S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Callum Burton
Bradley Barry
Yellow card for Bradley Barry
Jerome Binnom-Williams
Will Evans
Curtis Weston
Yellow card for Curtis Weston
Lee Shaw
Haydn Hollis
Jonathan Smith (c)
Yellow card for Jonathan Smith (c)
Levi Amantchi

Weir '81

Tom Denton

Hallam '55

Andrew Kiwomya
2 goals for Andrew Kiwomya 2 goals for Andrew Kiwomya
Salford City FC
Chris Neal
Scott Wiseman
Ibou Touray

Hogan '68

Carl Piergianni
Adam Rooney (c)
Danny Lloyd
Tom Walker
Liam Nolan

Dieseruvwe '68

Danny Whitehead
Nathan Pond
Rory Gaffney

Politic '46

Joe Anyon
Michael Nelson
Robbie Weir
Sam Muggleton
Jordan Hallam
Liam Hogan
Max Crocombe
Mani Dieseruvwe
Dennis Politic
Harry Brockbank
Manager - Martin Allen
Manager - Graham Alexander
Match Officals
Referee - Leigh Doughty
Assistant Referee - Blake Antrobus
Assistant Referee - Paul Stonier
Fourth Official - Joseph Goodwin

Close Team Sheet


On Saturday 11th August Salford City lost their National League Game at Sutton United and Chesterfield beat Braintree Town at the Proact Stadium. Those results left the Spireites with 9 points from 9 and the Ammies with just the one. It makes you wonder what odds you could have got back then on Chesterfield not adding another win and Salford avoiding another defeat by the time the two sides met again 4 months later. It would have been an unlikely bet that paid off, and today the form book was overturned as Chesterfield came out on top.

Graham Alexander named an unchanged sixteen, with Liam Nolan recovering quickly from the injury sustained early on during last week’s win over Havant & Waterlooville.

The wet and windy Derbyshire weather would prove a bleak omen for the Ammies who fell behind with less than 2 minutes on the clock. Big striker Levi Amantchi took advantage of Salford’s defensive hesitancy to advance on a right-wing run. Having reached the area he cut inside before rolling an unselfish square ball towards the far post where ANDREW KIWOMYA had time and space to slot a low finish between Chris Neal and the upright.

Salford caught very cold, as well as damp and windswept, and in front of a crowd in excess of 5,000 it was clear the Spireites meant business. Nine consecutive drawn games and a place in the division’s bottom 4 cannot be anywhere close to this club's expectations for midway through the season and a big result was very much needed.

The Ammies did their best to respond quickly, pressing forward from the restart. A decent build-up on the right ended with Danny Whitehead collecting possession, right-of-centre and just outside the box. A quick shimmy found a yard of space, but the low shot was comfortably smothered by Callum Burton, who spent time on loan at Moor Lane last season.

For the next 20 minutes or so the Spireites edged possession, winning a corner or two without managing to test Neal again. Goalmouth action was rare during this spell, but Salford eventually found a little bit of attacking rhythm. Rory Gaffney latched onto a ball inside the box on the left, heading for the line before drilling in a low cross that strike partner Adam Rooney just failed to get to.

Gaffney was involved again within a minute, again collecting a pass into the left-hand side of the area. The first touch was a trifle heavy and although Gaffney got past the advancing Burton, the ball ran out of play.

The Ammies were looking dangerous and when Danny Lloyd’s pass to the left was picked up by Gaffney, he tucked the ball back for Ibou Touray. A curling cross was headed partially clear a few yards out, sitting up for Lloyd to try a 15-yarder from right-of-centre that Burton saved fairly comfortably.

Something for the travelling supporters – in fine voice again – to get excited about although Burton hadn’t had to exert himself too much. That burst of attacking activity from the visitors perked up Chesterfield and lofty front-man Tom Denton had a shot from the edge of the box blocked. Twelve minutes before half-time the lively Lee Shaw pushed forward on the right before sliding a pass inside and back for skipper Jonathan Smith. The shot was on and Smith’s low, angled effort from 22-yards was collected at the 2nd attempt by Neal.

The game had opened up again and Tom Walker’s advance was followed up by a swerving shot that deflected off a defender and behind for a corner.

The final few minutes of the first half belonged to Chesterfield, with Amantchi slipping past Nathan Pond just inside Salford’s half. A burst of speed took the striker into the left-hand side of the area but with team-mates struggling to keep pace he elected to drill in low effort that was saved by Neal. Shaw was the next to push forward, this time through the middle, before flicking the ball out to Kiwomya on the left. A neat pass back found Smith in space and he slammed in a rising drive from nearly 30 yards out that Neal held comfortably enough.

That was that for a half that started dramatically before entertaining only in fits and starts.


There was a change in Salford personnel at half-time as Dennis Politic came on for Gaffney, with Lloyd pushed forward as result.

