S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Salford City FC
Chris Neal
Ibou Touray
Oscar Threlkeld
Liam Hogan (c)
Luke Armstrong

Lloyd 81'

Lois Maynard
Yellow card for Lois Maynard

Jones 62'

Cameron Burgess
Richie Towell
Brandon Thomas-Asante

Rooney 70'

Jake Jervis
Craig Conway
Exeter City
Jonny Maxted
Pierce Sweeney
Nigel Atangana
Aaron Martin
Yellow card for Aaron Martin
Randell Williams
Ryan Bowman
1 goals for Ryan Bowman
Tom Parkes
Alex Fisher

Law 54'

Dean Moxey
Jake Taylor (c)

L.Martin 75'

Archie Collins
Kyle Letheren
Carl Piergianni
Adam Rooney
Danny Lloyd
Danny Whitehead
Joey Jones
Alex Doyle
Jack Arthur
Lee Martin
Nicky Law
Nicky Ajose
Matt Jay
Jayden Richardson
Ben Seymour
Manager - Graham Alexander
Match Officals
Referee - Sebastian Stockbridge
Assistant Referee - David Plowright
Assistant Referee - Steven Rushton
Fourth Official - Alan Clayton

Close Team Sheet


’Harsh’ is the word that springs most readily to mind when looking back at this match from a Salford City point of view. The Ammies were the better side for most of the afternoon, creating a string of chances only to be undone by a single lapse of concentration during the first half. A disappointing result of course, but encouragement has to be taken from a very good performance against a team who are currently 2nd in League Two.

There were changes from the XI that started last Saturday’s game at Colchester, starting at left-back where injured Dan Jones was replaced by Ibou Touray. Craig Conway came in for Danny Lloyd on one flank, with Jake Jervis filling the gap left by Touray returning to his accustomed left-back position. Up front Brandon Asante got his first EFL start for Salford, alongside Luke Armstrong.

The Ammies started well, moving the ball around well and almost fashioned the game’s first chance as early as the 3rd minute. Asante advanced through the middle before sliding a pass out to Conway on the right. There was one man to beat, but the defender got a foot in to avert the danger.

Asante was involved again a few minutes later, passing to Armstrong who moved possession out to the left for Jervis. The cross was decent, met by an Armstrong volley that flashed past the upright from just outside the near angle of the six-yard box.

Positive stuff from Salford and in the 10th minute a ball inside from the right found Asante. The former MK Dons man twisted away from his marker before hitting a low, left-footed 20-yarder that lacked the pace or accuracy to trouble visiting keeper Jonny Maxted.

There was another chance for the home side soon afterwards as a Jervis run on the left was followed by a pass that found Armstrong inside the penalty area. From an angle on the left, he hit a pacey shot wide of Maxted’s right-hand post.

All Salford so far and it took the Grecians 15 minutes to muster a threat on the home goal. Randell Williams is a tricky customer and he pushed forward on the right, playing a one-two with Jake Taylor before aiming a cross at the near post. Lois Maynard had dropped back and was on hand to head behind for a corner, but that right flank would eventually prove fruitful for The Grecians.

It nearly did so a minute or so later as Archie Collins nudged a pass back to Williams and he launched another cross to the near post. This time Alex Fisher was on the end of it and his well-struck 8-yarder was expertly blocked by Chris Neal.

Encouragement for the raucous near-700 gathered behind the school end goal, after spending the opening quarter-hour watching their team defend.

The Ammies rolled forward again and midway through the first half Conway rolled a pass to the left for Jervis to collect. The Luton loanee tried to float an effort inside the far post from just outside the angle of the box, and wasn’t far off target with his ambitious effort.

Some decent chances for Salford, and they really should have gone ahead just before the half-hour. Jervis found space to attack on the left again and his cross into the danger area was a beauty. Big central defender Burgess has an eye for goal, and he got up high to power in a 6-yard header that beat Maxted only to crash against the underside of the crossbar before dropping back into play. The goal was gaping but from only a few yards out home skipper Liam Hogan could only scoop the bouncing ball over the crossbar.

So, so close for The Ammies and it’s probably fair to say that they haven’t enjoyed the best of luck in front of goal recently. Fortune would frown on them again soon and there was a forewarning as Williams again delivered a dangerous cross from the right, with Burgess forced to head behind.

That corner was cleared, but in the 33rd minute Exeter went ahead, against the run of play. A Williams cross from the right was cleared as far as the halfway line, where Tom Parkes played a great ball out to Pierce Sweeney on the right. Once again the cross was aimed at the near post area and this time RYAN BOWMAN got up to place a header across Neal and inside the far post.

A nicely constructed goal for The Grecians, but Salford City could consider themselves rather unlucky to be behind after an enterprising half-hour. The home side pressed forward in search of an equaliser, but a number of crosses were dealt with by the Exeter defence.

