S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Salford City FC
Kyle Letheren
Oscar Threlkeld

Wiseman 80'

Liam Hogan (c)
Carl Piergianni
Luke Armstrong
2 goals for Luke Armstrong 2 goals for Luke Armstrong

Touray 71'

Danny Lloyd
Richie Towell
1 goals for Richie Towell
Dan Jones
Joey Jones
Brandon Asante
Jake Jervis

Dieseruvwe 80'

Wolves U21s
Andreas Sondergaard
Dion Sanderson
Terry Taylor
Yellow card for Terry Taylor
Ed Francis (c)
Luke Cundle

Samuels 64'

Elliot Watt
Dan Csoka

Kitolano 78'

Christian Marques
Lewis Richards
Chem Campbell
Jordan Graham
Chris Neal
Scott Wiseman
Ibou Touray
Jack Baldwin
Danny Whitehead
Mani Dieseruvwe
Alex Doyle
James Pardington
Callum Thompson
Austin Samuels
Flavio Cristovao
Dongda He
Ming Yang
John Kitolano
Manager - Graham Alexander
Coach - Mark Kennedy
Match Officals
Referee - Scott Oldham
Assistant Referee - Stephen Wade
Assistant Referee - Gary Hilton
Fourth Official - Joseph Johnson

Close Team Sheet


Salford City booked their place in the last 16 of the EFL Trophy, courtesy of a well-deserved win over Wolverhampton Wanderers U21. The young Wolves showed plenty of nice touches after the Ammies went ahead just before half-time the result would never seriously be in doubt. The third round draw is on Thursday evening, live on Sky TV, with that tie due to take place during week commencing 6th January.

Manager Graham Alexander shuffled his pack for this one and the opening stages were played at pace, but despite the ball moving from end-to-end, few goalscoring chances were created. Wolves looked neat in possession but, as would be the case all evening, found the home defence a tough nut to crack.

As the half progressed Salford began to offer more of an attacking threat without managing to test visiting keeper Andreas Sondergaard too severely. With 27 minutes played Wolves were awarded a free-kick and from nearly 30 yards out Elliot Watt hit a dipping effort that had Kyle Letheren stretching to his right save and hold the ball.

An effort of goal, but we’d have to wait a little longer for any more to come along. Five minutes before half-time Brandon Asante cut into the Wolves box from the right but when the trigger was pulled visiting skipper Ed Francis was in the right place to make an effective block.

It looked as if an interesting, yet largely incident-free half would end without a goal being scored, but the Ammies snatched a lead less than 3 minutes before the interval. Carl Piergianni's pass to the left was pushed down the flank for Danny Lloyd. Jake Jervis couldn't get on to the end of that one but the ball bounced loose for LUKE ARMSTRONG to nip between two stationary defenders before lashing an acrobatic six-yard volley high into the net.

Having scored one Salford were eager for another and a couple of minutes later Joey Jones nudged a pass out to Dan Jones on the left. The former Barrow defender launched a cross to the near post for Armstrong to nod on, with Danny Lloyd foiled in front of goal by a desperate defensive header.


The second half would see more goalmouth action, with the lion’s share of changes going to The Ammies. The home side had one foot in the last 16 in the 48th minute as Armstrong started and finished an effective, direct move. The former Boro’ front-man slipped a pass out to Jervis who advanced on the right, getting past his man and to the line before slinging a good cross to the far post.ARMSTRONG had continued his run and escaped the attentions of the defence to arrived to guide a deft close-range header inside the upright.

A goal that put Salford firmly in control and their grip on the game would never really be in doubt from that point on.

In the 53rd minute Oscar Threlkeld swung a cross-field ball over to the left, where Danny Lloyd controlled well. A neat touch gave him a sight of goal, but the rising shot flew across goal and wide of the far upright.

The Ammies had a strong penalty shout soon after that after a strong Jervis burst into the box was curtailed by a suspect challenge. It looked very much like a foul, but the referee decided otherwise, and play was allowed to continue.

Wolves were still looking neat at times, but end-product continued to elude them. Just past the hour mark Jordan Graham did well to dig out a lofted cross from virtually on the right corner flag. It was a great delivery, falling to the far post but Chem Campbell was a couple of feet away from finding a finish.

Wolves made a couple of substitutions in an attempt to find a way back into the game yet would have little luck in that respect. The Ammies continued to dominate and could have gone further ahead with 17 minutes left. Lloyd’s low cross from the right found Asante 12 yards out and he took a steadying touch before slamming in a shot. Christian Marques got in a brave block to deny the former MK Dons man and Richie Towell’s follow-up shot from outside the box cleared the bar by some distance.

Towell looked disappointed with that effort but would do rather better before the evening was over. In the mean-time Joey Jones met a clearance with a low 22-yarder that Sondergaard did well to push away to his right.

Wolves created a chance with 10 minutes left as substitute Austin Samuels got in a good low cross from the left. There was no touch in the middle but when the ball ran beyond the far post Dion Sanderson hit a shot into the side-netting.

That would the best that the visitors could offer, and the closing stages of the game belonged to Salford. Asante stroked a pass out for Ibou Touray on the left and his cross dropped towards the far post. Towell hit a 12-yard volley, with the ball deflecting to safety off the legs of Sondergaard.

Within another minute Lloyd lashed in a left-footer from the right-hand angle of the box, only to see the shot zip wide of the far post. Asante’s low effort from much the same position suffered the same fate in the 84th minute as Salford stepped up the search for a 3rd goal.

That goal arrived with less than two minutes to play, and a bona-fide cracker it was. Substitute Mani Dieseruvwe’s header was blocked inside the area and the loose ball fell towards the edge of the penalty area. TOWELL hit a volley that kept low, skidded off the frosty turf inside the six-yard boxand beat Sondergaard at his right-hand post.

A fine finish that dropped a juicy cherry on Salford's EFL Trophy cake and there was still time for a few more chances. Salford skipper Liam Hogan’s surging run on the right was finished off by a low shot that wasn’t far wide of the far post. Deep into injury time a smart Dieseruvwe turn on the left-hand side of the box was followed by a rising shot that cleared the bar.

A fourth goal wouldn’t have particularly flattered the Ammies, but a thoroughly professional job had been done.


A quiet first half ended with Salford edging ahead and after that Graham Alexander’s side never looked back. Wolves played well at times, but they lacked penetration against a physically strong defence and home keeper Letheren had a relatively untroubled evening.

A good job, well done and the Ammies find themselves 3 games away from a possible return to Wembley. There’s plenty of work to be done yet, but keep Sunday 5th April free, just in case…

Attendance: 505 (120 Wolves)