S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Salford City FC
Kyle Letheren
Oscar Threlkeld

Wiseman 73'

Adam Rooney (c)
1 goals for Adam Rooney (c)
Danny Lloyd
1 goals for Danny Lloyd
Tom Walker

Dieseruvwe 73'

Cameron Burgess
Danny Whitehead
Yellow card for Danny Whitehead
Mark Shelton
Yellow card for Mark Shelton
Dan Jones
Martin Smith
Yellow card for Martin Smith

Asante 60'

Joey Jones
Aston Villa U21s
Jamie Searle
Dominic Revan
Jake Walker (c)
Easah Suliman
Callum Rowe
Yellow card for Callum Rowe
Jack Birch

Guy 80'

Michael Tait

Philogene-Bidace 60'

Cameron Archer
Lewis Brunt
Tyreik Wright
Jack Clarke
Yellow card for Jack Clarke
Scott Wiseman
Carl Piergianni
Richie Towell
Mani Dieseruvwe
Brandon Asante
Jake Beesley
Mungo Bridge
Ben Guy
Filip Marschall
Jayden Philogene-Bidace
Aaron Pressley
Kaine Hayden
Carney Chukwuemeka
Manager - Graham Alexander
Coach - Mark Delaney
Match Officals
Referee - Robert Lewis
Assistant Referee - Helen Byrne
Assistant Referee - Conor Brown
Fourth Official - Christopher Ward

Close Team Sheet


Late goals from Danny Lloyd and Adam Rooney were enough to give Salford City victory in their EFL Trophy debut game. Aston Villa’s Under 21s proved to be energetic and stubborn opponents and the bonus-point penalty shooting was looming until Lloyd broke the deadlock from the spot.

Manager Graham Alexander shuffled his pack for this game and four players – Dan Jones, Cameron Burgess, Kyle Letheran and Brandon Asante - would make their competitive debuts for the club.

Another rainy night in Salford but the game got off to quite an urgent start. The early pace was brisk to say the least, with the odd tasty challenge going in here and there. Mark Shelton seemed to have won the ball with a 5th minute challenge but the referee disagreed, brandishing a yellow card despite the midfielder’s protestations of innocence.

The evening’s first attempt on goal took 10 minutes to arrive, despite the early pace of the game. Villa forward Tyreik Wright made himself a little space just outside the box before thumping an effort over the crossbar. At the other end Oscar Threlkeld blasted over from the same sort of range following good work from Tom Walker on the right.

Too attempts that failed to trouble a goalkeeper but Danny Whitehead gave Villa custodian Jamie Searle a worrying moment just before the quarter-hour. A ball into the box was nodded clear and the midfielder hit a first-time dipping effort that cleared the crossbar by inches.

The frantic tempo eased off fairly quickly and for a while the game condensed, with a number of offside decisions breaking up play. Villa produced a flowing move just before the midpoint of the half, with Cameron Archer advancing before flicking a pass out to the lively Wright. His low ball from the right flashed across the six-yard box without getting a touch, but Michael Tait was there beyond the far post to get in a first-time angled effort. That one was blocked by a defender and from the counter Lloyd had a shot blocked by Searle before Whitehead was deemed to be offside as he got in a powerful follow-up.

The Ammies rolled forward again with Lloyd’s diagonal ball from the right finding Rooney in space on the right-hand side of the box. Last season’s top scorer tried to flick an effort over Searle but the keeper had closed him down to make a good blocking save.

This was a good spell for Salford and in the 25th minute Martin Smith’s corner from the right dropped to the far post. Joey Jones got up high to get in a close-range downwards header that Searle did well to push around his right-hand upright. Another corner looked caused consternation in the visiting defence but once again the pressure was relieved by an offside decision.

Smith’s next contribution was to have his name taken by the referee following a robust challenge.
It was Villa’s turn to concede a free-kick 14 minutes before half time and Lloyd went close from almost 30 yards as his nicely struck effort dropped inches wide of Searle’s left-hand post.

A decent effort but as half-time approached the game awaited its first goal. Villa had been quiet upfront for a while but could have sneaked ahead 3 minutes before the break. Callum Rowe’s delivery from deep on the left almost found the head of Wright on the penalty spot before the ball was nudged out for a corner.

That set-piece came to nothing and Salford were left to reflect on a first half where they’d had most of the possession and the better opportunities without managing to score.


The second half got underway with a great chance at each end of the pitch. Rooney went close for Salford before Villa’s Wright was played clear through the middle. This was a golden opportunity but Letheran did everything right, spreading himself effectively before blocking the shot when it came in.

An even start to the second half but Salford were soon seeing more of the ball and went close to taking the lead in the 56th minute. Walker’s pass picked out Lloyd on the right and his cross fell for Whitehead on the left-hand side of the area. A delicate chip followed that had Searle worried until the ball dropped just wide of the keeper’s left-hand upright.

Whitehead became the 3rd Salford player to be yellow-carded on the hour and second later Asante came on for Smith.

For Villa Jayden Philogene-Bidace tested Letheran with a low 20-yarder but Salford’s keeper was equal to it,

The game opened up a little as its final quarter approached and Joey Jones was inches away from getting his head to a teasing Lloyd cross. For the visitors Tait got past Burgess on the left before cutting a pass back into the path of Jack Clarke. The goal was at his mercy but Letheran was impressing on his Salford debut, getting enough on the shot to deflect it over the crossbar.

For the Ammies a Walker free-kick from the right was dropped by Searle but after a moment or two of defensive panic Villa managed to cleat their lines.

Salford introduced Scott Wiseman & Mani Dieseruvwe for Threlkeld & Walker with 18 minutes left and the changed would tilt the balance of the game in the home side’s favour. In the meantime, Lloyd was robbed of possession – and probably fouled – before the ball was moved quickly forward for Wright. A low 22-yarder from right-of-centre followed but Letheran was solid again, getting down to his right to make the save.

A goal was coming and with just 10 minutes to play it went the way of Salford City. Lloyd took a buffeting during the build-up only for the referee to wave play on as the ball fell for Dieseruvwe inside the area. The big striker went down under a clumsy challenge from Villa skipper Jake Walker. The referee took a second to think about it before pointing to the spot and Lloyd was the one to place the ball on the spot. Searle launched himself to the left but LLOYD had powered a finish inside his right-hand post and the Ammies were ahead.

After waiting nearly 80 minutes for a goal, we got another within another 2. Dan Jones floated a free-kick into the box and with Vila defenders standing still ROONEY was on hand to prod a low finish past Searle to make the game safe for Salford.

With a two-goa cushion the Ammies controlled the game for the time that remained. Five minutes of time added on failed to provide a lifeline for Villa and the final whistle brought down the curtain on a satisfactory evening’s for Salford City F.C.


A pleasing win to mark our EFL Trophy bow and a decent game of football against an enterprising Aston Villa U21 side. The visitors had chances of their own but the Ammies probably did enough to deserve the win.

This was a good chance to give valuable game time to players who haven’t seen much so far and there was plenty for the manager to be pleased about. Recent signing Asante looks a prospect – he’s strong, quick and direct which isn’t a bad combination for a forward.

As things stand, a point at Tranmere in November would be enough to progress to the knockout stage of the competition. A decent prospect, but we’d much prefer to be welcoming near neighbours Bury to The Peninsula Stadium next month, as was originally scheduled. Hopefully we’ll be seeing the Shakers in the very near future.

Attendance: 916 (125 Aston Villa)