S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Salford City FC
Tim Erlandsson
Michael Nottingham
Josh Askew
Lois Maynard
Yellow card for Lois Maynard
Carl Piergianni
1 goals for Carl Piergianni
Liam Hogan (c)
Nick Haughton

Allen '70

Gus Mafuta
Mani Dieseruvwe

Dudley '77

Jack Redshaw

Phenix '70

Tom Walker
Gainsborough Trinity
Henrich Ravas
Michael Jacklin
Brandon Fleming
Shane Clarke
Nathan Stainfield
Ioan Evans
Alex Simmons
Craig King

Hinchliffe '79

Nathan Jarman (c)
Yellow card for Nathan Jarman (c)

Worsfold '60

Liam King
Nicky Walker
Scott Burton
Mark Shelton
Anthony Dudley
Mike Phenix
Richie Allen
Jack Vann
Bradley Beatson
Ashley Worsfold
Ben Hinchliffe
Jordan Richards
Joint Manager - Bernard Morley
Joint Manager - Anthony Johnson
Manager - Lee Sinnott
Match Officals
Referee - Sam Mulhall
Assistant Referee - Matthew Scholes
Assistant Referee - Jon Kenny

Close Team Sheet


A Carl Piergianni header deep into time added on at the end of the first half proved enough to keep Salford City at the summit of the National League North. The Ammies deserved their win and should have scored more but at this stage of the season three points and a clean sheet will do very nicely indeed.

There was a single change to the side that beat Curzon Ashton on Good Friday, with Jack Redshaw restored the starting line-up at the expense of Anthony Dudley.

Despite a history stretching back over 140 years Gainsborough Trinity have never been promoted or relegated but that distinction might well come to an end this season. The Lincolnshire side arrived at The Peninsula Stadium this afternoon 4 points away from safety with games running out fast.

It was the top end of the table that concerned most of the spectators this afternoon and Trinity started well, winning an early corner and applying some pressure on Salford’s defence.

Encouraging for the band of travelling supporters gathered on the East Stand terrace but their side almost went behind in the 6th minute. It’s fair to say that Tom Walker has made quite an impact since signing from FC United 3 months ago and here he drifted past a challenge from the left before hitting a low shot that came back off the post.

The woodwork denied Salford again 5 minutes later after Michael Nottingham got to the line on the right before clipping in a cross that bounced off the top of the bar and back into play. Gainsborough managed to clear their lines and launched an attack of their own when a quickly taken free-kick played Nicky Walker into space on the left. The former Rotherham United winger pushed into the penalty area before hitting a stinging, angled drive that Tim Erlandsson parried and he couldn’t make space for another shot after picking up the loose ball.

A decent effort from Nicky Walker who would be Gainsborough’s best attacking bet for most of the afternoon. For now though the action switched to the other end of the field where Gus Mafuta squared from the left for Nick Haughton to hit a low 25-yarder that was always drifting wide of Heinrich Ravas’s right-hand upright. A few minutes later Haughton turned provider, advancing through the inside-left channel before slipping a pass to the right for Redshaw. After neatly cutting inside Nathan Stainfield Salford’s top-scorer hit a left-footer but that effort was straight at Ravas.

Nicky Walker did well soon after that, bamboozling Nottingham with a neat back-heel that sent overlapping full-back Brandon Fleming away down the left. The cross went in but Trinity were awarded a free-kick following an over enthusiastic challenge on Fleming from Haughton.

That set-piece came to nothing and it was Salford’s turn to attack next as Redshaw chased a long ball from the back towards the edge of the penalty area. Two Trinity defenders were converging and it was Fleming’s diving header that guided the ball safely back to Ravas.

Gainsborough skipper Nathan Jarman might carry a few extra pounds but he has the skill and vision to turn a game, as the Ammies found out to their cost towards the end of last season. In the 25th minute this afternoon he got in a shot from the edge of the box that caused concern for Erlandsson until the ball dropped just outside his right-hand post.

Salford were yet to entirely stamp their authority on the game but almost managed to edge ahead in the 28th minute. Mafuta’s pass gave Josh Askew space to advance into on the left and from outside the box he lashed a shot into the side-netting.

Haughton set off on one of his trademark mazy runs 12 minutes before the interval and this time he left 3 opponents in his wake before slamming in a left of centre shot that smacked into Trinity defender Stainfield. The ball dropped temptingly for Tom Walker but from a couple of yards outside the right-hand angle of the 6-yard box his volley soared over the crossbar. From their next attack Redshaw got away from former Ammie Craig King on the right and the subsequent cross was headed clear by Shane Clark. Possession dropped for Nottingham who hit an on-target first-time shot but Clark got in the way again, deflecting the ball away to safety.

A few opportunities for Salford but Trinity were dangerous on the break and Nicky Walker capitalised on confusion between Liam Hogan and Lois Maynard by getting clear for a left-of-centre run. It seemed as if Nottingham had done enough as the winger reached the angle of the box but a cut inside opened up a clear sight of goal. This looked ominous for Salford but Walker seemed to lose balance as he got in a shot that cleared the bar from just to the left of the penalty spot.

The Ammies finished the half on the front foot with Mani Dieseruvwe sliding a pass out to Tom Walker on the right. A quick dart inside took the former Bolton man across the edge of the area but his left-footer spun of Stainfield before dropping just outside Ravas’s left-hand post for a corner. It was Tom Walker who took it, low to the near post before picking up Redshaw’s return pass. A delicately chipped cross to the far post failed to find an Ammie head but the ball dropped just wide of the upright.

