S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Bolton Wanderers
Matt Gilks
Gethin Jones
Ricardo Almeida Santos
Ryan Delaney
Nathan Delfouneso

Isgrove 79'

Eoin Doyle
1 goals for Eoin Doyle

Miller 73'

Antoni Sarcevic (c)
Ali Crawford

White 82'

Andrew Tutte
Alex Baptiste
Peter Kioso
Salford City FC
Vaclav Hladky
Ibou Touray
Jason Lowe
Tom Clarke
Ash Hunter

Dieseruvwe 79'

Di'Shon Bernard
George Boyd

Burgess 46'

Jordan Turnbull
Oscar Threlkeld
Brandon Thomas-Asante

Andrade 46'

Ian Henderson (c)
Billy Crellin
Liam Gordon
Jak Hickman
Tom White
Ronan Darcy
Shaun Miller
Lloyd Isgrove
William Evans
Ash Eastham
Luke Armstrong
Bruno Andrade
Luke Burgess
Mani Dieseruvwe
Martin Smith
Head Coach - Ian Evatt
Manager - Richie Wellens
Match Officals
Referee - Darren Drysdale
Assistant Referee - Alan Clayton
Assistant Referee - Stephen Wade
Fourth Official - Ollie Yates

Close Team Sheet


A frustrating evening for Salford City at the University of Bolton Stadium as Bolton Wanderers scored a goal in each half to record a second home win of the season. Striker Eoin Doyle put the Trotters ahead before the interval and the Ammies went further behind during the second half courtesy of Jordan Turnbull’s own goal. Lots of possession for Richie Wellens’ side, yet relatively few clear cut chances and the new manager will use a rare 8 day break from playing to instill his own ideas on the training ground.

There were a couple of changes from the side that lost at Cambridge last week, with Di'Shon Bernard & George Boyd replacing Ash Eastham and the injured James Wilson.

The early pace was brisk enough and the first chance of the evening came along in the 5th minute. Luton Town loanee Peter Kioso curled in a decent cross from the right, with Doyle getting a slightly heavy touch in the middle, allowing advancing Salford keeper Václav Hladký to push the ball clear.

The Ammies went straight down the other end, winning a free-kick that Ash Hunter drove into the defensive wall.

That would be the sum of the notable action from the first 10 minutes, but after that the Ammies began to enjoy quite a bit of possession. Oscar Threlkeld – with Jason Lowe, one of two former Trotters representing Salford – passed inside from the right to find Hunter in some space. A 25-yard right-footer followed but the effort was always rising and cleared Matt Gilkes’ crossbar by some distance.

Bolton forced a couple of corners after that, but they were dealt with comfortably enough by the visiting defence. The game hadn’t quite burst into life yet and both defences were doing well. The first half was approaching is mid-point when Lowe’s diagonal ball from deep on the right almost played Brandon Thomas-Asante clear, but a Bolton foot snaked out to make a timely interception.

Bolton pressed forward immediately, with Doyle sliding a pass left to pick out Gethin Jones, who had some space to work in. The angle was a little tight and a well-struck low effort was gathered by Hladký at the base of his near post.

A decent opportunity for Wanderers and they would go one better in the 23rd minute. It was a decent move too as possession was moved inside from the left for Antoni Sarcevic. The Ammies were a tad stretched, and a low pass into the box on the right found DOYLE in too much space. The Irish striker has scored plenty of goals on behalf of Richie Wellens, but this time the new Salford gaffer was on the receiving end as a low shot flicked off Hladký’s foot on its way inside the far post.

Salford tried to find a quick response and very nearly produced one in the 27th minute. Threkeld squared inside from the right and Thomas-Asante found space to unleash a rising left-foot 25-yard drive that veteran keeper Gilkes – making his Wanderers debut – stretched to push over the crossbar.

Close for the Ammies, but Bolton soon produced another threat when Ali Crawford tried his luck from distance. The shot looked to be on target, but a deflection off a defender took the sting out of it, with the ball dropping for Hladký to collect.

The home side had a good spell of possession after that with Sarcevic collecting a throw-in from the right before advancing into the box. The former Plymouth man whipped a pacey, low delivery right across the face of goal, but nobody was able to get a touch.

Sarcevic was involved again 11 minutes before half-time, lofting in a cross from the left that dropped just over Nathan Delfouneso on the edge of the penalty area.

Salford were playing some neat stuff at times, although most if it was in the space between the halfway line and the home penalty area. A particularly patient spell of passing almost paid dividends as Turnbull’s pass found Ian Henderson, who turned right-of-centre and 22-yards before lifting in a lobbed effort that dropped over the bar.

Crawford saw another long-distance effort soar over the Salford crossbar 5 minutes before the break and neither side could create anything else during the time that remained.


