S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Salford City FC
Max Crocombe
Michael Nottingham
1 goals for Michael Nottingham Yellow card for Michael Nottingham
Ibou Touray
Lois Maynard
Carl Piergianni
Liam Hogan (c)
Tom Walker
Gus Mafuta
Anthony Dudley

Phenix '63

Jack Redshaw
1 goals for Jack Redshaw

Beesley '82

Mark Shelton

Askew '46

AFC Telford United
Ryan Schofield
Ross White

Newby '65

Ryan Leak
1 goals for Ryan Leak Yellow card for Ryan Leak
Connor Johnson
Yellow card for Connor Johnson
Shane Sutton (c)
Jon Royle
Marcus Dinanga
Jordan Lussey

Murphy '88

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake
John Marsden

Leonard '77

Ryan Wilson
Danny Livesey
Josh Askew
Jake Beesley
Mike Phenix
Mani Dieseruvwe
Elliot Newby
Jasbir Singh
Henry Cowans
Max Leonard
Jordan Murphy
Joint Manager - Bernard Morley
Joint Manager - Anthony Johnson
Manager - Rob Edwards
Match Officals
Referee - Dean Hulme
Assistant Referee - David Carr
Assistant Referee - Michael Burrows

Close Team Sheet


Salford City produced a powerful second half display at The Peninsula Stadium, scoring three unanswered goals to beat AFC Telford United and extend their lead at the top of the table to eight points.

A strong performance for the Ammies, especially after the break and it appears as if the festive malaise has now been shrugged off.

There was a single change from the side that won at Darlington on Wednesday evening, with Anthony Dudley taking the place of Mike Phenix.

The first half would turn out to be slightly low-key but the Bucks could have scored a goal within two minutes of the start. Jordan Lussey won a challenge wide on the left before lobbing a pass down the flank. John Marsden picked up possession then poked a short ball inside and into the path of nippy forward Marcus Dinanga who got in a low, angled effort that was saved by Max Crocombe.

An early chance but there would be no more for a bit, although Telford bossed possession without causing undue concern for the home defence. At the other end debutant Bucks’ keeper Ryan Schofield had been a spectator so far but in the fifteenth minute Salford did manage to create a chance. Michael Nottingham’s neat touch outside the area gave him the time and space to shoot but his twenty-two yard right-of-centre effort dropped harmlessly over the bar.

A slow start from Salford but they were warming up and in the sixteenth minute Ibou Touray’s cross from the left appeared to be dropping in until Schofield stretched to tip the ball onto the crossbar and away to safety. A few minutes later Tom Walker’s cross from the left spun off Connor Johnson at the near post, prompting claims for a penalty from the home support. The referee was well positioned, correctly indicated that the ball had come of Johnson’s chest and awarded a corner. Mark Shelton whipped the set-piece in from the left, finding the head of Liam Hogan on the near angle of the six-yard box but the ball dropped over the crossbar.

Half-chances created and not taken, but the Ammies were gradually getting on top. Jack Redshaw cut in from the left halfway through the first half but from outside the box could only direct a daisy-cutter straight at Schofield. Salford’s top-scorer was involved again within seconds, meeting Nottingham’s cross from the right at the corner of the six-yard box before lifting a first-time effort just over the target.

The Bucks had been pressed back for a while but flexed their own attacking muscles again as Ross White got to the line on the right before playing a low ball into the six-yard box. Former Wolves striker Sylvan Ebanks-Blake only just missed making contact at the near post, allowing Crocombe to gather. Soon after that Ryan Wilson picked up a Hogan clearance on the left before sliding a pass inside for John Marsden. The former Stockport man moved to the right before turning sharply back and away from marker Gus Mafuta. There was just time to get in a shot but the twenty-yarder was too high to trouble Crocombe.

The Ammies countered quickly with Touray swinging in a cross from the left but it was just a bit too high for Redshaw whose header drifted away from the target. Next to threaten was Nottingham whose cross from the right was cleared away to the far side. Walker was onto the loose ball quicky, advancing inside before hitting an effort from the edge of the box that clipped off a defender and over for a corner.

The Ammies were looking busy but despite conjuring a degree of threat they had largely been held at bay by a visiting defence well marshalled by skipper Shane Sutton. The Bucks’ defence had more work to do ten minutes before the interval as Walker dispossessed Johnson on Salford’s left before crossing to the near post. A defender got in the way but the loose ball dropped for Shelton towards the right hand side of the area. With defenders converging and balance slipping away from him the former Alfreton midfielder could only slam an effort wide of Schofield's left-hand upright.

There was more attacking possession for Salford but in the fortieth minute Redshaw was robbed by Johnson deep inside Telford territory and a good ball to the left gave Dinanga the chance to run at Salford’s defence. Hogan faced him up on the edge of Salford’s area and was able to get in a block after the Telford man shimmied before drilling in a low shot. The corner was a decent on but Carl Piergianni was too strong for Sutton and the danger was swiftly cleared.

A couple more Telford corners followed but the final chance of the half went the way of Salford. A cross found its way to Redshaw whose shot spun up off the turf only to be deflected behind for a corner.


The first-half had been end-to-end to a certain extent but overall had been disappointing in terms of quality. Defences had been on top and the first ten minutes of the second half did little to change that pattern. Josh Askew had replaced Shelton for the home side but it would be a little while before he would get a chance to use his pace and persistence.

Salford’s Nottingham was booked in the 48th minute for handball but from a few yards outside the area Lussey hit a free-kick that was comfortably gathered by Crocombe.

