S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Salford City FC
Max Crocombe
Liam Hogan (c)
Carl Piergianni
Adam Rooney

Dieseruvwe '66

Danny Lloyd
Josh Askew
Liam Nolan
Joe Muscatt
Devante Rodney
1 goals for Devante Rodney

Touray '82

James Jones
Kieran Glynn
Dagenham & Redbridge
Elliot Justham
Liam Gordon
Alex McQueen
Kenny Clark (c)
Chike Kandi

Mullings '63

Angelo Balanta
Ben Goodliffe
Yellow card for Ben Goodliffe
Will Wright

Harfield '78

Jack Munns
Gavin Hoyte

Bellamy '63

Manni Onariase
Chris Neal
Scott Wiseman
Ibou Touray
Mani Dieseruvwe
1 goals for Mani Dieseruvwe
Rory Gaffney
Lewis Moore
Ollie Harfield
Liam Bellamy
Yellow card for Liam Bellamy
Shamir Mullings
Nathan Smith
Manager - Graham Alexander
Manager - Peter Taylor
Match Officals
Referee - Declan Bourne
Assistant Referee - David Hunt
Assistant Referee - Jonathan Maskrey
Fourth Official - Darren Rogers

Close Team Sheet


The Ammies continue to explore uncharted territory, with an FA Trophy 3rd Round tie in prospect after today’s 2-0 win over Dagenham & Redbridge. Manager Graham Alexander took the opportunity to have a look at some of the lesser used players in his squad today and can’t help but have been impressed by their response. Goals from Devante Rodney & Mani Dieseruvwe proved enough to overcome an in-form Daggers side that enjoyed plenty of possession without producing too much in the way of threat. Salford City go into the competitions last 16 draw for the first time ever, with a possible Wembley final just 4 games away.

There were changes from the side that won so impressively at Orient last week, starting in goal where Max Crocombe came in for Chris Neal. James Jones stepped into the middle of the back 3, with Josh Askew taking the left wing-back role and recent loan signing Joe Muscatt making his debut on the other flank. Kieran Glynn & Danny Lloyd slotted into the midfield 3 with Adam Rooney & Rodney forming the strike partnership.

A decent-sized crowd turned out for this Trophy tie despite it being a rather bleak and wet January afternoon. The Daggers became the first visiting team to win a league game at The Peninsula this season just 3 weeks ago and Peter Taylor’s side have been in very good form of late. They started off confidently and within 3 minutes Liam Gordon’s ball from the left found Chiekel Kandi, only for the shot to be scuffed wide.

Gordon was at it again soon afterwards, playing a low ball into the box and this time Kandi’s much better effort was blocked. Dagenham’s number 9 got in another shot within a further minute of play and this one spun off a defender. then behind for a corner that was cleared.

Early promise for the hardy band of travelling supporters and their side was certainly having the better of the initial exchanges. Angelo Balenta got the winner in that league game just before Christmas and he forced Crocombe into a 12th minute save. The Daggers’ striker found space to hit a 20-yarder from outside the right-hand angle of the areas with Salford’s keeper getting down to save and hold.

Half-chances so far but Dagenham very nearly took the lead with 20 minutes on the clock. A neat touch from Kandi sent Balanta clear of the home defence but Crocombe did well, spreading himself effectively to make a good blocking save.

A very presentable opportunity for the visitors but it seemed to nudge Salford into attacking activity of their own. When the Daggers’ defence failed to clear a long ball into their box, possession for nicely for Lloyd, only for his 20-yarder to sail high over the crossbar.

The Ammies had found their feet, playing some decent stuff and could have gone ahead on the half-hour. Rodney slid a pass out to the right for Rooney and he played a low ball across the penalty area. Lloyd arrived on cue toward the far post but from 8 yards out could only clip a shot wide of Elliott Justham’s right-hand upright.

By far Salford’s best moment of the half so far and less than 4 minutes later they opened the afternoon’s scoring. Dagenham skipper Kenny Clark gave the ball away just inside his own half and wide on the Ammies’ right. Glynn took advantage, setting off on a diagonal run that took him almost to the edge of the box where he slipped a neat pass to the right. Rodney was in and despite desperate attempts to block his sight of goal, managed to slot a low shot between Justham and his left-hand post.

Dagenham looked to get back on terms quickly with Jack Munns slamming in a low effort from 22-yards and left-of-centre. It was well struck but the ball deflected off a defender and behind for a corner that came to nought. At the other end Lloyd’s excellent pass sent Glynn into the box on the right and he unselfishly squared to the near post. Rooney got there, poking in a first-time effort that Justham blocked with his feet.

Both sides applied a little pressure during the time that remained but there would be no more work for either keeper to do before the tea and oranges were served.


