S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Port Vale
Scott Brown
James Gibbons
Luke Joyce
Leon Legge (c)
David Worrall
Tom Conlon
David Amoo
Scott Burgess
Richie Bennett

Pope 71'

Mitch Clarke
Shaun Brisley
Salford City FC
Kyle Letheren
Scott Wiseman
Ibou Touray
Liam Hogan (c)
Yellow card for Liam Hogan (c)
Adam Rooney
Yellow card for Adam Rooney
Cameron Burgess
Jack Baldwin
Bruno Andrade
Brandon Thomas-Asante

Elliott 67'

Michael O'Connor

Towell 67'

Ashley Hunter
Yellow card for Ashley Hunter

Conway 90+2'

Jonny Maddison
Tom Pope
Will Atikinson
Mark Cullen
Callum Evans
Ryan Lloyd
Ryan Campbell-Gordon
Chris Neal
Oscar Threlkeld
Luke Armstrong
Tom Elliott
1 goals for Tom Elliott
Richie Towell
Craig Gonway
Manager - John Askey
Manager - Graham Alexander
Match Officals
Referee - Neil Hair
Assistant Referee - Christopher Ward
Assistant Referee - Andrew Dallison
Fourth Official - Oliver Bickle

Close Team Sheet


Tom Elliot’s equaliser 15 minutes from time rescued a point and extended Salford City’s unbeaten run to 5 games. A Cameron Burgess own goal had put Vale ahead 10 minutes into the second half but the Ammies displayed their customary resolve to return home with a deserved share of the spoils. Another very sold away performance from Graham Alexander’s men ahead of back-to-back home games -vs- Crawley Town and Plymouth Argyle.

There was one change from the side that won 4-0 at Cambridge on Tuesday with injured Nathan Pond replaced in the heart of defence by club captain Liam Hogan.

At a windswept Vale Park the game got off to a tentative start, although Vale were almost gifted a goal in the 5th minute. Burgess’ header back to Kyle Letheren was a little short of legs and Salford’s keeper had to be quick off the mark to get to the ball before Richie Bennett. After 10 minutes a low Mitch Clark delivery across the box from the left looked dangerous, but nobody in a white shirt was on hand to apply a finish.

Soon after that Scott Burgess had a go from 22 yards out and left of centre only to see his effort drop over the crossbar. On the quarter hour David Worrall’s right-footed corner from the left was swinging in, forcing Letheren to clear with a double-fisted punch.

A handful of Vale half-chances, and although Salford had spent little time in their opponents’ half they could have gone ahead in the 20th minute. Jack Baldwin’s lobbed cross from the left dropped to the far post where the stretching Adam Rooney’s touch lifted the ball over the bar.

The best opportunity of the match so far, and up to now the Ammies had soaked up pressure without Letheren being seriously tested. At the other end Vale keeper Scott Brown did well in the 24th minute, getting down to hold Bruno Andrade’s low ball into the box from the left as Rooney closed in.

Salford began to have a little more in the way of possession as the half progressed and just past the half-hour after Asante’s pass into the box sent Ash Hunter into space on the left. A low delivery to the near post followed but Shaun Brisley poked the ball out for a corner, just in front of the lurking Rooney.

The game went quiet – or perhaps, quieter – for a while although Vale very nearly fashioned a breakthrough 6 minutes before the interval. Worrall advanced before flicking a pass to the right for Bennett before continuing his advance. The home side’s winger would have been clear, but the return ball was over-hit, allowing Letheren to get in a clearance.

The final incident of note before half-time came when Bennett collected a ball from the left, only to be foiled by Letheren as he tried to poke home from close range.


Not the best of halves, played in difficult conditions, but the second 45 minutes would certainly be an improvement. An early Asante effort was blocked by Vale’s Brisley and 5 minutes after the restart Vale very nearly went ahead. David Amoo had looked dangerous at times and here a powerful run took him into the box on the right, only for his angled shot to be saved at the near post by Letheren.