Chestefield’s Smith and Brendan Barry were both yellow-carded within a few minutes of the restart, the second for a foul on former Spireite Scott Wiseman.

There was little more to report from the second half’s opening stages and we had to wait until the 53rd minute for a first opportunity. It went to Salford as Rooney’s run on the right was followed by a cross that was cleared by Haydn Hollis. The ball fell to the edge of the area where Walker arrived to strike a shot that soared high over the crossbar, much to his own very obvious disappointment.

A few minutes later Rooney’s pass to the left sent Lloyd on a run and his cross dropped into the 6-yard box. There was no white shirt in close attendance, but Hollis, facing his own goal, headed over for a corner that came to nothing.

Not a bad little spell for the Ammies but just before the hour mark, they went further behind. Chesterfield substitute Jordan Hallam’s surging run through the middle was finished off by a fierce rising shot that Neal did very well to tip onto his right-hand post. Fortune didn’t favour the Salford keeper as the ball dropped nicely for KIWOMYA who duly slotted home his 2nd of the afternoon.

Salford worked hard to find a way back into the game but the feeling was growing that this wasn’t going to be their day. Too much of their play hadn’t come off this afternoon and Chesterfield – as you might expect for side without a league win in almost 4 months – were in no mood to relinquish their precious lead.

With just over 20 minutes to play the visitors made a double substitution, bringing on Mani Dieseruvwe & Liam Hogan for Nolan & Touray. Those changes ushered in another outing for the three-at-the-back formation and the Ammies were soon exerting a fair degree of pressure on the home goal.

In the 75th minute the Salford almost got back into contention following a good passage of play. Lloyd found Rooney who poked a pass back to the edge of the box where Politic was closing in. The young midfielder almost got his 2nd goal in 2 weeks, driving in a right foot shot that Burton did well to push around his right-hand post. Walker swung in the left-flank corner and Carl Piergianni met it on the edge of the 6-yard box with a downward header that looked destined to make it 2-1. Hefty left-back Jerome Binnon-Williams, facing his own goal, stuck out his foot and enjoyed a huge slice of luck as the ball defied the laws of Physics, managing to deflect up and over the bar from no more than a foot or two out. Chesterfield struggled to deal with this corner too, but in the end an offside flag came to their rescue, providing a valuable breathing space.

No luck there, but Salford were on the scent of some reward from a game that looked to have slipped beyond them. Walker slid a great ball down the left, sending Lloyd into space but with bodies arriving in the middle the cross was disappointingly over-hit.

Chesterfield’s defence had more work to do 10 minutes from time after Wiseman chased a lofted pass almost to the right-hand corner flag. The full-back did well to get in a cross and Dieseruvwe’s nodded header under pressure dropped into the arms of Burton.

A couple of minutes later the Ammies went agonisingly close to a goal after Whitehead delivered a free-kick from deep on the left. Once again Piergianni was there to meet it but the downward header spun off Burton’s feet and behind for a corner.

Time was running out for Salford and their 20-game unbeaten run. The Spireites emerged from their spell under siege and Smith’s shot from outside the box was blocked by Hogan. Curtis Weston met the loose ball with a cross-shot from the right but the ball flashed past the far post.

Back down at the other end Hogan met Lloyd’s corner from the right with a stooping header that dropped wide of the target. The centre-half went close again just before the end of the 90 minutes, glancing Whitehead’s free-kick from the left just past the far post.

The game - and that run – was up and the final chance of the afternoon went to the home side. Smith passed to Kiwomya, in space on the left, and despite being on a hat-trick he slipped a ball inside to Hallam whose low, angled effort was pushed away at full stretch by Neal.


Salford City took a warm ovation from the 268 fans who had travelled to lend their support – despite today’s result that tremendous unbeaten run deserved recognition. Leyton Orient’s defeat at Boreham Wood earlier in the afternoon had offered an opportunity to reclaim the divisional top-spot, but that will have to be left on the back-burner for a fortnight or so.

An uninformed glance at the league table might have encouraged the idea that Salford would secure a straightforward win, but that was never likely to be the case. Chesterfield’s season – after a brief early explosion – has been a tale of underachievement, yet with the talent at their disposal that winless run was always going to come to an end.

It’s a shame for Salford that it had to be today, but after going a goal behind the Ammies never really slipped into the form that has led their charge to the upper reaches of the National League table. Only after going 2 down did they show glimpses of their true ability but when a little bit of luck was needed it simply refused to materialose. Any one of those late chance might have gone in and that would have piled pressure on a Chesterfield side and started nerves jangling.

As always when things don't go well, it’s now all about the response. Next week we entertain Gateshead In the FA Trophy before Dagenham & Redbridge visit in the league just before Christmas. A win over Peter Taylor’s rapidly improving side would set us up nicely for the busy Christmas/New Year period…

Attendance: 5,055 (268 Salford City)