S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Salford City FC
Chris Neal
Scott Wiseman
Ibou Touray
Carl Piergianni
Yellow card for Carl Piergianni
Adam Rooney (c)
1 goals for Adam Rooney (c)
Danny Lloyd

Maynard '64

Tom Walker
Danny Whitehead
Dennis Politic

Hogan '64

Nathan Pond
Yellow card for Nathan Pond
Rory Gaffney
Shrewsbury Town
Steve Arnold
Josh Emmanuel
Mat Sadler (c)
Omar Beckles
Yellow card for Omar Beckles
Greg Docherty
1 goals for Greg Docherty

Bolton '88

Fejiri Okenabirhie
2 goals for Fejiri Okenabirhie 2 goals for Fejiri Okenabirhie
Aaron Amadi-Holloway

John-Lewis '75

Luke Waterfall
Josh Laurent
Oli Norburn
Yellow card for Oli Norburn

Colkett '78

Anthony Grant
Max Crocombe
Liam Hogan
Lois Maynard
James Hooper
Brandon Lockett
Kamar Moncrieffe
Joel Coleman
James Bolton
Lenell John-Lewis
Alex Gilliead
Abo Eisa
Charlie Colkett
Ryan Sears
Manager - Graham Alexander
GK Coach - Danny Coyne
Match Officals
Referee - Sebastien Stockbridge
Assistant Referee - Steven Rushton
Assistant Referee - Hristo Karaivanov
Fourth Official - Anthony Backhouse

Close Team Sheet


Salford City’s FA campaign came to an end at The Peninsula Stadium as League One Shrewsbury Town ran out 3-1 winners. Having gone 2 down the Ammies rallied after Adam Rooney’s goal but the visitors held on before adding a very late clincher. A creditable performance from the Ammies but Danny Coyne’s Shrewsbury did enough to book a home tie with Scunthorpe United in the second round.

There was a single change from the side that beat Aldershot on Saturday, with Tom Walker coming in for Mark Shelton. Lois Maynard - returned from international duty with St. Kitts & Nevis, was named among the substitutes.

The game started at an enthusiastic pace but Ollie Norburn’s blocked shot for the visitors and Danny Lloyd’s off-target effort for Salford were the only opening 10-minute chances. A quick break from Scott Wiseman looked like it might cause some problems for the Shrews’ defence, but Rory Gaffney couldn’t control in the middle.

An even start but a touch of quality from Shrewsbury almost gave them an 11th minute lead. Fejiri Okenabirhie squared inside from the right for Norburn to place a low 15-yard shot that looked destined for the net. Former Shrews’ keeper Chris Neal had other ideas, getting down to his left to push the ball away to safety.

Down at the school end Dennis Politic dragged a shot wide of the target and soon after Rooney’s pass sent Wiseman to the line on the right. The cross that followed was a good one, but the ball dropped over Gaffney’s head and Shrewsbury launched a swift counter. Anthony Grant made ground quickly through the middle before tucking a pass to the left for Okenabirhie. The low 16-yard shot that followed spun up off Salford defender Nathan Pond and Neal, who had committed himself, managed to extend an arm to push the ball away.

Another good save from Salford’s keeper to keep his old club at bay. The Ammies were getting into the odd good position yet the final ball they needed very largely evaded them. In the 21st minute Politic chipped a neat pass down the left for overlapping full-back Ibou Touray to chase. A drilled low delivery to the near post followed but despite Danny Lloyd’s close attentions Shrews’ keeper Steve Arnold got down to stop and hold the ball. Once again Shrewsbury responded by moving possession quickly to the other end where Norburn’s shot from outside the area deflected off Touray and over the bar.

Omar Beckles was the next to have a go for the visitors, meeting a clearance outside the box before slamming in a low drive that was always heading wide of Neal’s right-hand post. In the 27th minute Greg Docherty caught a 25-yard half-volley from the right sweetly enough, only for the ball to drop into Neal’s arms, well positioned to make the catch.

Shrewsbury were creating the better chances but their first contribution to the statistics was a yellow card for Norburn. The midfielder caught Lloyd with a heavy challenge wide on Salford’s right and he could have few complaints about the booking.

The next incident of note came 12 minutes before half-time, when Shrewsbury opened the scoring. Norburn’s corner from the left dropped over Rooney and just beyond the far post where Luke Waterfall arrived unmarked to get in a header that seemed to come back of Neal’s left-hand post. With the home keeper stranded possession fell nicely for OKENABIRHIE a few yards out and he made no mistake, lifting the ball into the net.

During the first game 11 days ago the Ammies dug out an equaliser a few minutes after going behind. They looked to repeat that trick here, but despite a few promising forays forward couldn’t find a way through the Shrewsbury defence. In the 44th minute the visitors very nearly doubled their lead when Josh Laurent let fly with a 20-yarder from right of centre. After switching the ball onto his left foot, the Shrewsbury man tried an effort that beat Neal before coming back off the face of the far post.

A two-goal deficit might have been a little harsh on Salford but it would be hard to argue against the Shrews deserving their 1-0 lead.


At first the second half didn’t promise much of a change in pattern. Salford were putting in the effort without reaping too much in the way of final third reward and the chances were falling to their opponents. Docherty would make his mark on the game in due course, but in the meantime, he hit a stinger from outside the left-hand angle of the box that Neal did well to hold, low down and just inside his right-hand upright.

The Shrews had another chance in the 53rd minute after Aaron Holloway touched down a cross from the left. The ball bounced temptingly for Beccles and he tried the spectacular, hitting a 15-yard bicycle-kick only for the well-placed Neal to make a straightforward save.

