S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Salford City FC
Chris Neal
Scott Wiseman
Ibou Touray
Oscar Threlkeld
Liam Hogan (c)
Adam Rooney
2 goals for Adam Rooney 2 goals for Adam Rooney
Cameron Burgess
Richie Towell
Mani Dieseruvwe
Yellow card for Mani Dieseruvwe

Armstrong 65’

Joey Jones

Asante 83’

Jake Jervis
Swindon Town
Steven Benda
Zeki Fryers
Mathieu Baudry (c)
Jerry Yates
1 goals for Jerry Yates
Michael Doughty

Caddis 90+3'

Kaiyne Woolery
Ellis Iandolo
Jordan Lyden
Rob Hunt
Eoin Doyle
2 goals for Eoin Doyle 2 goals for Eoin Doyle

Jaiyesimi 90+3'

Anthony Grant

Rose 90'

Kyle Letheren
Carl Piergianni
Luke Armstrong
Lois Maynard
Dan Jones
Brandon Asante
Alex Doyle
Luke McCormick
Danny Rose
Tom Broadbent
Taylor Curran
Diallang Jaiyesimi
Gabi Zakuani
Paul Caddis
Manager - Graham Alexander
Manager - Richie Wellens
Match Officals
Referee - Leigh Doughty
Assistant Referee - Ollie Williams
Assistant Referee - Richard Woodward
Fourth Official - Lisa Rashid

Close Team Sheet


The curse of the West Country struck again at The Peninsula Stadium this afternoon as Swindon Town became the third side from that region to take three points back down the M5. The Ammies started and finished the game with penalties converted by leading scorer Adam Rooney, but in between the Robins ran in three goals and this win send them to the top of League Two.

There were four changes from the side that started last Saturday’s FA Cup tie -vs- Burton Albion. At the back club captain Liam Hogan started his first league game of the season, replacing Nathan Pond who was away representing Montserrat. Scott Wiseman was restored to the right-back berth, with Oscar Threlkeld pushed further forward in the absence of Craig Conway. In midfield Jake Jervis replaced Lois Maynard whilst up front Mani Dieseruvwe stepped in for Luke Armstrong.

This was a match involving two in-form teams and Salford made an ideal start, going ahead as early as the 4th minute. Mathieu Baudry’s back pass seemed routine for Town keeper Steven Benda, but a poor touch was compounded by a clumsy trip as Adam Rooney attempted to pick up the loose ball. It looked like a penalty and the referee agreed, with ROONEY making no mistake from the spot.

An early boost for the Ammies, but their lead would last for just 5 minutes. The visitors responded with determination after going behind and Jordan Lyden pinched the ball from Threlkeld in midfield. Michael Doughty carried possession forward before sliding a perfectly weighted pass to the left for EOIN DOYLE to place a first-time left-footer across Chris Neal and inside his far post. A 15th goal of the season for the prolific scorer courtesy of a typically smart finish.

Two quick goals, but there wouldn’t be too many more chances for a little while. In the 23rd minute Joey Jones threaded a pass into the right-hand side of Swindon’s area only for the rapidly advancing Benda to get there before Rooney. The same combination unlocked the visiting defence again just a couple of minutes later as Jones lofted a glorious diagonal pass from just inside the Swindon half. Rooney was in space on the right, but from just inside the area his low, angled drive whistled wide of the far upright.

There was some light relief after that as former Salford midfielder Richie Wellens – now manager of Swindon – was yellow carded, presumably due to an over enthusiastic expression of opinion. The travelling fans bellowed their support, Wellens responded with a big thumbs-up and a couple of minutes performed a perfect pratfall as he attempted to control a wayward pass that came his way.

Focus returned to events on the pitch as half-time approached, although there was a lengthy delay as home skipper Hogan received treatment for a knock to the head. His first contribution after returning - complete with bandaged head - to the field of play almost produced a goal as he received a pass from Neal before aiming a long ball towards the edge of Town’s penalty area. Dieseruvwe was in contention to win that one, but Benda had advanced to good effect again, rising above his opponent to safely claim the ball.