The Ammies had been a bit sluggish since the restart but they very nearly edged ahead from their first serious attack of the half. Askew won a corner that was partially cleared, with Redshaw picking up possession just outside the box and left of centre. Telford’s defence stood off a little and Salford’s number ten almost punished them, letting fly with a beautifully struck effort that curled mere inches wide of the far post.

Askew was beginning to make an impact on the left and in the fifty-seventh minute he passed inside for Lois Maynard whose low twenty-yarder was stopped and held by Schofield, just inside his right-hand post.

The game was starting to tilt in Salford’s favour and although the home side weren’t exactly hammering at the door they were certainly rapping insistently. Telford’s defensive resistance had been determined and more than competent but they were finally cracked open on the hour. A subtle chipped pass from Touray was chased down the left flank by Askew, but is seemed as if the covering Johnson would shepherd the ball behind for a goal-kick. Askew had an alternative plan, harassing his opponent right to the line, managing to wrap his foot around the ball prior to slipping away from Johnson and powering a low cross into the six yard box. Schofield and LEAKboth lunged in to meet it but seemed to get in each-others way and the ball spun off the latter and into the net.

A mixture of bad defending and bad luck for the Bucks but Salford were probably good value for their lead.

Mike Phenix came on for Dudley shortly after the goal and Telford replaced White with Elliot Newby.

The goal had invigorated Salford and Walker turned away from Leak on the right, despite being tugged back by the on-loan defender. A forward pass to Redshaw followed and he turned the ball right, into the path of Nottingham who hit a low eighteen-yarder at Schofield.

Telford won a free-kick midway through the second half but from thirty yards out and virtually dead centre Wilson’s left-footed effort dropped just over the bar. With twenty minutes left Dinanga and Wilson combined well on the left and the latter’s cross fell for substitute Newby on the edge of the area. A defender was closing in fast but Newby got in a first time effort that ran through for Crocombe to collect.

A decent little spell for Telford but a minute’s sequence of play would go a long way towards settlng the destination of this afternoon’s points. Down at the school end a cross from the right found Dinanga on the left-hand side of the area but with space and a little time composure deserted him and he blazed a big chance high over the bar. Salford hit back on the counter and after Telford struggled to clear their lines Maynard got up high to nod a ball into the left-hand side of the area. REDSHAW had anticipated well, timing his run to collect the dropping ball then jinked left to go around Schofield before adjusting his balance to stroke home a low right-footer from a tight angle.

Great play from the former Morecambe and Blackpool striker and that was eighth goal in nine games.

Telford needed a goal quickly if they were going to rescue anything from this match. Salford’s defending had been very good this afternoon, especially during the second half so that was a tall order that didn’t really look like being delivered.

With eleven minutes left Salford had a penalty shout turned down after Askew’s run across the box was curtailed by a robust defensive challenge. The home fans weren’t pleased with the decision but in truth a penalty would have been a touch on the harsh side.

The game entered its final ten minutes with Salford firmly in control but the Bucks were still looking for a way to get back into contention. Newby had looked lively since coming on and his pass down the right sent Ebanks-Blake to the line from where he delivered a pacy cross. Dinanga was putting Crocombe under pressure in the middle but Salford’s keeper made no mistake, clutching the ball safely out of the air. Seconds later Lussey had a go from twenty yards out but couldn’t keep his shot down.

At the other end Nottingham’s run on the right took him almost to the line but Piergianni could only head his cross a foot wide of the far post. Telford pressed forward next and a scramble inside Salford’s box saw the ball drop right in front of Ebanks-Blake whose shot on goal was bravely blocked by Touray, sliding in from the left.

Great defensive play from the former Everton man – a goal at this point could have made the last few minutes rather uncomfortable for Salford and their supporters. It wasn’t to be that way however as the Ammies decided that attack was the best form of defence for the closing moments. Nottingham’s angled drive was blocked by Jon Royle after Askew had been stopped in his tracks by the same player a few moments earlier.

In the second minute of three added on Walker’s corner from the right dropped into the six-yard box where Piergianni, still sowehow awaiting his first goal of the season, had a close-range header blocked. Telford weren’t off the hook yet however and NOTTINGHAM wrapped his foot around the ball to turn it home from a few yards out.

That was that in terms of the result but Telford hadn’t given up hope of getting onto the scoresheet just yet. In the final minute of added on time Ebanks-Blake poked a pass out to Newby on the right and he curled a great cross towards the far post. Dinanga had escaped the attentions of his marker but from a few yards out could only glance a header just wide of the far post.


In the end this was a good, solid win for Salford and on the back of the midweek victory at Darlington this has been a great week. Once again we have quite a cushion at the top of the league and positive results from the upcoming Harrogate and Brackley games would put the Ammies in a very commanding position indeed.

Salford seemed to get back to basics today, starting at the back where the defence looked reassuringly solid again after the wobbles over Christmas and New Year. The first half was a bit flat at times in terms of attacking play but Askew’s introduction at half-time injected pace and it was his determination that created the game’s crucial first goal out of virtually nothing. The sponsors chose Tom Walker as their man-of-the-match and he too made a big difference, particularly after the interval when his movement and trickery provide difficult for Telford to handle.

Up front Jack Redshaw continues to provide moments of class and his goal today was borne of keen anticipation and finished with real aplomb.
The Bucks provided determined opposition but will be disappointed with their defending, particularly for the first goal. Even so, had Dinanga tucked away that clear chance the outcome of the game may well have been different – instead Salford responded by almost instantly extending their lead.

Three goals, three points and a clean sheet – the first since Blyth were held at bay six weeks ago can only be viewed as a good day at the office – we trust there is even better to come…