S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Newport County
Tom King
Ryan Haynes

Baker 17'

Joss Labadie (c)
Matty Dolan
Josh Sheehan
Red card for Josh Sheehan
David Longe-King
Scot Bennett
Yellow card for Scot Bennett
Jake Scrimshaw

Ellison 70'

Mickey Demetriou
Ryan Taylor

Abrahams 70'

Liam Shephard
Salford City FC
Vaclav Hladky
Ibou Touray
Jason Lowe
Tom Clarke (c)
Tom Elliott

Wilson 65'

Ash Hunter
Di'Shon Bernard
Jordan Turnbull
Oscar Threlkeld
Robbie Gotts

Thomas-Asante 79'

Ian Henderson
Nick Townsend
Ashley Baker
Padraig Amond
Tristan Abrahams
Jamie Devitt
Kevin Ellison

Amond 82'

Owen Windsor
William Evans
George Boyd
Luke Burgess
James Wilson
Alex Denny
Tylor Golden
Brandon Thomas-Asante
Manager - Mike Flynn
Manager - Richie Wellens
Match Officals
Referee - Anthony Backhouse
Assistant Referee - Simon Shaw
Assistant Referee - Steven Plane
Fourth Official - Adam Ricketts

Close Team Sheet


Salford City had to settle for a single point at Rodney Parade, despite playing the final 38 minutes against 10 men. County midfielder Josh Sheehan was dismissed 13 minutes into the second half for an over exuberant challenge on Ash Hunter, but the Ammies couldn’t capitalise on their numerical advantage. In truth a point apiece was a fair outcome for a game that yielded just a couple of efforts on target – both were relatively tame and went Newport’s way.

Salford manager Richie Wellens – who didn’t travel due to a non-Covid illness – made a couple of changes to the side that started Tuesday evening’s 1-0 win at Scunthorpe. Available again Di’Shon Bernard replaced Tylor Golden at the back, with new loan signing Robbie Gotts drafted in at the expense of Brandon Thomas-Asante. There was also a rare start for striker Tom Elliott, with James Wilson amongst the substitutes.

It’s a slight understatement to say this was a game of few chances and one of those two shots on target came along in the 6th minute. A Bernard foul gave Sheehan the chance to line up a free-kick, about 22 yards out and left of centre. The effort bounced before being collected by Václav Hladký, with some of the assembled County players claiming that the ball had been carried over the line. You have to admire their optimism, if not their eyesight.

That would prove to be the most testing save of the afternoon and the rest of the opening 15 minutes were energetic without either side managing to pose much of a threat. The Ammies looked busy, with Leeds United loanee Gotts winning possession with his first touch on what would be an encouraging debut.

An innocuous looking challenge with Ash Hunter led to County wing-back Ryan Haynes receiving treatment before being substituted by Ash Baker in the 17th minute.

Play had become a little bit scrappy on a challenging playing surface, with a number of passes going astray and both defences looking quite comfortable.

Just before the midpoint of the first half Hladký was forced to advance to the edge of his area to intercept a ball over the top. He sliced the clearance high into the air but although County skipper Joss Labadie got to it first, he was penalised for a foul on Oscar Threlkeld.

In the 23rd minute Ian Henderson’s quick throw in on the left almost caught out the home defence as recipient Ibou Touray burst into the box. Amber shirts were converging as he tried a left-footed lob that dropped just over the bar and onto the roof of the net.

Both teams would have spells of purposeful play but largely it was condensed into the middle third of the pitch.

Set pieces seemed to be the most promising route to goal and Salford almost made the most of one just before the half-hour. Hunter’s free-kick from deep on the left curled its way towards the far post where Tom Clarke took a step back from his marker to get in a header that dropped outside the upright. Not the easiest of chances but Salford’s captain had scored a thumping goal with his head when the sides met in Salford during December and looked disappointed at missing this one.

Ten minutes before the interval a quick exchange of passes between Gotts and Henderson was followed by a low shot from the former that took a defensive deflection on its way wide of Tom King’s right-hand post.

The Ammies were on the front foot as half-time approached but we had to wait until the final minute before King would have any further cause for concern. Henderson was inside the box when he squared a pass out to Touray who swung a high cross to the far post. Mickey Demetriou was putting Elliott under pressure although the big man got in a standing header that dropped over the crossbar.

Gotts did well again during time added on, receiving Jason Lowe’s pass before turning smartly away from his man in the middle of the park. A direct run took him into the box, just left of centre where his shot was charged down by Baker, with a hooked 2nd effort meeting the same fate.