It seemed as if Salford would finish the first half without scoring for the 4th time in 6 home games but there was time for one more attack. In the 3rd minute of time added on Tom Walker’s corner from the left was aimed at the far stick. Hogan’s header might have been on a course to go wide but Craig King, stationed near Ravas’s right-hand post took no chances by noddng clear. He should probably have let it go – Walker picked up the loose ball to swing another cross just beyond the far post and Hogan was there again to nod the ball back and into the six yard box. Trinity had defended diligently during the first half but nobody in blue reacted this time as PIERGIANNI arrived the crash a header home from 4 or 5 yards out.


An all-important goal for the Ammies scored at a most strategic time and it probably suited them that the first 10 minutes or so of the second half were quiet. A lung-bursting Tom Walker run ended with a cross that was cleared but that was about it in terms of excitement for the early stages of the second period.

Salford had a decent shout for a penalty denied by the referee in the 56th minute. Haughton did well to hold onto possession in the middle then found Tom Walker with a low pass out to the right. The cross that followed was dropping towards the far post where Dieseruvwe was closing in, only to be dragged back by a defender. It looked like a penalty but Salford were left disappointed as the outcome was a goal-kick to Gainsborough.

The home side forced a couple of corners as their share of possession gradually increased but Trinity were protecting Ravas’s goal with a fair degree of determination. Gainsborough replaced skipper Jarman with Ashley Worsfold on the hour but the change had little effect as Salford further tightened their grip on the game.

Trinity were handed an unexpected opening in the 62nd minute after Haughton dawdled in possession on the edge of his own penalty area. Liam King nipped in to whip the ball away before lifting in a left-footed shot that curled gently into the waiting arms of Erlandsson.

Generally though it was the Gainsborough defence that were having to work and Tom Walker broke on the right before cutting back a low pass from the line. Redshaw was on the end of it but Trinity got in another block as the ball deflected away off Ioan Evans.

With 64 minutes played Tom Walker delivered a left-footed corner from the right with Hogan getting up at the far post to glance a close range effort down and narrowly wide of the upright.

The Ammies were cranking up the pressure and Piergianni almost notched his second of the game just a minute or so later. This time Tom Walker took a free-kick from deep on the right and the big centre half met the ball on the penalty spot with a goal-bound header. Ravas reacted instinctively, getting down quickly to his left to push the ball out for another corner kick.

Tom Walker had a go himself next, picking up a Haughton pass after the midfielder had weaved his way past a couple of challenges with typical ease. From the right-hand angle of the box Tom Walker tried to place a low effort inside the far post only to see Ravas push the ball wide of the target.

Salford were on top but the 2nd goal they wanted was not materialising so changes were made 19 minutes from time. Richie Allen & Mike Phenix came on for Haughton & Redshaw but the next opportunity went to Trinity on the break. Alex Simmons passed to Nicky Walker on the left and his low cross deflected off a defender only to be smothered by the alert Erlandsson at his near post. Gainsborough’s Walker was causing problems again 5 minutes later, lobbing a cross into the area from the left that almost caught Salford out. Fortunately for the home side and their fans substitute Worsfold couldn’t get a touch and the ball bounced harmlessly wide of Erlandsson’s left-hand post.

A reminder or two, if any were needed, that one goal leads are precarious no matter how much possession you have and with 12 minutes left Anthony Dudley came on for Dieseruvwe.

The final 5 minutes plus time added on summed up the game pretty nicely. Salford created a few decent chances before conceding one to their opponents, just to keep the home supporters on their toes right until the end.

In the 85th minute Nottingham advanced on the right before squaring a pass to Richie Allen. A ferociously struck shot from 17 yards cleared the bar by a foot and Trinity’s hopes of pinching a point were still alive and kicking. The visitors couldn’t make any attacking headway for now and in the final minute of the 90 Allen’s run took him into the area before a low shot clipped off the outside of Ravas’s left-hand upright and out for a goal-kick.

An attacking end to the game almost took a nasty turn for Salford during the 2nd minute of time added on. Simmons found Fleming on the left and he got away from Walker before turning the ball back inside. Simmons was there to collect the return pass and swung a cross to the far post where Michael Jacklin made his move. Breath was held all around The Peninsula Stadium but after a nervous second or two Erlandsson managed to drop down onto the ball to deny Trinity a late leveller.

There was still time for Salford to push forward again and once more the chance fell for Allen who picked up Tom Walker’s pass into the right-hand side of the area. It seemed as if the former Fylde man had been boxed in to the line but he swivelled past Fleming before lashing a shot over the bar from the right-hand angle of the 6-yard box.

There was no time left and the referee’s whistle dropped 3 deserved, if hard won, points into the Ammie promotion pot.


From Salford City’s point of view the afternoon’s objective was achieved – three points to keep them clear of Harrogate Town at the summit of the National League North. A more comfortable margin would have been nice but 6 out of Salford’s 7 last wins have been by just one goal.

It’s fair to say that the Ammies lacked true fluency at times this afternoon but even so they probably should have chalked up 3 or 4 goals despite Trinity’s defensive stubbornness. Having said that the visitors caused the odd problem on the break and on another day might have snatched an equaliser right at the death. That would have been very rough justice on Salford but football has never been a fair game.

It’s a case now of retaining composure over the last 4 matches, safe in the knowledge that if all of them are won promotion will be secured. The recent form suggests that sort of finish to the season is entirely possible – the Ammies have won 6 and drawn 3 of their last 9 outings. We even had a 1st clean sheet in 12 games this afternoon and a few more of them would be exactly what the doctor ordered.

Hopes that York City might hold up Harrogate were dashed as Town ran out impressive 2-0 winners at Bootham Crescent. Brackley Town are still in the race of course but they need snookers to claim the automatic promotion place.
Four games left, 10 points needed it is then…

1-0 Carl PIERGIANNI (45+3 mins)

Attendance: 1,288