S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Dagenham & Redbridge
Elliot Justham
Callum Reynolds
Dean Rance

Jones 67'

Will Wright
Kenny Clark
Yellow card for Kenny Clark
Mo Sagaf
Angelo Balanta (C)
Myles Weston
Matt Robinson
Sam Ling

Akanbi 71'

Mauro Vihete

Saunders 80'

Salford City FC
Connor Ripley
Ibou Touray
Jason Lowe
Ash Eastham (C)
Matthew Lund
Yellow card for Matthew Lund
Josh Morris

Love 79'

Jordan Turnbull
1 goals for Jordan Turnbull Yellow card for Jordan Turnbull
Aramide Oteh

McAleny 62'

Andy Smith
Liam Shephard
Ian Henderson

N'Mai 79'

Billy Lawlor
George Saunders
Ryley Scott
Ibby Akanbi
Joey Jones
Joel Torrance
Donald Love
Conor McAleny
Tylor Golden
Lucas Kirnon
Alex Denny
Kelly N'Mai
Manager - Daryl McMahon
Manager - Gary Bowyer
Match Officals
Referee - David Rock
Assistant Referee - Aaron Farmer
Assistant Referee - Greg Read
Fourth Official - Carl Brook

Close Team Sheet


A Jordan Turnbull header within 3 minutes of the start proved enough for Salford City to book an FA Cup Second Round tie at home to Chesterfield. The Ammies rode their luck a little bit at times, relying on the prowess of keeper Connor Ripley to keep the Daggers at bay. In the end though, that early goal and a clean sheet were sufficient to give Salford City a chance of making it to the competition’s 3rd Round for the first time in the club’s history.

Injury problems have provided a headache or two for manager Gary Bowyer, but Conor McAleny and Ian Henderson both available for this FA Cup tie.

Salford started their evening in positive fashion and in the 2nd minute Josh Morris’ low cross-field pass was picked up by Ibou Touray on the left. The full-back was making his 200th Salford City appearance and crashed a powerful 20-yarder into Daggers’ defender Sam Ling and wide for a corner. Liam Shephard delivered the set-piece, right-footed from the left with TURNBULL arriving on the edge of the 6-yard box to plant in a header that took a deflection on its way past home keeper Elliot Justham.

The perfect start for Salford but their hosts responded with a flurry of attacks without managing to carve out a chance. The next opening went to Salford’s Aramide Oteh whose 20-yarder clipped off a defender and behind for a corner.

The Ammies went close again on 7 minutes after a Morris corner from the left was contested by Matty Lund at the near post. The former Rochdale man was being pressured by a defender and the ball skidded off one of their heads to safety on the far side.

After that Dagenham began to see a lot more of the ball, with the lively Mo Sagaf trying a 20-yarder that cleared the crossbar.

Salford were having to concentrate on the defensive side of the game, repelling a number of throw-ins, free-kicks and corners as the Daggers looked for a leveller. The home side were finding opportunities hard to come by and an angled Sagaf effort from the left, blocked bravely by Andy Smith, was the best this promising spell would produce for them.

In the 28th minute Myles Weston squared from the left for Matt Robinson to hit a steeply rising effort that cleared the bar by a dozen or so yards.

Weston was behind the game’s next chance, a couple of minutes later, but this time his diagonal pass back from the left was intercepted by Oteh. The Salford striker cut into the box on the right but before he could pull the trigger Kenny Clark slid in with a great tackle.

At the other end Angelo Balanta pounced on a loose ball just inside the box but Ripley was equal to his low shot as he dropped smartly to save and hold.

Callum Reynolds had a go from distance 9 minutes before the interval, but he couldn’t keep the effort down.

Lots of possession had yielded no more than a couple of half chances for the Daggers but they very ,nearly got back on terms in the 38th minute. Ling lifted in a great cross from the right, met by Robinson with a bullet header at the far post that looked destined to make it 1-1. Ripley had other ideas, extending an arm to make a superb reaction save as he pushed the ball over the crossbar.

Great keeping from Ripley and he would be called into action again within another couple of minutes. Weston cut inside from the left before drilling in a low shot that had Ripley diving full-length to his left to push away. Seconds later Robinson slammed in a low 22-yarder with the keeper diving left again to make another good save.