No goals at the end of a first half that had seen Salford looking the more likely side, although they had not managed to significantly test King.


The Ammies picked up where they had left off, pushing men forward as the second half got underway to win a couple of early corners. Newport continued to protect their goal effectively but suffered a real blow in the 58th minute.

Hunter’s advance on the right of midfield was curtailed by a rash challenge from Sheehan, and after a brief discussion with his assistant the referee brandished a straight red card.

Salford were already on top in terms of possession and must have fancied their chances of going on to win the game. County boss Mike Flynn had other ideas, reshuffling his side to handle the disadvantage whilst still allowing his players to get forward.

Chances were still proving rare and the flow of the game was fractured a little by delays caused by treatment for Demetriou and then Elliott. The Salford striker couldn’t continue and was replaced by Wilson with 25 minutes left on the clock.

Soon after that change Hunter advanced through the middle before threading a low forward pass into the area. Henderson controlled with back to goal but after turning his low shot was heading wide before it was smothered by King.

Flynn introduced Kevin Ellison & Tristan Abrahams in the 70th minute, with Scrimshaw & Taylor withdrawn.

A move that demonstrated attacking intent but as might be expected it was the visitors who did most of the pressing. Clarke won possession in the right-back position before nudging a pass forward for Hunter. A lofted cross-field ball dropped for Wilson, outside the box and David Longe-King will probably still be feeling the stinging effort that crashed into him at close range.

The Exiles were managing their game well, although with 15 minutes left Salford carved out a chance that could have won the game. Wilson did well on the left, drifting inside before squaring a low ball inside for Henderson. The former Rochdale man passed to the right for Hunter, who moved into acres of space. You’d fancy Hunter in these situations but here he could only hit a rising 16 yarder that cleared the crossbar by a foot or so.

A good chance had gone begging, but the game was still there to be won and with 11 minutes to play Thomas-Asante came on for Gotts. Soon after that Hunter found Wilson on the left and after pushing into the left-hand angle of the box he could only drill a low 16-yarder wide of the near post.

The Exiles ran the clock down whenever they could – understandably enough – but were still very much looking to pinch the win themselves. Six minutes from time a left-flank corner was glanced on by substitute Pádraig Amond only for Hladký to make a simple enough save.

After that an encouraged County scented a bit of an upset and in the 86th minute Amond set off in chase of a long ball down Newport’s left. Bernard seemed favourite to get there and deal with it but Amond did well to steal a yard, right on the line, before lofting in a cross that dropped towards the far post. Abrahams was underneath it but his header down bounced well wide of the target.

The Exiles won a couple of late corners that kept Salford pegged back and due to those injuries 6 minutes of time were to be added on.

During the 2nd of those Thomas-Asante passed inside from the left for Hunter to hit a 20-yarder that was blocked. Hunter then played Henderson into the right-hand side of the area and he darted to the line before aiming a low ball at the near post. Thomas-Asante got there but couldn’t get an effort on target, with the referee overturning his assistant’s award of a corner.

Time was running out for Salford who were struggling to get hold of the ball and exert late pressure. Credit to Newport for that as they denied their opponents possession and had to be carefully watched whenever they ventured forward. In the 5th extra minute Demetriou’s throw-in from the right was headed away by Jordan Turnbull, with the ball dropping to the edge of the box. Scot Bennett was there to blast in a shot that took a defensive nick on its way over the bar.

Soon after that a Newport player went down inside the area after a ball was played in from the left. Despite impassioned pleas for a penalty the referee was unmoved – it was probably the right decision, unlike the one that went against Salford at a similar point of last month’s clash.

In the last of those 6 minutes Touray’s advance was finished off by a pass to Thomas-Asante, but his cross from the left was easily taken by King.


Before the game a point at Rodney Parade would have been an acceptable result for the Ammies. Having taken that point home, there might be some disappointment that it is only the one. Salford had the better of the attacking play this afternoon but didn’t make the most of playing against 10 men for quite a long period of time.

Newport had the nous to rearrange after Sheehan’s dismissal, slowed the game when they needed to and still managed to offer a threat now and then. Salford will look back on some decent openings, but you don’t win games if you can’t get a shot on target.

A win would have lifted the Ammies to the League Two summit, and despite having played a game or two more than their closest rivals, that would have been a boost to confidence. Even so, with 4 of the next 5 league games at home Richie Wellens’ side will fancy their chances of snatching that top spot before too much longer.