S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Marine AFC
Martin Fearon
Kenny Strickland

Short '12

James Joyce
Danny Shaw
Yellow card for Danny Shaw
Chris Doyle
Liam Davies
Finlay Sinclair-Smith

Kinsella '46

Liam Hynes
Danny Mitchley (c)
Chris Sang
James Murray

Marsden '58

Salford City FC
Chris Neal
Scott Wiseman
Ibou Touray
Liam Hogan (c)
Carl Piergianni
Lois Maynard
Adam Rooney
Yellow card for Adam Rooney
Danny Lloyd

Askew '90

Tom Walker

Rodney '78

Danny Whitehead
1 goals for Danny Whitehead
Rory Gaffney
1 goals for Rory Gaffney
Tony Donaldson
Germano Mendes
James Short
Ged Kinsella
John Marsden
Max Crocombe
Nick Haughton
Josh Askew
James Hooper
Devante Rodney
James Jones
Kamar Moncrieffe
Manager - Neil Young
Manager - Graham Alexander
Match Officals
Referee - Joe Hull
Assistant Referee - Michael D'Aguilar
Assistant Referee - David Hunt
Fourth Official - Adam Burgess

Close Team Sheet


Salford City completed a weekend's double at Marine this afternoon as the first-team booked their place in the First Round Proper of the FA Cup for only the second time in the club’s history. Last night the Ammies’ youth team achieved the same feat in the FA Youth Cup, courtesy of a 1-0 win at Hyde United. Goals from Danny Whitehead & Rory Gaffney were enough to overcome a dogged Mariners’ side and we wait in anticipation for Monday evening’s First Round draw.

There were changes from the settled line-up of recent games, starting at the back where club captain Liam Hogan returned in place of injured Nathan Pond. Midfielder Mark Shelton hadn’t trained all week due to a knock and he sat out this cup tie, replaced by Lois Maynard. Included among the substitutes were James Hooper, Josh Askew, James Jones and academy player Kamar Moncrieffe, scorer of the hat-trick that ended Ashton United’s Manchester Premier Cup hopes earlier this month.

A big crowd had assembled at the Marine Travel Arena, including a good few hundred from Salford, and there was a real cup-tie atmosphere as the game got underway.

Salford set the tone for most of the afternoon early on, seeing plenty of the ball and looking for a way through the home side’s defence. Nevertheless, it would be quiet in terms of goalmouth action for a little while and the first real hint of a breakthrough came from Marine. In the 9th minute a burst of pace from Kenny Stickland almost took him into the box, only for opposite number Scott Wiseman to muscle in and shepherd the ball safely back to keeper Chris Neal. The Ammies countered, with the ball worked into the left-hand side of the box where Gaffney’s attempt to flick home from an acute angle clipped of a defender for a corner. Tom Walker’s delivery dropped towards the far post but Maynard’s attempt to glance a header rose high and wide of the far upright.

The visitors were beginning to get a grip on the game and from a throw-in on the left Gaffney moved into a yard of space before drilling in a low 18-yarder. Marine keeper Martin Fearon had a brief spell at Moor Lane a few seasons ago and thwarted his former side here, dropping smartly to his left to save and hold the ball.

The Ammies went close just past the quarter-hour after Walker had done well to bring the ball under control, just outside the box. Danny Lloyd took possession and a quick dart propelled the winger into the area where he left fly with a powerful rising effort that cleared the bar by a foot or so.

The best chance so far and Lloyd had another go soon afterwards, turning onto Whitehead’s pass but failing to keep his 25-yard left-footer down.

Marine’s Strickland had been forced off with an injury by this stage and replacement James Short almost cost his side a goal midway through the half. A nudged pass back to Fearon was underhit and Adam Rooney stretched to get there before Fearon. There was contact on the keeper but Rooney had a right to go for a ball that was there to be won, unluckily picking up a yellow card for his trouble.

Graham Alexander’s side were playing some good stuff at times but hadn’t really clicked properly into gear. A few half-chances had been created but the healthy share of possession hadn’t really been made to count inside the final third.

With 10 minutes to play before the interval a Walker corner from the left was met by a powerful Hogan header from somewhere near the penalty spot. The effort was heading wide of Fearon’s right-hand post but took a clip off a defender to earn the Ammies a second corner. Walker took this one too, from the same side, but this time the ball dropped towards the far post. Central defender Carl Piergianni had moved into a little space there but he couldn’t get over the ball and his header flew over the crossbar.

Left-back Ibou Touray was the next one to threaten Fearon’s goal, advancing into space before hitting a pacey waist-high drive from 25-yards. Marine’s keeper was behind that one, but the ball spun off his gloves before dropping invitingly to his left. Rooney was closing in for the kill but Fearon recovered both his composure and possession of the ball just in time.

It was beginning to look like a frustrating first-half for the visitors until they went ahead thanks to nicely constructed attacking move. Touray & Rooney exchanged passes on the left -hand side of the area before the former played a low ball inside that found Gaffney, right-of-centre. A neat, short pass back inside teed up WHITEHEAD just outside the box and he finished perfectly, planting a low shot inside Fearon’s right-hand post, giving the keeper no real chance at all.

The Salford fans congregated behind Neal’s goal at the far end took a second or two to register the strike, but the delay did nothing to lessen their enthusiastic response.

The opening goal of the afternoon came in the 40th minute and Salford could have made it 2 almost immediately. From their next attack Lloyd played a pass to the right and into the path of Gaffney. The Irish striker has been in good scoring form recently but this time he could only skew a low shot wide of the far post.

