S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Salford City FC
Max Crocombe
Ibou Touray
Gus Mafuta

Whitehead '67

Liam Hogan (c)
Carl Piergianni
Danny Lloyd

Rodney '71

Tom Walker
Liam Nolan
Mani Dieseruvwe
1 goals for Mani Dieseruvwe

Gaffney '46

Dennis Politic
Harry Brockbank
Yellow card for Harry Brockbank
Mark Foden
Robbie Tinkler
Yellow card for Robbie Tinkler
Scott Barrow (c)
Jack Hunter
Fraser Kerr
Mike Williamson
Luke Armstrong
1 goals for Luke Armstrong
Steven Rigg
JJ O'Donnell

Devitt '78

Tom White

Olley '58

Luke Molyneux

Boden '63

Chris Neal
Scott Wiseman
Danny Whitehead
Devante Rodney
2 goals for Devante Rodney 2 goals for Devante Rodney Yellow card for Devante Rodney
Rory Gaffney
Aynsley Pears
Connor Thomson
Greg Olley
Tom Devitt
Scott Boden
Manager - Graham Alexander
Manager - Steve Watson
Match Officals
Referee - Garreth Rhodes
Assistant Referee - Alan Hull
Assistant Referee - Adam Burgess
Fourth Official - Danny Hitchell

Close Team Sheet


Salford City’s FA Trophy history is far from glorious but this evening a powerful performance saw them safely through to the second round for the first time ever. A first-half Mani Dieseruvwe header got the ball rolling and after the break substitute Devante Rodney’s brace proved enough to overcome fellow National League side Gateshead. The Ammies last won a game in this competition seven years ago, courtesy of a Gavin Salmon strike at Burscough, so a little bit of success is certainly overdue. Dagenham & Redbridge lie in wait and that Second Round clash is scheduled for the Peninsula Stadium on January 12th.

Despite manager Graham Alexander shuffling his pack a little, it was a strong Salford side that took to the field. Max Crocombe was given an outing in goal, with loan signing Harry Brockbank making his Salford debut at right-back. Liam Hogan stepped in for Nathan Pond in the centre of defence with Adam Rooney, Rory Gaffney & Danny Whitehead replaced by Dennis Politic, Mani Dieseruvwe and Gus Mafuta. A welcome return for midfielder Mafuta, who has been out since suffering an injury at Dagenham on the 1st day of September.

Salford started on the front foot and might have had a goal within the opening 4 minutes. Tom Walker’s turn of pace took him inside and into the penalty area on the left. A low delivery across the 6-yard box almost found Danny Lloyd but he was off-balance and couldn’t provide a finish. Soon after that Mafuta found a little space just outside the area and right-of-centre, but he lost balance too and could only prod in a low left-footer that posed no problems for Heed keeper Mark Foden.

A decent opening for The Ammies but Gateshead had a good opportunity in the 6th minute. Scott Barrow’s corner from the left was aimed at the near post and Jack Hunter darted in to meet it with a header that flashed just outside Crocombe’s right-hand post.

There was another chance for the Heed after JJ O’Donnell’s surging run took him past Brockbank and into the left-hand side of the box. The low ball inside fell for Luke Molyneux whose effort on goal took a deflection off a defender, spinning behind for a corner that came to nothing.

Some attacking encouragement for the visitors, but otherwise it was Salford who were getting on top, in terms of possession at least. Gateshead were defending well but were almost undone by a goalkeeping mistake in the 20th minute. Lloyd nudged a pass to the left for Politic whose 22-yard effort was fumbled by Foden. Gateshead’s keeper dropped the ball, then contrived to push it through his own legs and towards the goal-line. Fortunately for Steve Watson’s side Tom White was closer than Dieseruvwe and was able to get in a hurried clearance.

Soon after that Ibou Touray swung in a cross from the left, with Lloyd getting there to head narrowly wide of the keeper’s right-hand post.

That domination of possession continued for Salford but for a time there was no luck in the final third. Gateshead were solid and well organised with Foden’s goal generally protected very efficiently. Brockbank got past O’Donnell on Salford’s right 12 minutes before the interval but veteran defender Mike Williamson got across to the near post to head the cross behind. A couple of minutes later Touray found space on the left to drill a pacey, low cross into the area. Dieseruvwe controlled and turned smartly only to see his 7-yarder bravely blocked by O’Donnell at the expense of a corner. The set-piece from the left dropped beyond the far post and Hogan placed a controlled header back inside. DIESERUVWE was stationed on the edge of the 6-yard box and deftly guided a looping header that dropped gently inside Foden’s right-hand post.

A nicely worked goal for the Ammies who deserved to lead following an enterprising first-half performance.


