S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Newport County
Tom King
Ryan Haynes

Janneh 52'

Brandon Cooper
Robbie Willmott
Josh Sheehan (c)
Jamie Devitt

Ellison 66'

Scot Bennett
Yellow card for Scot Bennett
Jamie Proctor
1 goals for Jamie Proctor

Amond 72'

Scott Twine
Mickey Demetriou
Liam Shephard
Salford City FC
Vaclav Hladky
Ash Eastham (c)
George Boyd

Andrade 54'

Jordan Turnbull
Oscar Threlkeld
Mani Dieseruvwe

Armstrong 68'

Kevin Berkoe
Tylor Golden
Sam Fielding
Dan Hawkins

Hunter 54'

Brandon Thomas-Asante
Red card for Brandon Thomas-Asante
Nick Townsend
Ashley Baker
Joss Labadie
Padraig Amond
1 goals for Padraig Amond
Tristan Abrahams
Saikou Janneh
1 goals for Saikou Janneh
Kevin Ellison
William Evans
Luke Armstrong
Ash Hunter
Yellow card for Ash Hunter
Bruno Andrade
Di'Shon Bernard
Alex Denny
Matt Sargent
Manager - Mike Flynn
Manager - Richie Wellens
Match Officals
Referee - Kevin Johnson

Close Team Sheet


Salford City’s hopes of a first-ever FA Cup 3rd Round appearance were dashed following a 3-0 defeat at Rodney Parade. Home side Newport County had a penalty saved by Václav Hladký before half-time yet a relatively inexperienced Salford side had otherwise given a good account of themselves. The balance of the game swung away from the Ammies within 2 minutes of the restart as Brandon Thomas-Asante was shown a straight red card following a high challenge on home keeper Tom King. After that it was always going to be an uphill struggle and so it proved as County dominated from then on, recording a comfortable win and a place in the next round.

Salford manager Richie Wellens took this opportunity to have a look at some of the fringe first-team squad players, with 9 changes made from the side that started the midweek league win over Morecambe.

The Exiles were the first to show as an attacking force and Jordan Turnbull was forced to stretch out a leg to intercept a dangerous cross at the near post. The loose ball fell for Scott Twine whose well-struck angled shot was blocked. Within a minute possession was moved to the other end of the pitch and after getting a bouncing ball under control Sam Fielding tried his luck from the best part of 35 yards out. The former Barnsley man kept his effort low but didn’t get the direction right, clearing King’s right-hand post by several yards.

A lively enough opening, but the Ammies conceded a penalty in the 8th minute. Robbie Wilmott got into the box on the right with the ball spinning up awkwardly against Kevin Berkoe’s hand. There was a degree of misfortune there for the visiting left-back,and the referee's decision to award a penalty looked a tad on the harsh side. Awarded it was, and Mickey Demetriou stepped up to take the spot-kick, hitting a low shot to Hladký’s right. Not the worst struck penalty by any means, but the keeper had read it, getting down to push the effort away. Ash Eastham got to the loose ball first, conceding a corner, and Hladký had another good save to add to his impressive collection.

There would be more opportunities for Hladký to demonstrate his quality, but the next sniff of a goal was for Salford. Dan Hawkins lofted a cross from deep on the left to the far side of the area. Mani Dieseruvwe was unmarked as he rose to nod the ball back inside where Thomas-Asante popped up between two County defenders. Thomas-Asante couldn’t get the bouncing ball under control and the assistant’s raised flag finally dispelled the danger.

A good first10 minutes but although both sides began to look comfortable in possession, the respective defences were more than capably dealing with the modest end results. Goalmouth action was at a real premium until the final 5 minutes of the half, when both sides suddenly managed to conjure a threat or two.

In the 42nd minute Fielding’s ball out to the right found Tylor Golden who pulled a low pass back into the area. George Boyd was on it, but from 12 yards out and right of centre he could only direct a low shot just outside King’s left-hand upright.

Salford’s first real chance of the afternoon, but they would have work to do at the other end during the time that remained. Just a minute or so after Boyd’s effort we had a rare error from Hladký as the keeper’s low pass went straight to Twine, left of centre and just outside the area. The Newport forward advanced to hit a powerful low shot that a redeemed Hladký did well to save. The loose ball fell centrally to the edge of the 6-yard box where Oscar Threlkeld did tremendously well, managing to scoop the ball away for a corner on the far side, despite the close attentions of Jamie Proctor.

There were 3 minutes of time to be added on at the end of the first half, and in the last of those Willmott slipped past Berkoe, tight to the line on the right. The cross to the far post was a good one, allowing Proctor to get up and head straight down into the hands of Hladký, although the Newport striker had already been penalised for a foul.

That was that for the first half, with Newport having created most of the few chances without taking any of them.


A decent first-half from Salford’s perspective, but their chances of making that 3rd Round bow took a body blow within a minute of the restart. Dan Hawkins launched a great high ball forward from halfway, with Thomas-Asante set to get on the end of it. King advanced out of his area and the Salford forward’s high, studs-up challenge seemed to catch him around the knee. There was almost certainly no malicious intent, yet the straight red card did not come as a surprise.

