referee had a look but allowed play to continue, ignoring the home side’s appeals for a spot-kick.

Ash Hunter replaced Wright after that and a couple of minutes later the Ammies won a free-kick when Henderson was fouled by Threlkeld near the corner flag on the left. Hunter delivered the set-piece to the near post where Lund’s reverse flick header dropped just over the crossbar.

King would be called into action again in the 65th minute after Cooke’s pass picked out Vernam on the left. The cross evaded everyone in the middle but when the ball was played back in Cook got in a low shot from about 10 yards out. King got down to his right, just managing to shovel the ball away at the base of the post before recovering to block Cook’s angled follow-up effort.

Bantam’s skipper Paudie O’Connor was carded for a challenge on Hunter but Morris could only slam the free-kick into Bradford’s defensive wall.

As the game entered it’s final 20 minutes Matty Willock was introduced in place of Henderson.

Both sides were looking for a goal that might well prove to be the winner. In the 72nd minute Shephard pushed forward on the right before playing a pass inside for Hunter. The Salford substitute had a real sight of goal but from the edge of the box could only lift a driven effort over the bar.

For Bradford Gilliead did well to wriggle into the box from the right, but nobody in blue managed to get a touch on his tempting low delivery. The Ammies countered, with Morris advancing on the right before drilling in an angled 22-yarder that was comfortably saved by O’Donnell. With 10 minutes to play a Hunter free-kick from 22 yards out beat the wall only to drop just outside the keeper’s left-hand post.

It was Bradford’s turn next as Gilliead got in a cross from the right that was cleared at the far post. Substitute Levi Sutton was on hand to hit the loose ball from outside the box but couldn’t keep his effort down. Vernam again cut inside from the left before hitting a low, angled 22-yarder that was gathered by King at the near post.

The Bantams had created one or two big chances to break the deadlock and Salford had their own 7 minutes from time. Shephard advanced on the right before playing a good ball inside that found Thomas-Asante in space. The Salford substitute’s first goal of the season was beckoning but the expectant West Stand was left disappointed as an 8-yard first-time effort was lifted over the crossbar.

It was very much looking as if the game would end without a goal, although neither team showed any inclination to settle for that outcome. In the penultimate minute of the 90 Bradford substitute Caolan Lavery attacked on the right before squaring a pass inside for Theo Robinson who lined up a shot on goal. The idea was good but the execution was lacking as he hit an effort that didn’t have enough curl to creep inside the far upright.

The fourth official was keying in the number of additional minutes recommended by the referee when Salford won a corner on their right. Lund’s left-footed delivery dropped into the 6-yard box where LUND had taken up position ahead of Robinson. The former Rochdale man had been unlucky not to have got on the scoresheet previously this season but made no mistake here as he tucked a low 4-yard effort between the despairing O’Donnell and his left-hand post.

There were suitably joyous scenes in the West Stand and an accompanying silence behind the far goal after this match deciding goal was scored. Mind you, there were 4 still minutes of time to be added on but having edged ahead Salford were determined to hang on to their late advantage.

During the 2nd of those minutes a Cooke corner from the right was cleared as far as Watt whose rising effort from distance failed to trouble King. That would be as much as the Bantams could muster, and the referee's whistle confirmed Salford City's second league win of 2021-2022.


Gary Bowyer and his Salford City side have endured a frustrating start to the season, but this result may well kick start their campaign. The Ammies haven’t always had the rub of the green so far, but this time a couple of fine saves from King kept them level before Lund recorded his dramatic account opener to claim all three points.

Bradford will point to those two saves – and particularly the first one – in support of their claims to have deserved a least a share of the spoils. As Salford have found out to their cost though, if you don’t put away your chances you won’t put points on the board.

The Bantams have lost all three of their league visits to the Peninsula Stadium without scoring a goal, but look a handy side who could be there or thereabouts at the business end of the season. Gary Bowyer will be satisfied to have put one over his old employers, and the task now is to join them in the upper reaches of the league table. That quest continues next Saturday at Prenton Park…