Marine’s Danny Shaw was booked for a poorly-timed challenge on Rooney after that and Lloyd lined up the free-kick, 25 yards out and just right-of-centre. It was certainly within his effective range but this time Lloyd’s shot rose high and harmlessly over the crossbar.


A decent first-half from Salford but their domination of possession hadn’t really paid dividends until Whitehead fired them ahead. Marine hadn’t particularly managed to conjure much of a threat despite their busy, committed approach but the Ammies were about to be reminded that 1-0 is a very vulnerable lead.

The visitors actually started the second half very well, keeping possession, moving the ball around well and closing their opponents down quickly and effectively when the halfway line was crossed. All looked well yet the Mariners grabbed an equaliser almost out of nothing in the 49th minute.

A ball down Marine’s right seemed unlikely to cause too many problems but the ball bounced into the box and home skipper DANNY MITCHLEY judged its course better than anyone in a blue shirt. Neal was advancing to close down angles but could only watch in dismay as the Mariners’ number 9 lobbed an effort over his head. The ball dropped back down and bounced, almost in slow motion, inside Neal’s right-hand post to level the scores.

All square again and everything to play for. The home crowd had been behind their team anyway, but now they scented an FA Cup surprise in the air. Salford had to remain strong for a while and to their credit they did so, remaining focused and repelling the home side’s forays into their half.

In the 55th minute James Murray’s pass inside from the right found Liam Davies and he switched the ball onto his favoured left foot. The Marine midfielder had given himself a sight of goal but the 25-yarder was well wide of Neal’s right-hand post.

Encouragement for the majority of the 1,709 crowd but their hopes took a body blow just a couple of minutes later. Walker’s run on the left was followed by a cross that dropped just beyond the far post. Lloyd was on hand to head back inside and GAFFNEY was left with a simple task to nod home from close range.

Having restored their advantage Salford went in search of more goals and a crisp passing move ended when Lloyd’s left-footer from the edge of the box dropped over the target. His next effort suffered the same fate soon afterwards but the Ammies were now back in control, certainly in terms of possession.

Marine were working hard but opportunities to pierce Salford’s defence were not easy to come by. In the 69th minute Mitchley got to the line on the left then managed to turn a good cross over to the far post. James Joyce and Piergianni contested that one and the ball went behind of the head of the latter.
There would be no corner for the home side however as Joyce was penalised for a foul on his opponent.

It was a case of Fearon to the double-rescue for Marine 19 minutes from time. Whitehead chipped a good ball into the box from right-of-centre and Gaffney’s header looked likely to settle the tie until Fearon stretched to his right to push the effort away. Lloyd took possession on the left before dropping a cross towards the far post where Rooney powered in a header. The fans behind the goal were about to acclaim Salford’s 3rd of the afternoon until Fearon intervened again, getting down to his left, making another very good save.

The Mariners were still very much in the cup tie and Chris Sang tucked a pass back for Short on the left. A great cross to the far post followed but Mitchley was under pressure as he got up at the far edge of the 6-yard box, heading high over the target. Disappointment was etched onto the face of Marine’s skipper as a result of that rare chance not being taken.

Salford were still pressing forward and Touray’s cross from the left dropped for Gaffney on the right-hand side of the area. A smart turn followed but Gaffney was a little off-balance and could only scoop a shot over the crossbar.

Marine needed to apply a spell of consistent pressure, but Salford were defending well and always looked likely to cause problems when pressing forward. The Mariner’s won a free-kick in an advanced position with 7 minutes left and Davies’ left-footed delivery from right-of-centre dropped just beyond the far post. Defender Chris Doyle did brilliantly to head the ball into the middle where John Marsden lunged in, only for Hogan to just about get the ball away.

In the 87th minute Short made it into the area on the left and Salford substitute Devante Rodney, back helping his defence, had a dig at the ball. Short went down, claiming the penalty but Marine’s entreaties fell on deaf ears and the referee probably got that one right.

Half-chances for Marine but Salford should have finally booked their First Round place 2 minutes from the end. Touray’s pass up the left flank was picked up by Lloyd and he turned the ball inside for Gaffney. There was time and space, but Gaffney dragged a low effort wide of the far post when it looked easier to place it past Fearon.

The Ammies shut up shop for the few minutes that remained and despite a valiant effort Marine’s FA Cup run was over.


Northern Premier League Premier Division side Marine had ended the FA Cup hopes of the Athletics of Scarborough & Frickley before they won – impressively – at National League North Brackley Town in the 3rd Qualifying Round. A well organised, tenacious side they provided a stiff challenge for the Ammies but in the end the best team on the day progressed to the next round.

Steadier finishing from Salford could have seen them home earlier, and by a more comfortable margin. As it was the Mariners fancied their chances of a replay right up to the final whistle.

This was a game that could have easily proven to be a banana skin but the Ammies did a professional job and deserve to be in the hat for the First Round. The ebullience that greeted our first qualification for that stage was a little less obvious this time around but that’s a mark of how far expectations have risen at the Peninsula Stadium.

Well done to both the first team and youth team on what was a great cup weekend for Salford City. Jamie Russell’s lads face Bradford City in their First Round tie (31st October) and the Bantams senior side could be making the same trip just a few days later.

Tune in to BBC2 on Monday at 7:10pm to see who the draw chucks our way…

Attendance: 1,709 (approximately 400 from Salford)