Salford’s keeper would need treatment right at the end of the half following a clash inside the area, but he had done his job with that string of saves.

The last chance of the half went to the visitors, during time added on as Oteh whipped in a cross from the right. Ian Henderson got between two defenders but from the edge of the 6-yard box could only poke the dropping ball over the bar.

The Ammies had a slender lead to take into the second half, despite that late pressure from the Dagenham & Redbridge.


Salford City could have doubled their lead within 2 minutes of the restart after Turnbull squared inside from the left. Again the Daggers defence were slow to start but got away with it as Oteh sliced wide of the keeper’s right-hand upright from the edge of the area.

Once again the home side would have the better of the attacking possession, without managing to do to much with it. The Ammies were defending diligently following those scares at the end of the first half and it would be the 62nd minute before the Sagaf had the first effort of note as he cleared the bar from 20 yards out.

Conor McAleny replaced Oteh after that and Dagenham were being held at arms’ length. Former Ammie Joey Jones came on for the home side midway through the second half, but the pattern of the game remained tightly contested with not too much goalmouth incident.

McAleny had a go from some distance with 20 minutes to play but not for the first time this evening a shot on goal would clear the target by a few yards.

Weston whipped a good cross in from the right, with substitute Ibby Akanbi moving towards the far post in anticipation. Once again though Ripley contained the danger, stretching to pluck the ball out of the air.

With 15 to play Touray crossed from the left for Ash Eastham to get in a 15-yard header that dropped just over the crossbar.

A quiet second half but Dagenham needed a goal and could have got one in the 77th minute. Will Wright’s pass to the left found Mauro Vilhete whose angled shot was held by Ripley at the near post.

The Ammies made a couple of changes next with Donald Love and Kelly Nmai replacing Morris and Henderson respectively.

Into the last 10 minutes then, and the remaining time would see the Daggers going all out for an equaliser. Balanta had a little space just outside the penalty area 8 minutes from time and will be disappointed to have planted a shot straight at Ripley.

Just a couple of minutes later Dagenham came very close to getting their goal after Wright’s corner from the left dropped just beyond the far post. Reynolds was there to get in a close-range header that Ripley did well to block and a defender hacked the loose ball clear from a yard or two in front of the line.

So close for the Daggers and they continued to press, with Wright’s effort from a very tight angle on the right whistling harmlessly over the bar. Salford remained under pressure and Dagenham substitute George Saunders lobbed in an effort from outside the box on the left that was on course to dip under the bar until Ripley stretched to tip over for a corner.

Another fine save from the Preston loanee and there would be a break in play shortly afterwards as a home fan received medical treatment before being stretchered away, with a round of applause from both sets of supporters. We offer him best wishes on behalf of Salford City Football Club.

Play resumed with Dagenham committing men forward and the Ammies getting theirs behind the ball. In the 5th minute of time added on Robinson nudged a pass to Saunders on the left and from just inside the area he tested the keeper again. Needless to say Ripley didn’t let his team down, parrying the powerful shot away from his near upright.

The Daggers plugged away and we were in the 8th additional minute when they were awarded a free-kick wide on the right. Wright’s delivery found its way through to Robinson at the far post, but he appeared to be caught in two minds, succeeding only in lifting a 10 yard first-timer high into the night air and behind for a goal kick.

That would be the game’s last opportunity and the post-match draw would see ball number 5 belong solely to Salford City.


Job done from an Ammie point of view, although Dagenham & Redbridge will doubtless refer to a number of good chances and some excellent goalkeeping from Ripley.

They’d probably be right too – on the balance of play, the least the Daggers deserved from this was a replay. They didn’t get it though, thanks to some dogged defending from Gary Bowyer’s reshuffled side and a keeper who was in top form.

The boot has been on the other foot a few times this season, with Salford not getting their just rewards from games – it’s nice for the fortune to go our way for a change.

We can now look forward to a Second Round tie at The Peninsula Stadium during the first weekend of December when Chesterfield – currently 3rd in the National League – provide the opposition.

Like tonight, that won’t be an easy game but the Ammies are one win away from an FA Cup shot at one of the big boys. In the meantime though, it’s back to the bread and butter of the league and a trip to Scunthorpe United on Saturday.

A special mention for those who chose to travel tonight, even though the game had been moved to a Monday evening and was being shown live on TV. Great support, making themselves heard all through the game.