S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Salford City FC
Kyle Letheren
Scott Wiseman
Ibou Touray
Liam Hogan (c)
Adam Rooney

Thomas-Asante 61'

Tom Elliott

Wilson 61'

Cameron Burgess
Jack Baldwin
Yellow card for Jack Baldwin
Bruno Andrade

Conway 78'

Michael O'Connor
Ash Hunter
Plymouth Argyle
Alex Palmer
Scott Wootton
Yellow card for Scott Wootton
Niall Canavan
Antoni Sarcevic
1 goals for Antoni Sarcevic Yellow card for Antoni Sarcevic
Joe Edwards (c)
Danny Mayor

Josh Grant 88'

Tyreeq Bakinson
Byron Moore
1 goals for Byron Moore
Callum McFadzean
Luke Jephcott

Joel Grant 67'

George Cooper
Yellow card for George Cooper

Hardie 78'

Chris Neal
Oscar Threlkeld
Richie Towell
Brandon Thomas-Asante
Craig Conway
James Wilson
2 goals for James Wilson 2 goals for James Wilson
Mike Cooper
Dom Telford
Conor Grant
Joel Grant
Ryan Hardie
1 goals for Ryan Hardie
Adam Randell
Josh Grant
Manager - Graham Alexander
Manager - Ryan Lowe
Match Officals
Referee - Paul Marsden
Assistant Referee - Alix Pashley
Assistant Referee - Steven Rushton
Fourth Official - David Richardson

Close Team Sheet


The Ammies came from behind twice courtesy of debut goals from James Wilson, only to be denied a deserved share of the spoils by an injury time winner for Plymouth Argyle. Either of the two sides could have snatched victory during a pulsating, breathless second half but in the end it was the visitors who returned home with all 3 points as the Peninsula Stadium “curse of the West Country” struck again

There were no changes from the side that drew with Crawley Town on Saturday and the game went ahead despite the ravages of Storm Ciara.

Salford started the game in brisk fashion and could have opened the scoring within 2 minutes of kick-off. Bruno Andrade’s powerful run on the right was followed up by a ball across the edge of the box that found Tom Elliott, left of centre. The big striker spied a chance to record his first league goal at the Peninsula Stadium, but could only direct a low, angled 16-yarder wide of Alex Palmer’s left-hand upright. There was another decent chance a couple of minutes later as the ball fell for Adam Rooney from Andrade’s cross from the right. The club’s top-scorer tried a volley from just outside the box, only to see the effort fly wide of Palmer’s left-hand post.

Hunter had a shot blocked after that and with a dozen minutes played the Ammies bundled home from a corner only to see the effort chalked off, apparently for a foul on the keeper.

An enterprising start from the Ammies but it was fizzling out by the time Hunter sent an effort from distance well wide.

Plymouth had offered very little so far yet went ahead in the 19th minute. Antoni Sarcevic’s ball from wide on the right found BYRON MOORE, towards the far post and on the edge of the 6-yard box. A first touch stopped the ball dead before Moore swivelled to lift a shot high into the net.

Nicely created and taken, but there were question marks about the defending that allowed Moore time and space to put the visitors ahead.

Salford looked to respond and on 26 minutes Rooney set up Andrade for a right-of-centre shot that curved just outside Palmer’s left-hand post. A decent effort, but it was Argyle who looked most likely to dd to the scoring as the interval approached.

Some good approach play from the visitors was short only of a quality final ball, although they did go close to doubling their lead 9 minutes before half-time. George Cooper made good ground on the left before whipping a low cross along the edge of the 6-yard box.
Skipper Joe Edwards slid in and had any contact been made the 1,005 travelling Argyle fans at the school end would have been celebrating Plymouth’s 2nd goal of the evening.

In the 38th minute Hunter launched a great, lofted pass out to the left, with Andrade pushing forward before aiming a cross at the near post. Rooney got there but was under considerable defensive pressure as he headed wide of the upright.

Andrade had a go himself next, cutting in from the left before slamming in a low shot that Palmer could only parry. There were red shirts buzzing about, but a defender managed to clear Plymouth’s lines.

During the 1st minute of 2 to be added on Rooney did well to keep the ball in play on the right before nudging a pass back to Scott Wiseman. The full-back’s cross was contested by Elliott and Scott Wootton and after Palmer had gathered the loose ball, the Plymouth defender required treatment for a knock.


A hard-fought first half with relatively few clear-cut opportunities, and the Ammies might have considered themselves a little unfortunate to be behind.

There were no changes in personnel and what would turn out to be a great half’s entertainment got off to a bright start. For Plymouth, Cooper delivered a decent cross from the left that Sarcevic couldn’t quite get onto the end of. At the other end Rooney was inches away from making contact with a low cross from the right.

Cooper was involved again in the 50th minute as his run on the left was finished off by a thumping, rising drive that former Pilgrim Kyle Letheren managed to push wide of his right-hand post.

The game got a little bit feisty for a while after Jack Baldwin was booked for a foul on Sarcevic. In the meantime, Cooper’s effort from the free-kick, nearly 30 yards out and centrally positioned, didn’t dip anywhere near enough to trouble Letheren.

Danny Mayor was booked for a clumsy challenge on Michael O’Connor, with the foul setting off a spot of pushing and shoving that saw Sarcevic follow his teammate into the referee’s notebook.

That card didn’t seem to knock the impressive Sarcevic out of his stride and in the 56th minute he hit a right-of-centre half-volley from 16 yards the Letheren around his left-hand post.

A good save to keep his former team at bay, and Salford would soon find their own attacking feet. O’Connor’s free-kick from a deep, central position dropped into the box, with Elliott flicking on a header that dropped just wide of Palmer’s left-hand post.

