S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

David Gregory
Tobi Adebayo-Rowling

Sutherland 65

Jack Holland (c)
Frankie Raymond
Omar Bugiel
Yellow card for Omar Bugiel

De Silva 88

Adam Mekki
Red card for Adam Mekki
Jordan Higgs
Jake Goodman
George Porter
Yellow card for George Porter

Goddard 76

Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe
Sam Wood
Salford City FC
Chris Neal
Scott Wiseman
Ibou Touray
Yellow card for Ibou Touray
Carl Piergianni
Adam Rooney (c)
Danny Lloyd

Hogan 85

Tom Walker
1 goals for Tom Walker

Maynard 85

Danny Whitehead
Mark Shelton
Nathan Pond
Rory Gaffney
Dan Johnson
Frankie Sutherland
Bobby-Joe Taylor
Kyle De Silva
John Goddard
Max Crocombe
Liam Hogan
Nick Haughton
Lois Maynard
Devante Rodney
Manager - Neil Smith
Manager - Graham Alexander
Match Officals
Referee - Adrian Quelch
Assistant Referee - Aaron Farmer
Assistant Referee - Craig Green
Fourth Official - Jack Willmore

Close Team Sheet


Salford City overpowered ten-man Bromley at Hayes Lane this afternoon, extending their unbeaten run to 8 games and climbing to 4th in the National League table. The Ammies were already one up, courtesy of Rory Gaffney’s first-half header before home midfielder Adam Mekki was dismissed for a nasty challenge on Nathan Pond. After that Graham Alexander’s men took a firm grip on the game, adding a second goal when Tom Walker scored from close range on the hour.

There was only one change from the squad that saw off Maidstone United last Saturday as Lois Maynard, returning from international duty, was included amongst the substitutes.

The Ravens of Bromley had lost just 1 of their opening 5 home games and they fashioned the first chance of the afternoon within the opening minute. Striker George Porter picked up a stray Salford pass but from left-of-centre and the edge of the box sent a pea-roller straight at Chris Neal.

The home side settled quickest on their synthetic surface and were presented with another opportunity in the 5th minute. Danny Lloyd was crowded out on the left and his attempted back-pass deflected off Carl Piergianni and into the path of Tobi Adebayo-Rowling. The Ravens’ right-back advanced quickly before playing a low ball into the box. Junior Ogedi-Uzokwe almost got onto the end of that one but Pond had read the danger, getting across to poke behind for a corner.

Salford countered and Gaffney’s low ball across the box from the left evaded Bromley’s defence, finding its way to Adam Rooney. It looked as if an 8th goal of the season was on the cards for the Ammies leading scorer but his effort was blocked by Jake Goodman, spinning behind for a corner.

The visitors were finding their attacking feet and created a decent opening with 11 minutes played. Walker’s advance on the right was followed up by a pass inside and Danny Whitehead’s clever first touch took him past his man. Possession was moved on to Mark Shelton who squared to the left where Danny Lloyd tried a low 30-yarder that was well wide of David Gregory’s left-hand post.

Gaffney was the next to threaten, pushing forward to the line on the left before dropping a cross into the area. Walker had his back to goal and the trajectory was inviting. The execution wasn’t quite right however and the ambitious effort was heading wide before it clipped off a defender for a corner.

An even start to the game and it was Bromley’s turn to attack next. Omar Bugiel met a loose ball on the run, darting into the box on the right. The angle was tight by the time he got in a shot but Neal had to deal with it, stooping to hold at the near post. Soon after that Mekki got in an effort from the left but the ball was always rising and this time Salford's keeper had no cause for concern.

The Ravens got on top – territorially, at least – as the midpoint of the half approached. The home side won a few corners and free-kicks yet despite a couple of dangerous balls into the box Salford’s defence held firm. In the 23rd minute Frankie Raymond was clipped just outside the penalty area and Mekki stood over the ball on the edge of the ‘D’ and a few yards left of centre. A delay in taking the free-kick built some anticipation among the home support but they were left with a sense of anti-climax as Mekki’s effort sailed high over the crossbar.

The Ravens won a quick corner and Mekki’s delivery from the left initiated a bit of a scramble in front of goal before a Salford defender lumped the ball clear. The home number 11’s next contribution was a tricky run into the box on the left but he was closed down before any damage could be done.

The Ammies had been quiet for a little while but just before the half-hour Gaffney nicked possession inside Bromley territory, on the right. A pass inside picked out Walker who was in space but his low 25-yard shot zipped outside Gregory’s left-hand upright.

Quite an isolated opening for Salford and the home side went close to going ahead 12 minutes before the break. Ogedi-Uzokwe beat Pond to the ball on the left before tucking a pass inside for Bugiel. A bit of powerful running gave the Bromley man a sight of goal but his low shot was saved by Neal.

The home crowd had been encouraged by their side’s performance so far but Salford scored a goal, a little bit against the run of play, in the 36th minute. It was quite well-worked too as Lloyd’s corner from the right was taken short and picked up by Walker. A nice delivery dropped just beyond the far post where Rooney unselfishly looped a header back across goal. The Bromley defence was stretched and GAFFNEY arrived at pace to power home a close range header.

