S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Carlisle United
Magnus Norman
Kelvin Mellor
Jack Armer
Rod McDonald
Joe Riley
Callum Guy (c)
Yellow card for Callum Guy (c)
Zach Clough
Yellow card for Zach Clough

Gibson 54'

Brennan Dickenson
1 goals for Brennan Dickenson

Mampala 83'

Jon Mellish
1 goals for Jon Mellish
Tristan Abrahams
Yellow card for Tristan Abrahams

Alessandra 74'

Corey Whelan
Salford City FC
Zach Jeacock
Ibou Touray
Jason Lowe
Yellow card for Jason Lowe
Corrie Ndaba
Matthew Lund

Willock 82'

Josh Morris
1 goals for Josh Morris
Jordan Turnbull
Yellow card for Jordan Turnbull
Conor McAleny
Liam Shephard

Elliott 79'

Brandon Thomas-Asante

Hunter 61'

Ian Henderson (c)
Lukas Jensen
Lewis Alessandra
Taylor Charters
Morgan Feeney
Manasse Mampala
Jordan Gibson
Brad Young
Joel Torrance
Tom Elliott
Ash Hunter
Matty Willock
D'Mani Mellor
Andy Smith
Kelly N'Mai
Head Coach - Chris Beech
Manager - Gary Bowyer
Match Officals
Referee - Martin Coy
Assistant Referee - Peter Gooch
Assistant Referee - Chris Isherwood
Fourth Official - Andrew Miller

Close Team Sheet


There was more disappointment on the road for Salford City as they slipped to a 2-1 defeat at Brunton Park. The Ammies went behind early on yet created a host of first-half chances and were deservedly level at half-time. The second half would be less productive for Gary Bowyer’s side and after conceding on the hour they couldn’t find a decisive response.

There were enforced changes from the XI that started last week’s comfortable win over Newport County. With goalkeeper Tom King called up to the Wales squad, Birmingham City loanee Zach Jeacock was handed his first EFL League start for the Ammies. Skipper Ash Eastham was unavailable, so Jordan Turnbull was drafted into the centre of defence alongside Corrie Ndaba. Tyreik Wright is away on international duty with the Republic of Ireland U21s, so Brandon Thomas-Asante was restored to the starting line-up in his place.

Salford’s afternoon in Cumbria started promisingly as they passed the ball around nicely, creating an early chance to score. Ibou Touray slipped a pass to Ian Henderson on the right and he threaded a diagonal ball inside. Josh Morris was on the end of it and got in a low shot only to see the effort blocked by United keeper Magnus Norman. The loose ball fell for Thomas-Asante but the angle was difficult and he could only drag a left-footed effort wide of the target.

Carlisle had enjoyed very little possession inside the visitors’ half early on yet took the lead with 8 minutes played. A long Joe Riley throw from the left was headed clear, but only as far as BRENNAN DICKENSON. The former Exeter man tried a 15-yard hooked left-footer that beat Jeacock’s stretching dive before clipping off the inside of his left-hand post and dropping over the line.

A poor reward for Salford’s good start but they would soon be on the hunt for a leveller. In the meantime though Carlisle had another sight of goal just a couple of minutes after Dickenson’s strike. Home captain Callum Guy’s corner from the left dropped to the far post to be met by Jack Armer, whose header under pressure flashed wide and high of the target.

After that the Ammies intensified their attacking efforts, starting in the 14th minute as Touray pushed forward on the left. A ball inside for Thomas-Asante was moved on to Henderson at the far angle of the box and he slid a diagonal ball back inside. Morris was onto it, only to be denied again as his effort on goal went behind thanks to a deflection off Kelvin Mellor.

Salford were on top territorially and on 19 minutes Touray’s high cross from the left dropped to the far post. A nod back across goal dropped for Matty Lund at the near upright and his first Ammie goal appeared to be on the cards. The header was a good one, but Norman’s save was top-drawer as he managed to extend a hand and flick the ball over the crossbar.

Great keeping from the former England Under 18 international , but his next contribution would be less impressive. In the 25th minute, with the ball at his feet and under little pressure, Norman’s low pass succeeded only in picking out Conor McAleny on the edge of the box. The ball was duly controlled and a low shot followed with Norman quickly redeeming himself as he made a good blocking stop. Jason Lowe got to the loose ball first but he was stretching to get in a low effort that went wide of the keeper’s left-hand post.

A gilt-edged opportunity spurned, it has to be said, but the Ammies continued to apply pressure. Lund was the next to threaten, getting in a low shot from the left that Henderson just failed to reach at the far post. The ball rolled just wide of the upright and Carlisle had escaped again.

United had been quiet for a while, but on the half-hour Zach Clough was allowed to advance through the middle to slot home. There were no celebrations as the assistant eventually raised his flag for offside, although the referee had already blown his whistle by then. Seconds later Mellor advanced on the right before passing inside for Jon Mellish. The home number 12 was 20 yards out and right of centre when he turned to hit a low shot that had Jeacock dropping to his right to save and hold.

Something for the home supporters to cheer, but the action soon switched back to the other end. Henderson latched onto a flicked header 11 minutes before the interval, before advancing on a run through the inside-right channel. Another low, diagonal delivery followed but the sliding Morris couldn’t quite get a boot to it.