That would be the former Millwall striker’s final contribution of the evening as he and striker partner Rooney were replaced by Wilson and Brandon Thomas-Asante. As far as inspired substitutions go, this would be a cracker as Salford got back on terms during the very next minute. A cross from the right dropped beyond the far post, with Thomas-Asante doing well to head back inside. WILSON rose high to nod the bouncing ball towards goal and although Palmer got a touch, it dropped inside his left-hand post to make it 1-1.

A goal from his first touch in a Salford shirt and there would be more to come from the former Manchester United man.

Having worked hard to get back on terms the Ammies almost gifted Plymouth a 2nd goal on 66 minutes. Cameron Burgess’ attempt to head a dropping ball back to Letheren didn’t even look like getting there, allowing Byron to nip and head towards goal. This was a big chance but Salford captain Liam Hogan didn’t hesitate as he got across to put in a tremendous challenge inside the penalty area.

A great bit of defending from Hogan, but the respite it brought would be rather short lived. A cross from the right was cleared only as far as SARCEVIC who from 20 yards out and just right of centre guided a superb lobbed finish out of Letheren’s reach and just inside the far post. The Mancunian scored on his last visit to Moor Lane, almost 10 years ago when he was playing for Woodley Sports and repeated the trick here in impressive fashion.

The travelling Pilgrims had enjoyed that one, but their exuberant celebrations were stifled within another 2 minutes. Wilson passed to Ibou Touray on the left and his forward ball sent Andrade into space. A low delivery into the middle followed and WILSON took a steadying touch before evading his marker with a neat turn, then placed a low left-footed finish beyond Palmer's reach and inside the far post.

Two goals within 10 minutes of coming on is a fair old way to introduce yourself to your new club’s fans and it could have been even better. Within another minute Hunter’s chipped pass into the right-hand side of the box fell for Wilson, but with Palmer closing him down, he couldn’t find a finish. The ball went loose, and Hunter hit a low shot that was blocked by a green-shirted defender.

Craig Conway replaced Andrade with 13 minutes to play and the frantic end-to-end action continued apace. Asante did superbly to emerge in possession from a crowd of green shirts in midfield before advancing toward the penalty area. A nudged pass to the left found Wilson who was denied a hat-trick as Palmer got a touch to push the ball over the bar.

The chances continued to flow and 10 minutes from time Conway pushed a pass to Asante on the right. There were options in the middle, but Asante chose to drive in a low shot that was collected by Palmer at the base of his left-hand post.

Plymouth immediately countered with substitute Ryan Hardie chasing an apparent lost cause of a ball on the right, then managing to hook a delivery to the near post. Fellow sub Joel Grant hit a first-time shot that cannoned off Touray and behind for a corner on the right.

The set-piece was cleared to the edge of the box and suddenly the break was on as Conway’s driving run took him deep into Plymouth territory. For a moment it was 3 against 2 in Salford’s favour but Touray, popping up in the inside right channel, was held up by a fast retreating defender and then fouled. Hunter lined up the right-of-centre free-kick but his shot on goal from 25 yards dropped harmlessly over the bar.

Frantic stuff, and there would be let-up as the final whistle approached. Seven minutes from time Touray dropped a free-kick from the right into the box. It almost dropped for Hogan in front of goal but the bounce beat him, allowing Palmer to collect.

The action switched to the other end, with Hardie moving inside from the right only to see his low shot blocked by Burgess. The Ammies launched a quick counter-attack and after Conway slid a pass out to the right, Hunter smashed a rising, angled shot into the side-netting.

There was absolutely no respite for either defence and Plymouth Sarcevic – in space on the left – saw his shot blocked before Edwards’ follow-up effort was charged down.

It was looking as if the respective sides might have to settle for a point each, but it’s no surprise that this firecracker of a second half had one last explosion to provide. During the 1st minute of 5 to be added on Hardie got away from Burgess on Plynouth’s right before outpacing the chasing Touray and cutting into the box. Hogan arrived to put in a sliding challenge and HARDIE got a stroke of luck as his angled effort flicked off the Salford defender before dropping inside the far post.

Cue scenes of wild celebration behind the goal as that long journey back to suddenly didn’t seem such an onerous prospect.

The Ammies, of course, didn’t give up and a number of dangerous crosses – as well as a couple of corners – had to be dealt with by the thin green line as the seconds ticked away. They all were, and despite playing their part in a tremendous half of football Salford City were unjustly left without anything to show for their efforts.


This turned out to be a memorable evening at the Peninsula Stadium, despite the challenging conditions. A first half of graft and endeavour gave way to second that saw both sides looking to score goals. Good stuff for the neutral and – in then end – the thousand or so Plymouth supporters who made an arduous journey to roar on their team in fine style.

A great way to bounce back from Saturday’s 3-0 defeat at Colchester United, but it has to be said – that late goal was more than a bit tough on Salford City.

Graham Alexander’ side had the resilience to score two equalisers thanks to Wilson’s quality in front of goal, but there was no time to go in search of a 3rd. There will be disappointment at the way those goals were conceded too, and that a 7th home league defeat of the season has been recorded.

Some reasons to be cheerful for Salford fans certainly, not least Wilson’s sharpness in front of goal, but this defeat leaves the Ammies 10 points outside the play-off positions with 13 games left to play. It’s going to need a fair old winning run to make up that difference, and Saturday’s trip to bottom of the table Stevenage is looking a little bit like a ‘must win’ game.

At least there are no more West Country sides due to visit us this season...

Attendance: 2,297 (1,005 Plymouth Argyle)