S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Forest Green Rovers
Luke McGee
Kane Wilson
1 goals for Kane Wilson
Dom Bernard
Baily Cargill
Ben Stevenson
Ebou Adams
Matty Stevens

March 88'

Nicky Cadden
1 goals for Nicky Cadden
Jamille Matt (c)
Jordan Moore-Taylor
Yellow card for Jordan Moore-Taylor

Godwin-Malife 53'

Regan Hendry

Aitchison 58'

Salford City FC
Connor Ripley
Ibou Touray
Yellow card for Ibou Touray
Ash Eastham (c)
Corrie Ndaba

Golden 46'

Matty Lund
Yellow card for Matty Lund
Tom Elliott
Yellow card for Tom Elliott

Oteh 78'

Ash Hunter

Wright 29'

Matty Willock
Jordan Turnbull
Liam Shephard
Brandon Thomas-Asante
1 goals for Brandon Thomas-Asante
Lewis Thomas
Jack Aitchison
1 goals for Jack Aitchison
Jack Evans
Jake Young
Udoka Godwin-Malife
Sadou Diallo
Josh March
Zach Jeacock
Tyreik Wright
Aramide Oteh
Tylor Golden
Andy Smith
Lucas Kirnon
Kelly N'Mai
Head Coach - Rob Edwards
Manager - Gary Bowyer
Match Officals
Referee - Andy Woolmer
Assistant Referee - Philip Dermott
Assistant Referee - Louis Marks
Fourth Official - Sunny Gill

Close Team Sheet


An uneven second half display pushed Salford City towards defeat at the New Lawn. The Ammies had the better of the first 45 minutes, going ahead before being pegged back right on the stroke of half-time. Hopes of an equally accomplished performance after the interval would be dashed and in the end Forest Green Rovers were good value for their win.

There were a couple of changes from the side that started Tuesday’s goalless draw with Rochdale. Jordan Turnbull was back from suspension and slotted back into central defence alongside skipper Ash Eastham. Corrie Ndaba was pushed forward into midfield in place of suspended Jason Lowe, with Matty Willock in for Conor McAleny.

The first half would provide terrific entertainment and started as it meant to go on – with a chance created. Inside two minutes Kane Wilson pushed forward on Rovers’ right, getting a cross that was met by an Ebou Adams diving header. In the event Salford keeper Connor Ripley wasn’t troubled as the ball cleared his crossbar by some distance.

It was Salford’s turn within a couple more minutes as a nice build-up finished with Matty Lund getting in a good low shot from the edge of the box, and left of centre. Home keeper Luke McGee dived to his left to palm the ball away and by the time Brandon Thomas-Asante tucked home the rebound the referee’s whistle had long since signalled a free-kick against the Ammies.

Rovers went close on 5 minutes as defender Baily Cargill advanced into Salford’s half before trying to catch Ripley off his line with a mighty, lofted 45-yarder from left of centre. Ripley was backpedalling frantically and must have been relieved when the ball dropped over his crossbar.

There was a controversial incident in the 8th minute after Rovers defender Dominic Bernard miscued an attempted clearance. Ash Hunter broke into space and appeared to have a clear run on goal until he was clipped by Jordan Moore-Taylor. There was a case for Moore-Taylor being the last man but the referee decided that there was defensive cover and a yellow card would suffice. Hunter himself curled the free-kick towards the far post but no white shirt could get on the end.

Ibou Touray went into the book on the quarter-hour following a heavy challenge on Adams and the free-kick dropped to the edge of the box, left of centre. Adams arrived to hit a rising volley but was out of luck as the ball flashed wide of Ripley’s right-hand upright.

Plenty of attacking intent from both sides and on 17 minutes Salford took the lead. Touray’s ball forward from deep on the left dropped into the area where THOMAS-ASANTE’S delicate first touch took deceived Cargill. Moore-Taylor was getting across but didn't arrive in time as the Salford striker placed a low 16-yard finish between McGee and his right-hand post.

Having opened the scoring Salford nearly doubled their lead just a couple of minutes later. Lund’s ball to the right was back-heeled into the path of Liam Shephard by Thomas-Asante. The full-back delivered a decent cross into the area only for Moore-Taylor to clear right in front of Tom Elliott.

A really lively first quarter and although Forest Green were pressing forward, they weren’t really testing Ripley. The Ammies looked menacing whenever they crossed the halfway line and in the 23rd another Touray high ball forward from a deep position was nodded down by Elliott inside the box. Thomas-Asante's 16-yarder was blocked by Moore-Taylor, with possession falling for Lund, 20-yards out and a few feet inside from the angle of the box. A lobbed effort on goal followed and the ball was on target to dip under the bar until McGee stretched up his right arm to push it over the crossbar.

The corner was cleared without much fuss, but the Ammies soon had another. Hunter’s delivery from the left dropped beyond the far post, where Lund headed back inside. Turnbull got on the end of it, 6 yards out, but with a Rovers man in close attention couldn’t keep his hooked effort down.

Salford had the attacking momentum but suffered a blow just before the half-hour as Hunter took a knock and had to be replaced by Tyreik Wright. Even so, they maintained control of the game and were looking for more goals. Fourteen minutes before the interval Willock squared from the right for Lund to hit a low 25-yarder. McGee did well again, diving full-length to his left to push the effort wide of the upright at the expense of a corner.