The tie was nicely poised as the teams emerged for the second half but Salford might have grabbed a 2nd goal within 4 minutes of the restart. Askew’s throw-in from the left was flicked on by Rooney and, just inside the Dagenham half, Rodney turned his man and headed for goal. For a moment it seemed as if the forward’s pace might take him clear of the defence but just before he could get to the penalty area Clark got across to make a perfectly timed challenge.

There was more decent approach play from both sides but neither was able to carve out an opening, at least for a while. For The Daggers Alex McQueen’s touch gave him a bit of time and space just outside the box but he couldn’t keep his left-footed effort down. Soon after that Balanta found Munns on the left with Kandi heading his cross wide of Crocombe’s right-hand upright.

Just past the hour Lloyd lined up a free-kick, almost 30 yards out and in a central position. He almost found a finish but Justham was on his toes, getting across to his right in order to push the ball away to safety.

The Daggers brought on Shamir Mullings & Liam Bellamy for Kandi & Gavin Hoyte as the final quarter of the game approached. The latter’s first contribution of note was to pick up a yellow for a foul on Liam Nolan, but before that Rooney had headed Muscatt’s cross from the right wide.

Rooney was replaced by Dieseruvwe and in the 67th minute Lloyd’s driving run through the middle was followed by a pass to the right for Glynn. The subsequent shot failed to trouble Justham but visiting defender Ben Goodliffe was booked for a late challenge on Lloyd.

Once again there was a lull in terms of goalscoring opportunities and that suited Salford more than their opponents. With 15 minutes left Balanta turned smartly outside the box before slamming in a shot that was blocked. Munns lashed the ball home a couple of minutes later but the offside flag had already been raised against Bellamy.

The last time Daggers’ striker Mullings appeared at The Peninsula his headed own goal sunk previous club, Maidstone United, but he went close to levelling in the 81st minute. Munns’ pass into the right-hand side of the area was perfect for the big striker but his low shot was blocked by Carl Piergianni, with the ball dropping behind for a corner.

Once again Salford defended the set-piece well and with 7 minutes to play they effectively secured their place in the competition’s last 16. It was a great bit of play too, starting with a Dagenham corner that was cleared. Glynn could have lumped the ball forward from the edge of Salford’s box but instead slipped a short pass into the path of Askew who carried possession into the Dagenham half. Lloyd was pushing forward on the left and after collecting the ball, advanced before directing a low cross along the edge of the 6-yard box. The Daggers’ defence was stretched and DIESERUVWE slid in to direct the ball home.

Lovely stuff from The Ammies and in truth they had looked more dangerous than their opponents despite having to make do with less possession at times during the afternoon.

Glynn teed up Muscatt a couple of minutes later, squaring to the right for the Bolton loanee to hit a shot that cleared the bar by a distance.

Dagenham were unable to exert much in the way of late pressure as Salford went on the hunt for another goal. Lloyd’s effort from the left was blocked but Askew’s full-blooded challenge forced the ball to the right where Dieseruvwe’s effort slammed into Goodliffe.

There were to be in excess of 5 minutes of time added on, but they would be comfortable enough for Salford. Substitute Ibou Touray had a shot blocked for the home side and right at the death Munns had a go from 25 yards only to see the ball drift wide of Crocombe’s left-hand post.


A 3rd successive win and clean sheet for The Ammies and it was a result they deserved from a game where they looked the more potent attacking force. Dagenham & Redbridge saw a lot of the ball over 90 minutes yet they rarely troubled Salford keeper Crocombe unduly.

An added bonus for Salford manager Graham Alexander was the contribution from those players who have had limited first team opportunities this season. They all did well and the manager certainly has some food for thought as the league season fast approaches its final third.

It’s a good problem to have of course. Full-back Joe Muscatt signed on loan from Bolton Wanderers last week and can play on either side of the defence. Josh Askew worked hard today in the left wing-back berth and certainly seems to have benefited from regular football while out on loan. James Jones was a composed presence in the heart of the defence while further upfield Kieran Glynn showed resilience peppered with moments of genuine quality. It was good to see Devante Rodney & Mani Dieseruvwe on the score-sheet too, with both looking capable of providing options over the coming weeks.

It’s back to the National League next Saturday as Gateshead visit The Peninsula Stadium and by then we’ll know our 3rd Round FA Trophy opponents. That tie is scheduled for 2nd February so the home league game -vs- Sutton United will have to be rescheduled.

Salford City FA Trophy campaigns are usually nothing but not-too-fond memories by the time Christmas comes along but this one certainly seems to have legs. Anyone for Wembley?

Attendance: 1,061 (@50 Dagenham & Redbridge)