The Ravens went in search of a quick leveller and Porter’s long throw was flicked on by Goodman only for Neal to display safe hands again. Bromley won a couple more free-kicks but were unable to find a way past a visiting defence that looked sturdy and well organised. The last chance of the half went to Salford as Walker floated inside from the right only to lift a left-footer from some distance over the bar.


On the balance of first-half play Bromley may have considered themselves unfortunate to be behind. They looked to press from the restart but it took nearly 5 minutes before Salford’s defence had real work to do. Bugiel’s run took him to the edge of the box but by the time he pulled the trigger Pond was in position to block, with the ball running wide for a corner. The delivery from the left dropped for Porter at the far post but his header back inside didn’t pick out a white shirt.

Promising for the Ravens but their wings would be clipped just a couple of minutes later. Pond looked set to clear, wide on the right and inside Salford’s half, until Mekki stretched to get in a tackle that at first sight looked suspiciously over the top. With Pond on the turf Mekki’s team-mates protested his innocence but the referee had made up his mind, brandishing a straight red card that left Bromley facing nearly 40 minutes of football with a man short. Porter was booked for pushing his protests a little bit too far and the game had tilted very much on Salford’s favour.

The Ammies immediately went in search of a second goal and Lloyd’s cross from the left just evaded Rooney at the far post. Whitehead followed up with a shot but he could only direct his effort wide of Gregory’s left-hand post with claims for a corner falling upon deaf ears.

Walker started off the next attack of note as his pass released Gaffney into space on the right. The low cross that followed was met by Lloyd but his attempt to clip an effort inside the far post didn’t quite come off as the ball went narrowly wide.

Bromley tried to exert some pressure but were caught on the counter just past the hour. Gaffney was getting through a tremendous amount of work again and he advanced wide on the left , getting almost to the line before pulling a low ball back to the edge of the 6-yard box. There white shirts around but it was WALKER who got there, coolly guiding the ball home for his 2nd goal in 3 games.

An important second goal for the Ammies against opponents who now needed to shake off their numerical advantage and push men forward. It looked a tall order for Bromley and would indeed prove to be so.

Salford were playing intelligently, denying their opponents time on the ball and snapping the defensive trap shut whenever Bromley did manage a foray forward. They were also looking for a game-settling 3rd goal and could have had it in the 65th minute. Jordan Higgs’ attempt to play a ball down the line was blocked by Lloyd and the former Stockport man raced into the space that opened up on the left. He made it into the box too, but with options arriving in the middle, tried his luck with a rising drive that crashed into the stanchion behind Gregory’s right-hand upright.

Bugiel was booked for a challenge on Ibou Touray as home frustration grew and Salford could have been home and dry with 20 minutes to play. Piergianni’s low ball forward found Gaffney who slid a pass through to Lloyd, advancing on the left. The cross was decent and Rooney’s downward header bounced out of the reach of Gregory’s dive and inside his right-hand post. By then though the referee’s whistle had sounded for an infringement and Bromley’s hopes were still alive.

Those hopes could have been bolstered hugely just a minute later as Porter’s cross from wide on the left found Ogedi-Uzokwe on the edge of the 6-yard box, towards the far post. The striker was allowed to rise unattended but was left in despair as his header dropped inches wide of the target.

That was a big chance for Bromley but crucially it had not been taken. Salford learned their lesson, tightened up their defensive armour and went in search of that decisive 3rd goal. Another neat Piergianni pass found Walker this time and he sliced open Bromley’s defence, moving the ball into the area. Rooney was onto it in a flash, prodding in a first-time effort that Gregory did well to save, dropping to his left and extending a strong arm.

With 9 minutes left Touray was yellow-carded for a foul on Bugiel and Salford’s last chance of the afternoon was created soon afterwards. Walker’s cross from the right looked destined for the head of Rooney but a defender got there in the nick of time to nod it behind for a corner.

Graham Alexander brought on Liam Hogan & Lois Maynard for Walker & Lloyd with 5 minutes to play and Bromley’s late attempts to rescue something from the afternoon were coming to nothing. There would be one last opportunity however and in the 1st minute of time added on Kyle De Silva swung in a cross from the right, with Porter meeting it at the near post. The ball was bundled past Neal but Porter lost his footing and Pond got in to prod behind before the striker could recover his balance.

There would be several more minutes to play but Bromley couldn’t create anything more and the Ammies had 3 more points in the bag.


Another very solid away display from Salford who overcame a slow-ish start to lead at the break. Mekki’s dismissal did Bromley no favours of course but in the end the Ammies were well worth their win.

On a surface that seemed a little difficult Salford found their composure, defended with the strength we have increasingly seen over recent games and took chances at strategically important times. You can’t really ask for any more on the road and it is particularly satisfying to return from one of these long-distance trips with all of the points.

Bromley saw a lot of the ball at times, particularly in the first half but largely they were prevented from doing too much with it. The Ravens lacked a cutting edge and Salford's defence is in no mood to do any favours at present. A goal during the home side's spell on top might have changed the course of the game but they were unable to find it.

A good afternoon’s work for Salford and this nicely developing unbeaten run – and knack of keeping clean sheets – has pushed them up into 4th place. With successive home games to come it seems like the latest promotion push may just have found its legs…

Attendance: 2,020 (83 Salford