That set-piece was cleared but within 60 seconds Shephard let fly with a left-footed 30-yard snapshot that McGee only took at the second attempt.

Plenty to encourage the vocal travelling support but the vital second goal had evaded Salford. Forest Green had been kept quiet for a while but on 33 minutes Nicky Cadden met a cross-field ball to the left with a powerfully struck shot back across goal and just wide of the far post.

Elliott picked up a yellow following an aerial clash with Moore-Taylor.

Nine minutes before the break Willock launched a great pass from the right-back position that sent Wright on a run. The Villa loanee cut inside before finding Elliott on the left and big striker stung McGee’s hands with a powerfully struck shot.

The Ammies put together a neat passing move involving Thomas-Asante, Shephard and Willock before the latter had shot blocked by the busy Moore-Taylor.

At the other end Adams hit a low shot that took a deflection, forcing Ripley down to his right to make a save. - his first of any note this afternoon. There would be another save for the on-loan keeper to make, 5 minutes before half-time, and it would be out of the top-drawer. Wilson advanced on the right before crossing low for Mathew Stevens to hit a rising 12-yarder only for Ripley to deny him with a tremendous reaction save, pushing the ball onto his left-hand post and out of play.

The penultimate chance of a pulsating half went Salford’s way after Wright and then Ndaba won crunching tackles in midfield. From the second Lund burst into the area, right-of-centre, before pushing the ball past McGee who stretched to get to it. Lund went down and replays may reveal the degree of contact that was made. The referee decided there had been none and booked the Salford man for simulation.

The game moved into time added on and Turnbull was penalised for a foul, just outside the penalty area. CADDEN stepped up to get in a strike and he did a fine job as a tremendous dipping & curling effort that beat Ripley before dropping just inside his left-hand upright.

A good time to score, so they say, and on this occasion that adage would prove to be true.


There was a change in personnel for the Ammies during half-time, with Tylor Golden replacing the injured Ndaba.

Within a minute of the restart Wilson’s run took him into the right-hand side of the area where he went to ground, claiming a foul. It was nowhere near a penalty, yet the referee decided not to book the Rovers man for his attempt to deceive.

Salford’s first attack came soon after as Shephard’s cross from the right dropped beyond the far post, but there was nobody on hand to meet Lund’s header back across goal.

It soon became obvious that the nature of the game had changed, with less intense attacking activity, particularly from the Ammies. Wilson created the next opportunity, in the 55th minute, getting forward on the right before squaring inside. Jamille Matt had been relatively quiet so far, but he got in a shot here, deflected behind off the covering Eastham. Cadden’s corner from the right dropped towards the far post where Cargill got up to glance a header wide of the target.

We had to wait for the hour mark for Salford’s next sight of goal as Thomas-Asante picked up possession on the right-hand side of the area. A touch put the ball onto his left foot but the shot that followed cleared the crossbar.

For Rovers Cadden moved to the left before trying a 20-yarder that was charged down by Golden.

A much quieter half so far, although the home side had been seeing more of the ball without really finding a way through Salford’s defence. That situation changed decisively in the 71st minute after Wilson picked up possession a Stevens lay-off on the right. There seemed little danger initially, but WILSON'S diagonal progress inside took him away from Turnbull before he jinked away from Eastham's sliding challenge just outside the area. There were still white shirts in front of him but the Rovers wing-back was allowed to advance into the area virtually unchallenged and he accepted the invitation to have a go in fine style. A rasping and rising 17 yard crashed high into the net to Ripley's left, with the keeper left grasping at thin air.

A great individual goal for Rovers but some rather large question marks hovered in the air when it came to analysing the defending.

The Ammies needed to find a response and just two minutes later Touray’s corner from the right dropped to the far post where the stretching Elliott could only head wide.

After that they struggled to create chances against a Rovers team that successfully slowed the game down. In fact, Rovers looked the more positive side during the closing stages and in the 82nd minute Wilson crossed from the right, and although Cadden and Adams threw themselves at the ball neither got a touch.

In the last minute of the 90 Adams nudged a pass to the left for Cadden to cross. Substitute Josh March challenged Turnbull for the ball in front of goal only to be penalised for a foul.

A Touray free-kick from wide and deep on the right was collected easily by McGee at the near post. After that there was another spot of controversy as Wright appeared to be tugged back inside the box, with the referee waving play on.

Maybe something of an escape there, but Forest Green responded by making the game safe. Rovers pushed forward and substitute JACK AITCHISON picked up Matt's nudge inside from the left before cutting towards the edge of the penalty area. Again there was little in the way of a challenge and although Turnbull attempted a sliding block it would be in vain as a low shot from 18 yards beat Ripley's dive to the right.

Thomas-Asante planted a very late header at McGee but by then Salford’s interest in the destination of the points was over.


A very good first half performance was followed by a very average second. The Ammies more than matched the league leaders before the interval yet failed to ignite after it.

Gary Bowyer and his coaching staff will be disappointed with the defending for those two second half goals and concerned by the relatively lack-lustre display after the interval.

A few decisions went against Salford this afternoon, which is frustrating, but overall it appears there is little more than confidence, a touch of consistency and a cutting edge separating the current league leaders and 17th placed Salford City. All essential attributes for a team to have of course, and there's a chance for Salford to hone theirs when Exeter City visit the Peninsula Stadium next week.

Fingers crossed we see the first-half performance stretched over 90 minutes for that one...