The game got a little bit tetchy for a while, with Clough and Turnbull joining Tristran Abrahams in the referee’s notebook. In the 42nd minute Mellish’s low ball forward from deep split open the Salford defence and Abrahams had a clear run on goal. He made it into the box but from 16 yards out and right of centre hit a shot that lacked pace, with Jeacock able to drop down and make a routine save.

It looked as if the Ammies would go into half-time behind, but in the penultimate minute of the 45 they finally scored the goal their efforts merited. McAleny’s pass picked out MORRIS whose low, angled effort from just right of centre beat Norman’s despairing drive on its sedate yet accurate course inside the far post.


Accepted football wisdom suggests that just before the interval is a great time to score. Hopes were therefore high that Salford might kick on during the second half, turning their footballing superiority into more goals and a first away win of the new season.

It wouldn’t quite pan out that way and the Ammies looked a little bit flat almost from the restart. In the 50th minute Thomas-Asante, despite a buffeting from two Carlisle defenders, managed to slip a low pass out to Liam Shephard on the right. The full-back aimed a cross at the far post where McAleny got up above Corey Whelan only to nod an effort over the bar.

That would be about it in terms of goalscoring chances during the opening stages of the second half. There was a real determination about Carlisle and the home side were prepared to break play up and get men behind the ball when they needed to.

Salford were obliged to pass sideways and backwards as they waited for a gap to open up. They almost found a way through in the 57th minute after Lund lobbed a clever pass to Shephard on the right and the former Newport man drilled a low cross into the 6-yard box. There were black shirts in the vicinity, yet it was Norman who got down to grasp the ball and just about hold onto it. Carlisle tried to hit on the break with Dickenson making ground on the left before delivering a cross that was too far in front of Abrahams.

Plenty of possession for the Ammies but it hadn’t developed into much in front of goal. As had happened in the first half, they were to fall behind to a Carlisle goal that came a little bit out of the blue. Another long throw dropped into the penalty area and was only half cleared. Guy knocked the ball back into the box where central defender Rod McDonald nodded down for MELLISH to poke home from close range.

Not the best of defending from Salford and now they were chasing a game that they could have pushed beyond Carlisle’s reach during the first half.

The travelling support had been calling for the introduction of Ash Hunter for some time, and their wish was granted just past the hour as Thomas-Asante made way. Hunter would look busy but having re-established their lead Carlisle looked determined to hold on to it.

Lowe was booked for a foul on Mellish as signs of frustration started to show and time was running out for a Salford side who were struggling to find the attacking fluency they’d displayed prior to half-time.

Carlisle had numbers in defence when required but were also looking to score a 3rd goal that would wrap up the points. In the 71st minute a Guy corner from the left was cleared, only for possession to fall for Jordan Gibson on the right-hand side of the area. The Carlisle substitute drilled in a low shot that Jeacock could only fumble and it was left to Lowe to punt clear as blue shirts closed in.

At the other end a neat Touray turn on the left took him clear of an opponent and he pushed forward before delivering low into the danger zone. McAleny was waiting but McDonald was there to get in a clearance.

A Guy run on the left won Carlisle a corner 14 minutes from time and when the ball came in, Gibson headed back inside from the right. Right-back Mellor tried an ambitious overhead kick from 15 yards out and was unlucky as the ball dropped over the bar. Mellish was the next to attack down United’s left, squaring inside for substitute Lewis Alessandra to hit a low effort straight at Jeacock who duly made the save.

Tom Elliott replaced Shephard with 11 to play and the Ammies were looking to force a way through United’s stubborn rearguard. They would have to keep an eye on the home side’s counters though, and Alessandra made good ground on the left before hoisting a cross to the far post. Riley was on the end of it, but pressure from Turnbull forced him to scuff a shot wide of the upright.

Matty Willock came on for Lund late on, but the next effort on goal went the way of the home side as Alessandra had a shot deflected wide for a corner. In the final minute of the 90 Hunter chased a lofted ball into the area only for Mellor to usher it back safely to Norman.

There would be 4 minutes of time added on, yet Salford couldn’t force the pace during the time that remained. Manasse Mampala headed down for Alessandra to shoot, with Jeacock again making the save and holding onto the ball.

The Ammies won a corner on their left, with Hunter going short to Lowe and lifting a cross into the middle after receiving the return ball. Elliott met the ball with a header but was left disappointed as his effort dropped harmlessly over the crossbar.

Willock did well to hustle Mellor out of possession on Salford’s left, but a dribble into the box didn’t produce an opportunity to pass or shoot and a wall of blue-shirted defenders did enough to snuff out the danger.


This defeat will be a bitter pill for Gary Bowyer and his team to swallow after a 1st half that on a kinder afternoon might have yielded 3 or 4 Salford goals. In the event they managed just the one and then failed to recreate their attacking form after the break.

The Ammies deserved at least a share of the spoils from this match, but as we all know, deserving and getting are much different things in the world of football.

A dose of clinical finishing could have seen Carlisle off relatively early, but credit is due to the home side as they rode their luck yet emerged to score two goals of their own.

A defeat that leaves the Ammies in 20th place – it’s a false position based on their performances so far, but potential has to be turned into points soon. Next up is a visit from 3rd placed Bradford City next Saturday and a win might just be the tonic required to get Salford’s season up and running.