Salford were still looking vulnerable to attacks down their left flank and 6 minutes before the interval Williams swung in another cross from a wide position. Again the near post was his target and this time Fisher got in a header that dropped comfortably over the crossbar.

The Ammies could have gone two down there yet a minute or so later they almost levelled the scores. Asante played a top-class diagonal ball from deep to the right flank where Conway had space to exploit. The Scotsman struck his 18-yarder well enough, but Maxted produced a quality save, pushing the ball away to relative safety on the right.

Another big chance not taken and that would be the last incident of note after an entertaining half’s football.


There were no changes made during the break and Salford started the second half as they had finished the first – searching for a goal. In the 50th minute Touray’s cross from the left seemed to have done the trick but Maxted pulled off a superb save, pushing Hogan’s powerful 6-yard header over the crossbar.

Ammies left-back Touray delivered another cross soon afterwards yet Armstrong could only head downwards and behind at the far stick. At the other end Collins tested Neal with a low effort from just outside the left-hand angle of the box, with the keeper doing well to save and hold that one.

The Grecians were having a decent spell and anxious home eyes turned towards the referee as Williams took a tumble inside the penalty area. The official waved play on and seconds later a low Nicky Law 18-yarder was saved by Neal.

For the first time this afternoon momentum was moving away from Salford, but they are a determined outfit and worked hard to wrestle it back. Touray crossed again from his left flank but despite a good position inside the area Asante’s 9-yard header dropped over the crossbar.

A couple of minutes later Burgess hit a long, lofted pass forward from halfway, wide on the left with Asante moving the ball on into the area. Conway arrived from the right in attempt to get to it, but Maxted was alert and claimed possession for himself.

Salford had their own penalty shout ignored on the hour after Conway’s left-footed cross from the right dropped towards the far post. Touray thought he had been shoved by Williams before the Exeter man nudged the ball out for a corner, but the referee disagreed.

The corner came to nothing and Graham Alexander made his first change of the afternoon as Joey Jones came on for Maynard. Exeter were defending well as the second half progressed and with 20 minutes to play Adam Rooney replaced Asante in the home forward line.

A Jervis cross narrowly evaded Conway in the middle, but chances were becoming scarce as The Grecians became intent on taking all 3 points back home to Devon. Salford’s forays forward carried promise until they reached the penalty area and in truth the game had become evenly balanced as the closing stages began.

In the 77th minute Aaron Martin lifted a long ball forward from the right-back position, with substitute Lee Martin almost getting it under control inside the area. Burgess did well, getting across to take the ball off the Exeter man’s toes, albeit at the expense of a corner. Aaron Martin got his head to the delivery but could only glance well wide of Neal’s right-hand post.

At the other end Parkes blocked a Conway shot on the edge of the box and Exeter survived another spell of pressure when they were awarded a free-kick.

Nigel Atangana hit a low shot from distance well wide of Neal’s right-hand upright and time was rapidly running out for Salford. With 5 minutes left a nicely crafted move looked like producing a chance as Rooney and Touray combined to send Lloyd into the box on the left. A good position, but frustratingly the Salford substitute slipped as he was about to cross, with the ball bobbling out for a goal kick.

Four minutes from time a Conway free-kick, left-footed from the right, found Joey Jones at the near post but the offside flag was up. Maxted had collided with Parkes as Exeter defended the set-piece but both were able to continue after treatment.

Salford deserved some reward from this game and came agonizingly close to getting it during the penultimate minute of the 90. Burgess played a forward ball to Joey Jones who slid a neat pass out to the left for Lloyd. A short advance was followed by a great little ball to the near post where Jervis arrived to flick a 6-yard rising effort towards the roof of the net. Maxted’s impressive afternoon finished in real style as the Exeter keeper instinctively stuck up a hand to divert the ball over his crossbar.

A great save and despite 5 minutes of time added on The Ammies couldn’t carve out any further opportunities.


In the cold – and wet – light of day, this marks Salford’s 3rd defeat in 4 league outings, with their only goals during that spell coming from the penalty spot. Those are the statistics, but as usual, they don’t tell the whole truth.

The home game -vs- Macclesfield Town should have yielded 3 points instead of 1 as the Ammies piled on pressure during a frantic final 15 minutes. Last week at Colchester Graham Alexander’s side played well, only to succumb to a goal scored deep into injury time.

Today, against one of the divisions front runners, The Ammies were the better side as they created at least 4 great opportunities yet – crucially – converted none of them. Exeter gobbled up the first serious chance that came their way, defended well after it and looked dangerous on the break.

Fine margins indeed, and Exeter City become the 4th side from the South West of the country to take 3 points back down the M5 from The Peninsula Stradium. The performance this afternoon was very encouraging and the game itself was a decent spectacle – the Ammies must now discover their touch in front of goal.

We’re on the right track – let’s get those festive goals flowing, starting at Valley Parade next Saturday…

Attendance: 2,922 (including 692 from Exeter)