S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Salford City FC
Max Crocombe
Gus Mafuta
Yellow card for Gus Mafuta
Liam Hogan (c)
Yellow card for Liam Hogan (c)
Adam Rooney

Rodney '30

Josh Askew
Joe Muscatt
Mani Dieseruvwe
1 goals for Mani Dieseruvwe
Dennis Politic

Moncrieffe '74

Amine Linganzi

Doyle '68

James Jones
Kieran Glynn
Maidstone United
Dion-Curtis Henry
Dan Meredith
Will De Havilland
Aron Davies
Jack Powell
Jack Paxman
Dan Wishart
Simon Walton
Yellow card for Simon Walton
Ollie Muldoon
Michael Phillips
1 goals for Michael Phillips

Tajbakhsh '86

Shaun Donnellan
Chris Neal
Danny Lloyd
Devante Rodney
Alex Doyle
Kamar Moncrieffe
Josh Strizovic
George McLennan
Jack Richards
Rob Swaine
Aryan Tajbakhsh
Manager - Graham Alexander
Head of Football - John Still
Head Coach - Hakan Hayrettin
Match Officals
Referee - David Richardson
Assistant Referee - Robert Wainwright
Assistant Referee - Paul Ince
Fourth Official - Alex Gray

Close Team Sheet


Salford City must make the long journey to Maidstone for a replay after this 1-1 FA Trophy draw at The Peninsula Stadium. Both of the evening’s goals came during the 1st half, with Michael Phillips putting the visitors ahead before Mani Dieseruvwe grabbed an equaliser. There were a number chances created after the interval, but none were taken and Stockport’s quarter-final opponents will be decided at The Gallacher Stadium next Tuesday evening (tbc)..

Ammies’ manager Graham Alexander made 9 changes from the side that started the National League draw at FC Halifax Town 10 days ago, with only Joe Muscatt & Adam Rooney included in both line-ups. Making his Salford debut today was former Swindon Town midfielder Amine Linganzi, one of 2 players who joined the club at the end of last week.

A crowd of just over 700 had assembled for this game and they witnessed a quiet start to the evening’s proceedings. The first incident of any note came when Ollie Muldoon’s corner for Maidstone was cleared by the home defence. Jack Powell picked up possession on the right-hand side of the area but his low, inviting ball across the face of goal didn’t get a touch.

Salford’s early attacking efforts had amounted to a couple of crosses that were cleared, but they almost went ahead on 15 minutes. Linganzi’s ball over the top caught out the Stones defence and it was a straight race between Rooney and visiting keeper Dion Curtis Henry. It was the debutant Stones keeper who got there first but his clearance only went as far as Kieran Glynn. From more than 30 yards out and right-of-centre the former FC United man lofted in an effort that soared over the stranded Henry before dropping just wide of his right-hand post.

Close for The Ammies and they were seeing more of the ball in attacking positions. Just before the midpoint of the 1st half a clever Denis Politic through-ball found Mani Dieseruvwe on the edge of the box, but Henry had closed him down quickly. The pair went to ground and it was Dieseruvwe who dug the ball out of a desperate tussle, forcing it towards the goal. Rooney was after it in a flash but his attempt to force home were thwarted by a great blocking challenge from Aron Davies, right in front of his own goal.

Great defensive work from Maidstone and they responded in fine style, breaking quickly to take the lead. A couple of quick passes out of defence had Salford on their collective back-foot and Michael Phillips’ turn of pace took him between two defenders and en-route for goal. Ammies’ keeper Max Crocombe advanced to close down the angles but PHILLIPS kept his cool, stroking a cool, low finish between the keeper and his left-hand upright.

Suitably encouraged by that well-taken goal, Maidstone pushed forward again and might have hand another just 2 minutes later. Dan Wishart’s advance on the left took him into the area where he made a yard of space before hitting a rising effort narrowly wide of Crocombe’s right-hand post.

There was a further blow for Salford on the half-hour as Rooney was forced off with an injury, to be replaced by Devante Rodney. Not great news for the home supporters but they were cheering within 4 minutes as their side conjured an equaliser. Joe Muscatt’s ball out to the right found Glynn whose cross into the danger area wasn’t deal with by the Stones defence. On hand was DIESERUVWE who had a simple task, tapping home from close range to level the scores.