Salford had offered relatively little since the restart but almost forced an equaliser just a minute or so later. Wiseman advanced at pace on the right, played a neat one-two with Lloyd then hit an angled, rising effort that wasn’t too far wide of Arnold’s left-hand post.

Carl Piergianni picked up a yellow just before the hour after a heavy challenge on Okenabirhie. The free-kick came to nothing but Shrewsbury went close from a corner just past the hour mark. Norburn swung in a decent delivery from the left, with Waterfall getting in a stooping header that dropped over the crossbar.

At the other end Walker hit a shot from distance, with the ball spinning high into the air off a Shrewsbury defender. Arnold had to get across to his right to get to the dropping ball and seemed to collide with the post before spilling possession. A tricky moment for the keeper but he recovered well to claim possession before any home forward could get close enough to take advantage.

Some encouragement for the Ammies but their hopes of FA Cup progression took a bash in the 63rd minute. Joshua Emmanuel slipped a pass to Docherty on the right and the Rangers loanee made a beeline for the penalty area. Touray attempted to get in a challenge but DOCHERTY jinked away from him before heading for the line. Piergianni spotted the brewing danger but despite his last-gasp sliding challenge the midfielder had lashed an unstoppable effort from a very tight-angle with the ball smacking into the roof of the net.

A fantastic goal for the Shrews who now seemed to be in a very commanding position indeed. Salford were not looking particularly potent this evening and they had a lot of work to do if their interest in the cup was to be maintained.

Graham Alexander shuffled his pack with 25 minutes to play, bringing on Liam Hogan & Maynard. Off went Politic & Lloyd and those changes ushered in a change of formation. The Ammies now had a back 3, with Wiseman & Touray operating as wing-backs and midfielder Maynard lending his height and strength to the forward line.

Walker’s free-kick was saved comfortably enough by Arnold but generally the home side were still not looking likely to pick a way through the Town defence. A Wiseman cross was a little too high for Rooney and a composed looking Shrewsbury appeared to be in relatively little danger of being upset.

That comfortable situation ended abruptly in the 77th minute when the Ammies got a goal out of the blue. There didn't appear to be much danger as Danny Whitehead collected Gaffney's pass, wide on the left and not too far inside the Shrewsbury half of the pitch. The cross that followed, hit diagonally, was a belter and ROONEYmet it perfectly, getting up above Mat Sadler before guiding a right-of-centre 8-yard header that dropped over Arnold and into the net.

The complexion of the game shifted after that goal, with an enthused Salford scenting an equaliser and their previously in-control opponents suddenly looking a little bit nervous. With 11 minutes left Walker slid a great pass out to Touray on the left and he whipped in a cross that was inches too high for Maynard in the middle. Inside the final 10 Whitehead squared to the right for Wiseman to get in a cross. The ball was touched on beyond the far post where Touray tried an angled volley that flashed into the side-netting.

The pressure was on Shrewsbury and Walker got into the penalty area on the left. His progress was balked by what appeared to be a clear barge from Docherty, but the referee was unmoved by impassioned appeals for a penalty. We've seen those given...

Something of a let-off for the Shrews but they managed to steady the ship a bit after that, denying Salford the time and space they needed to build attacks - as they had done for most of the evening. The final minute of the 90 arrived with no further scares for Danny Coyne’s men, but the home crowd were roused again when a full 6 minutes of time added on was announced.

During the 1st of those defender Hogan emerged from the back, driving forward from his own half and deep into Shrewsbury territory. There were options to either side, but the Salford substitute could only stroke in a low effort that Arnold watched roll by his left-hand post.

That would be Salford’s last chance to get back on level terms and 2 minutes later the game was pushed beyond their reach. Pond dwelled a moment too long in possession and the pressing Laurent nicked the ball away on Shrewsbury's right . A neat piece of footwork took him inside Hogan's sliding challenge, but Neal was on hand to block the shot that followed. The ball dropped to the left whereOKENABIRHIE took a steadying touch before drilling a low 10-yard finish inside the keeper's right-hand post. A touch of relief for the travelling Shrews behind Neal's goal but their side had one foot - and most of the other - in the next round now.

FA Cup exit was staring the Ammies in the face, but they refused to throw in the towel. A delivery into the box was nudged to the right by Rooney and Wiseman's rising 12-yard left-footer crashed off the face of the crossbar and away to safety. Right at the death Hogan lofted in a cross from the same side, with Piergianni getting up to glance down an effort. The ball dropped just outside Arnold’s right-hand post and that would be the last chance for either side. A good effort from Salford but it is Shrewsbury Town who entertain Scunthorpe United in the second round on 2nd December.


The Shrews deserve that place in the next round, but had Walker been awarded that late penalty we might just have been reflecting on a different outcome. At that point of the evening momentum was with the Ammies, but in the end they couldn’t haul themselves back onto level terms.

The first-half was something of a disappointment for the home side as they struggled to find quality in the final third. The lion’s share of chances went the way of a Shrewsbury team who pressed well and their grip on the game only really loosened after Rooney’s strike 13 minutes from the end. The League One side had that little bit extra on the night but Salford will learn from these two games against opponents from two divisions higher.

A tremendous run of 19 unbeaten league and cup matches has come to an end and the team deserve huge credit for the consistency they’ve shown since that last defeat – all the way back at Sutton in August.

Good luck to Danny Coyne and his team in the next round – Salford’s next challenge is a trip to fellow promotion chasers on Saturday.

Attendance: 2,432 (378 from Shrewsbury Town)