That injury to Hogan contributed to the 6 minutes of time added on at the end of the first half and Swindon were pressing for a second goal. Doughty’s ball inside from the right found Doyle whose 18-yard snapshot was blocked. The League’s top scorer had another go a couple of minutes later as he started off and almost finished a decent move. Doyle’s pass to the left found Doughty whose low ball into the area was controlled by Kalyne Woolery. A nudged pass back to Doyle was followed up by a goalbound effort that appeared to deflect off teammate Lyden, leaving the scores remaining level at the break.


The second half got off to a cagey start, but Swindon got their collective nose in front with 54 minutes played. Jerry Yates had a little space on the left and used it to drill in an angled effort that struck Hogan on the arm at the near post. The referee pointed at the spot – much to Hogan’s disbelief – and the responsibility for the penalty was handed to DOYLE. Neal chose the right direction, diving to his right, but the fierce rising finish slammed into the roof of his net to out the Robins ahead.

Salford were stung by that penalty and did their best to find a quick equalizer. Dieseruvwe was fouled just outside the Town area, slightly right-of-centre , with Richie Towell, Jervis and Ibou Touray standing over the free-kick. In the event it was Touray who struck a left-footer only for the ball to spin away from danger off Yates.

Within another minute or so Dieseruvwe touched down a cross from the right, with Cameron Burgess’ attempt to hook home thwarted as the effort struck a defender.

Armstrong replaced Dieseruvwe with 25 minutes to play but the Ammies were struggling to find their way through a determined Swindon defence. In the 72nd minute Joey Jones hit his shot from 25-yards well enough, yet Benda was behind it all the way. At the other end Yates hit a low effort just inches wide of the far post from the left.

Thirteen minutes before time Swindon earned themselves a two-goal cushion after Doughty’s long-range effort was pushed away to the right by Neal. Doyle’s was denied a hat-trick as his follow-up from an angle on the left crashed into Hogan, then YATES made no mistake from 8 yards with Swindon’s 3rd bite at the cherry.

Salford were up against it and Brandon Asante was thrown into the fray for Jones as the game entered it’s final 10 minutes. The next big chance went to Swindon however as Woolery’s 84th minute run was finished off by an unselfish square ball to the left. Doyle was in too much space yet from 8 or 9 yards out could only lift an effort over the ball with the goal at his mercy.

The Robins held on to their two-goal lead until time added on when The Ammies again started to create chances for themselves. Asante’s ball out to Touray on the left was followed by a gem of a cross that dropped for Jervis on the edge of the 6-yard box, towards the far post. A goal at this point might just raise hopes of an unlikely point but it wasn’t to be as the Luton loanee tried a volley that rose high over the crossbar.

Salford pressed forward again, with Asante getting clear of the Town defence before getting in a low shot from just outside the box. Benda deflected the ball away to safety with an outstretched foot, but right at the death the Ammies received some reward for their attacking efforts. Asante was involved again, drawing a foul tight to the line on the left, with the referee awarding his 3rd penalty of the afternoon.
ROONEY drilled a low finish to Benda’s left with the keeper committed the other way, and that would the last kick of the match.


A first defeat in 5 league games for Graham Alexander’s Salford City and in the end Swindon were probably decent value for their win. The Robins looked sharp, particularly in the second half and this win takes them to League Two’s summit. It would be no surprise to see Richie Wellens’ side there or thereabouts at the business end of the season, but the margins today were fine and the Ammies needn’t feel too discouraged.

Recent games have proven that Salford are settling down to life in the EFL and they now face an important week. On Tuesday comes a trip to Burton Albion for an FA Cup First Round replay before Macclesfield Town visit The Peninsula for a league game next Saturday.

Attendance: 3,509 (1,340 from Swindon Town)