A decent chance for the home side and a stroke of luck would put them ahead with 55 minutes played. Clark did the hard work, surging into the box from the left before driving a powerful cross towards the near post. BURGESS raised a foot high on the edge of the 6-yard box in attempt to cut it out, only to divert the ball into his own net, despite a touch from Letheren.

A goal that would give the game a boost as a spectacle, and Salford looked to find a quick response to falling behind. Hunter’s run on the right was followed up by a good low cross to the near post, only for the ball to flick off one of crowd of players and into the grateful arms of Brown.

Back at the other end a clearance fell for Clark but from the edge of the box and left of centre, he could only blast a shot over the crossbar. The home side had the ball in the net again within another minute after Worrall picked up Scott Burgess’ pass before chipping Letheren, only to be denied by a raised flag.

The Ammies began to exert some real pressure after that and Bruno Andrade finished off a left-flank run with a cross to the far post. Rooney was closing in, but Clark got in a vital interception. Asante’s last contribution came with a shot from the right that was blocked and in the 67th minute he and Michael O’Connor were replaced by Tom Elliott and Richie Towell respectively.

Port Vale had some defending to do and a dangerous Andrade cross had to be headed behind for a corner. That one came to nothing, but the next – delivered from the right by Ibou Touray – almost did the trick. Skipper Hogan is yet to open his league scoring account for the season but came ever so close here as he met the delivery 6 yards out with a header that flashed inches over the bar.

Anrade did well again with 20 minutes left, wrestling possession away from an opponent on the left, just outside the box. This time a low cross whipped across the edge of the 6-yard box with the sliding Hunter almost getting a decisive touch at the near post.

The Ammies were knocking at the door, although the next opening went the way of the home side. Tom Conlon’s pass gave Clark the opportunity to cut in from the left, although his rising shot was comfortably held by Letheren.

With 15 minutes to play, the goal Salford had been threatening for a while arrived courtesy of the two recently introduced substitutes. Scott Wiseman’s throw-in on the right went short to Towell who escaped Conlon’s attention then lofted a high cross that dropped towards the far post. If you’re going to let anybody slip away from your marking inside the box, ELLIOTT should not be the first choice and the big striker rose high just a couple of yards out to head home his first league goal for the Ammies.

Both sides looked for a winner during the time that remained, although once again chances would be at a premium for a little while. With 4 minutes left Conlon’s rising shot from distance was held by Letheren and Salford were next to go on the offensive. Hunter picked up possession deep on the right before sliding a low diagonal pass that played Rooney into space. The Ammies’ top scorer took a steadying touch before hitting a low, angled drive from 15 yards that beat Brown, only to pass outside the far post.

A great chance to secure a 3rd successive away win for Salford but the game was still all-square as it entered 6 minutes of time added on. Conlon had a left-of-centre shot deflected wide for a corner that Worrall delivered from the left. Big defender Leon Legge was on the end of it but his header from distance on the right dropped over the bar.

After that Andrade had a shot from just outside blocked by a couple of Vale defenders and the final whistle meant that the two sides would take a point apiece. Not an unfair resolution to a hard-fought, tight game played in a spoiling wind.


Salford’s away support might not yet be the most numerous that League Two can offer, but they are surely amongst the most enthusiastic. The 310 who backed their side at Vale Park this afternoon roared their support for most of the 90 minutes and a point was the least their efforts deserved.

On the pitch the team grafted their way to that point and despite being pushed back during the first half they defended effectively as a team. The second half was better in terms of attacking football and after the equaliser Rooney’s chance could well have wrapped up a win against a side in impressive home form.

There is a real sense of determination about the Ammies and an active January transfer window, allied to an developing unbeaten run, might well pave the way for another promotion push. Two big home games come next, both against sides harbouring their own hopes of League One football. Next Saturday Crawley Town – just a point behind the Ammies – visit the Peninsula Stadium and on the following Tuesday 3rd placed Plymouth Argyle provide the opposition.

The final third of the season promises to be interesting…

Attendance: 5,281 (310 Salford City)