Rory Gaffney replaced goal-scorer Dieseruvwe during the interval and Salford were soon looking to build on their narrow advantage. A few minutes after the restart Touray picked up possession on the left following a good passage of play. His well-struck shot from just outside the angle of the area had pace but didn’t dip quite enough to trouble Foden.

Within another minute or so Hogan unlocked the Heed defence with a threaded pass that sent Lloyd into the penalty area. A flicked left-footed effort looked promising but Foden - who had advanced quickly - made an excellent save, extending his right arm instinctively.

That could – and probably should – have been 2-0 and Lloyd had another go soon afterwards, hitting an effort from distance that dipped a foot over the crossbar.

Gateshead hadn’t really managed to create much since the start of the second half, but a chance came along for them just before the hour. Molyneux drilled a free-kick inside from wide on the right and O’Donnell let fly with a 20-yard volley that was blocked before it could find its way through to Crocombe.

Back at the other end Politic displayed dazzling footwork, weaving his way into the area on a left-of-centre run. A square ball inside followed but Williamson was there again, anticipating well to get in a clearance.

A couple of substitutions perked up Gateshead’s attacking ambitions and they very nearly conjured an equaliser as the game entered its final quarter. A neat passing move involved Greg Olley and Hunter before Luke Armstrong was released into the right-hand side of the area. The Heed striker slammed in an effort that Crocombe did well to keep out at his near post and the loose ball fell back to Armstrong. This time the angle was too acute for a shot, so a low pass was squared towards the near post. Salford substitute Danny Whitehead was facing his own goal and the ball spun off him onto the base of the upright. Fortune was with the Ammies as the ball rebounded into the path of a defender and a clearance swiftly followed.

The best chance of the evening for Gateshead but Salford were looking to score what could well be a crucial second goal. Robbie Tinkler was booked for dragging back Politic and Walker lined up the free-kick from wide on the left. The delivery was decent but although Piergianni got there first he couldn’t keep the header down.

Lloyd made way for Rodney after that and the change would have quite an impact, but the next chance went to Gateshead. Steve Rigg got his head to O’Donnell’s corner only to see the effort drop inches wide, with the referee ignoring Heed claims of a defensive deflection.

An escape for the Ammies but they were soon back on the offensive. Politic’s through-ball sliced open the Heed defence and Rodney got clear of his marker and into the area. A low effort was poked past the advancing Foden but the direction wasn't quite right as the ball scraped just wide of his right-hand upright.

The pressure on Foden’s goal was growing again and the keeper was forced into action, pushing Hogan’s downward header around the post. Politic delivered the corner, from the right and this time it was Piergianni who got his head to it only to see the effort blocked. Possession fell for Whitehead who hit a stinger of a rising drive, from left-of-centre and 22-yards out, forcing Foden into another fine save as he pushed the ball over. Another corner, this time from the left, and RODNEY got in a looping header that dropped over Foden and inside his right-hand post. The keeper got a hand to the ball but couldn’t keep it out and Gateshead’s FA Trophy ambitions were hanging by a thread.

That thread was snapped just 2 minutes later, thanks to a very nicely worked goal. A long Crocombe kick was flicked on by Politic in midfield and Gaffney sped off into acres of space on the left. A low squared ball into the area was met by RODNEY whose delicate first-time finish steered the low to Foden’s left from 6 yards out.

That was just about game over but The Ammies were flying now and looking for more goals. Another quick break gave Walker the chance to surge away on the left and once again a low delivery was played into the penalty area. Gaffney’s first touch was great, and he turned to poke in a shot that was well blocked by Foden.

Walker had a go with a free-kick from wide on the right after that, with Foden crouching to save at his near post. A Politic run ended with a 22-yarder that flew over the crossbar as Salford finished the match strongly.

There would be another goal in this game but despite the home side’s late pressure, it went to Gateshead. In the 89th minute Tinkler’s 20-yard snap-shot was straight at Crocombe, but the keeper spilled the ball to his left. ARMSTRONG was on hand to tap home from close range and the Heed had something to show for their long midweek trip.

It wouldn’t be enough however and Salford City have the rare experience of FA Trophy progression to savour.


A decent evening’s entertainment in front of a modest crowd at The Peninsula Stadium. The Ammies were on top for most of the 90 minutes but Gateshead will rue chances they didn’t take at key moments.

Manager Graham Alexander will be pleased with the performance and result, with the added bonus of two of his lesser used strikers getting onto the score-sheet, with well taken goals.

Peter Taylor’s Dagenham & Redbridge will provide second round opposition and – whisper it – Salford City are four rounds away from a possible Wembley cup final. Not too may of the 20 or so loyal supporters who saw that previous FA Trophy win on 22nd October 2011 would have considered that to be a particularly realistic prospect...

Attendance: 380 (15 from Gateshead)