With Thomas-Asante trudging disconsolately towards the dressing room, Newport sensed that their opportunity to open up the game again had arrived and from that point, pressure on the Salford goal began to build. Even so, the Ammies got men behind the ball and the Exiles couldn’t shape a chance until the 51st minute. A free-kick from the left was worked inside allowing Jamie Devitt to slam in a low shot from distance, with Hladký dropping to his right to save and hold.

Newport manager Mike Flynn made an attacking change after that, bringing on Saikou Janneh for Ryan Haynes. Within 3 minutes of that substitution the Exiles went ahead after the dangerous Willmott aimed a cross from the right towards the far post. Rotherham loanee PROCTOR pulled away from Golden before placing a 6-yard header to Hladký’s left and into the net.

A nice finish, although Salford’s coaching staff probably won’t have been over-enamoured by the defending.

All to do then for the 10 men, but the Ammies were finding it difficult to get any attacks going and the home side would continue to press. In the 61st minute Twine’s pass to the right found Josh Sheehan and he hit a rising 24-yarder that was saved by the well positioned Hladký.

Soon after that another Willmott cross from the right dropped to the edge of the box, where Devitt dropped to the turf following the slightest of touches from Fielding. Fortunately, the referee didn’t oblige with a penalty, yet there was no yellow card for a pretty obvious bit of simulation.

The Ammies were under the cosh, so Wellens made a couple of changes in the 64th minute. Off came Boyd and Hawkins, with Ash Hunter and Bruno Andrade introduced into the fray. For Newport, 41-year old veteran winger Kevin Ellison replaced Devitt.

Salford’s changes restored a bit of balance to the game and the Ammies began to move the ball forward a little. Even so, it was the home side who looked most likely to add to the scoring and on 68 minutes Sheehan slid a pass out to Ellison on the left. A very decent cross dropped to the edge of the 6-yard box, towards the far post but Janneh was stretching for it and could only head past the upright.

The Ammies sent on Luke Armstrong in place of Dieseruvwe for the final 20 minutes and they were still very much in this cup tie. Armstrong and Andrade were both looking lively, but their task became much more difficult in the 75th minute. Another spell of Newport pressure ended with Twine jinking into the area, right-of-centre, only to be felled as Berkoe stretched to get in a challenge.

Once again the referee had little hesitation in awarding the penalty and this time it was substitute PADRAIG AMOND who took responsibility for it. The Irish striker stroked a low finish just inside Hladky’s left-and post and although the keeper very nearly got there, Newport County were two goals ahead.

A couple of thousand feet added to the mountain Salford needed to climb, but they did their best to rise to the challenge. Thirteen minutes from time Armstrong did well on the right, twisting away from a challenge tight to the line before drilling in a low cross. Hunter was the nearest Salford player to the ball as it flashed across goal, but not close enough to get there and the fleeting opportunity was gone.

Soon after that a spot of argy-bargy broke out and it seemed a little strange that only Turnbull and Hunter were booked, despite a couple of enthusiastic County contributions.

With 8 minutes left Janneh found a little space on the edge of the box yet could only drag his right-of-centre effort past the far post.

The Ammies were pushed back again during the closing stages and when Twine’s pass inside from the left found Sheehan, he tried to curl a low 20-yarder inside the far post. Hladký was equal to that one, getting down sharply to push the ball behind for a corner.

A minute or so later Sheehan crossed diagonally and low from the right, with Brandon Cooper just unable to get a far-post touch.

The pressure continued and Janneh latched onto a long ball forward, getting clear through the middle before attempting to flick a finish over the advancing Hladký. Once again the keeper did well, getting enough of a touch to deflect the ball wide of his left-hand post.

As the game moved into time added on Salford managed to push forward, with Fielding’s pass to the left setting up Hunter for an angled drive that deflected past the far post for a corner. That set piece was cleared, and Newport finally wrapped up the game with a 3rd goal just a minute or so later.

Scot Bennett’s muscular challenge outside the box dispossessed Fielding, with JANNEH picking up the loose ball. The Newport substitute had proved a handful since coming on and he got into the box, skipped past Turnbull then smashed a rising shot past Hladký to make it 3-0.


After winning last season’s league game at Rodney Parade and then returning to knock Newport out of the EFL Trophy at the semi-final stage, the Ammies never really threatened to make it a hat-trick of successive trips.

The first half was a generally quiet affair, yet County had that penalty saved, with Hladký forced into a couple more decent saves. Thomas-Asante’s dismissal was a pivotal moment if course, and after Newport took the lead it was difficult to see the Ammies keeping their FA Cup campaign alive.

Some decent passing football was served up, along with stretches of determined defending, but in the end the Exiles deserved their place in the 3rd Round draw.

Salford’s overriding priority this season is, of course, promotion to League One and thoughts will soon switch to the coming week’s trips to Carlisle United & Barrow. Maybe 21-22 for the 3rd Round...