A 3rd FA Trophy goal of the season for the big striker and Salford were soon looking for more. Eight minutes before half-time Denis Politic, back in the side for the first time since 22nd December, tried his luck with a low 25-yarder that Henry got down to save and hold. It was worth a try on a surface made slick by increasingly heavy rainfall, but the keeper was equal to it.

At the other end Muldoon’s corner from the left dropped for Will De Havilland beyond the far post. The Stones skipper had to stoop to get in an 8-yard header but could only lift the ball high over the crossbar. Maidstone won another corner as the half moved into time added on and De Havilland met this one at the far post too. This time his downward 7-yard header appeared to be goalbound until a defender hacked it away from inside the 6-yard box.


Maidstone made a bright start to the 2nd half and could have retaken the lead within its 1st minute. Davies’ diagonal ball from wide on the right dropped for Jack Powell on the far side of the box and he edged into a little bit of space. The shot came in but Muscatt got in to make a great blocking challenge and Salford were soon trying to hit on the counter. Rodney pushed forward on the left before checking inside to hit a rising effort that was always heading wide of Henry’s right-hand upright.

In the 52nd minute a throw-in from Maidstone’s right wasn’t dealt with by the home defence but Phillips, despite being well placed, couldn’t get in a shot. The danger was partially with Muldoon pouncing on the loose ball to hit a powerful low effort that was charged down inside the penalty area.

The Ammies put together one of their better moves in the 58th minute after Politic’s powerful run was finished off by a pass to the left for Rodney. Politic had continued his run through the middle bit the cross dropped over him and just beyond the far post. Glynn was on the end of it, hitting a 6-yard first-time angled effort that Henry did well to save and hold.

It was Rodney’s turn to test Henry next after the striker nicked possession away from an opponent outside the Maidstone area. A well-struck low shot spun off Henry’s body, but the keeper recovered well to smother the ball as red-shirted opponents closed in.

For Maidstone, Phillips nodded down a cross from deep on the right for Powell to line up a shot. It was a decent chance, but Powell couldn’t keep the shot down as the ball cleared the bar by a few yards. A couple of minutes later it looked as if Phillips’ smart turn would leave Liam Hogan in his wake, only for the Salford captain to put in a challenge that wouldn’t have been out of place at the AJ Bell. Needless to say, that one earned a yellow card and from the right-of-centre 25-yard free-kick Muldoon almost caught Salford out. A delicately curling low shot was on target to creep inside Crocombe’s left-hand upright until the keeper spotted the danger, getting across quickly to claim the ball.

The Stones were finishing the evening strongly and another Muldoon free-kick, from wide on the right and 5 yards inside Salford territory, dropped for Phillips just outside the area. The striker adjusted his position but got his angles all wrong as he drilled a low effort yards wide of Crocombe’s right-hand post.

Eleven minutes from time a Muldoon corner from the left was headed just over and it was Jack Paxman’s turn to deliver a set-piece soon afterwards. This one dropped just beyond the far post where De Havilland got in a header that deflected wide off a defender.

The Stones piled on quite a bit of pressure as the final whistle approached and 3 minutes from time lively substitute Aryan Tajbakhsh clipped in a cross from the left with Davies heading just over from 6 yards out.

It was the visitors who had looked most likely to grab a late winner and they had gone quite close a couple of times. The really big change went to Salford though, in the 2nd minute of time added on. The Ammies broke from another spell of Maidstone pressure with Muscatt’s lofted cross-field ball sending Rodney racing away on a left-of-centre run. Under pressure from a defender Rodney’s run took him just inside the area and here was a chance to settle the tie right at the death. It wasn’t taken as a low shot smacked just wide and into the side netting, much to the despair of the home supporters gathered behind Henry’s goal.


There was time for no more and that late miss consigned The Ammies to a 520-mile round-trip for the replay. Maidstone were good value for the draw and could have snatched a win, but Rodney’s late, late chance really should have settled the game in Salford’s favour.

A creditable display from an experimental line-up though, and we go again, probably next Tuesday.
Attendance: 706 (approximately 20 from Maidstone United)