An evenish first half, with both sides to some extent struggling to turn their possession into clear cut goalscoring opportunities. Crucially though, Bolton had the lead, and the visitors made a couple of changes during the half-time break. On came Luke Burgess & Bruno Andrade for Boyd & Thomas-Asante respectively, with one of the newcomers almost making an immediate impact.

Tom Clarke’s long ball from deep on the right was uncharacteristically missed by Ricardo Santos, and suddenly Andrade was racing into the area. A defender was closing in, Gilkes had advanced to narrow the angles but Andrade will be disappointed with a snatched right-footer from 14 yards that dragged well side of the far upright.

That could have been a 3rd goal in 3 games for Andrade but Bolton had survived the scare and would soon have to dig in as their opponents began to seriously dominate possession. Neat stuff, yet penetrating the white wall of Bolton defenders would prove to be a challenge.

In the 54th minute Threlkeld found himself in some space on the left, well outside the box and he elected to have a go. The shot was nicely struck and took a nick on its way to goal, with Gilkes forced to scoop up the loose ball after making a low parry.

The Ammies would see a lot more of the ball after that and a couple of minutes later Burgess nudged a pass out to Bernard on the right. A first-time ball gave Andrade the chance to get away from his man, and he did well to pick out Bernard’s unattended run into the box with a clever squared pass. The Manchester United loanee had white shirts congregating in front of him, so unselfishly played a pass back to the edge of the box where Lowe arrived to slam in a shot that was bravely blocked at close range by Kioso.

A decent opportunity, but again Gilkes had not been tested and Bolton’s determined, well organised defence was proving a tough nut to crack.

Andrade almost found a way through when a darting run was finished off by a cross into the middle, only for a defender to get in front of Henderson and punt clear.

Bolton had been quiet since the restart but Sarcevic managed a shot on the hour after Alex Baptiste tucked a pass back into his path. This is a player who can finish from range, but he got his angles wrong here and the ball flew yards wide of Hladký’s right-hand upright.

Salford continued to press and probe but were struggling to find a way through to goal. Hunter swung in a free kick from the right but at the far post the ball skimmed off Clarke’s head and out of play.

If the Ammies hadn’t been quite knocking at the door, they’d certainly been striding up the garden path. It seemed that the next goal would surely go the way of the visitors, but football is rarely as simple a game as that.

In the 67th minute a defensive header fell for Jones, on halfway and tight to the touchline. The full-back lifted a long ball towards the edge of the box, and although Doyle set off in chase, Turnbull seemed odds on to deal with the danger. Hladký had advanced to assist his central defender but could only watch in astonishment as TURNBULL met the dropping ball with a first-time lob from left-of-centre and 19 yards out that sailed over the keeper’s head before bouncing once and dropping into the empty net.

A goal out of nothing for Wanderers, and only Turnbull himself will be able to explain what he was trying to do.

With a shade over 20 minutes left to play the Ammies were up against it and needed a goal quickly. That would prove easier side than done, although in the 70th minute Andrade did well to work the ball to Hunter whose low 15-yard angled drive from the left came back off Gilkes’ feet.

A presentable chance not converted and the next one could have put Bolton 3 goals up. Doyle displayed skill and balance, shimmying past a challenge as he advanced towards the edge of the box before slipping a pass to the right for Sarcevic. Delfouneso was well placed in the middle but Sarcevic fancied his chances, lifting in a chipped effort that dropped harmlessly over the bar towards the far post.

Salford were still on top in terms of possession, but the goal they so desperately required was refusing to materialise. Sixteen minutes from time Ibou Touray got into the box on the left before drilling a low shot at Gilkes who saved with the minimum of fuss at the near post.

Mani Dieseruvwe replaced Hunter with just over 10 minutes to play, but Wanderers were within sight of a very valuable 3 points and were displaying no immediate signs of relinquishing that prize.

The next opportunity went to Bolton as Crawford had a go from distance, only to once again fail to keep his effort down.

Time was running out for the Ammies and in truth they weren’t looking likely to haul themselves back into contention. With 3 minutes to play Bolton substitute Shaun Miller was played into space on the left from where he delivered a teasing low ball across the 6-yard box. Kioso slid in to get there but was inches short of making what would have been a decisive contact.

Bolton were finishing strongly and Sarcevic won possession before tricking his way to the edge of the penalty area. Another good chance, but this time he could only place a low 18-yarder straight at Hladký.

That spurned chance wouldn't really matter as Wanderers kept possession efficiently during time added on and the last attempt came when Miller hit a low 25-yarder that was too close to Hladký.


A first ever visit to Bolton Wanderers is another landmark for the Ammies, but the result wasn’t quite as illustrious as the surroundings. Salford never really seemed to click into a smooth attacking rhythm, with most of their best football played too far away from Gilkes’ goal.

A tremendous amount of possession, especially during the second half, yielded relatively few chances although a bit of composure here and there might well have made a big difference to the outcome. Bolton's 2nd goal knocked the wind out of Salford sails, with the Ammies never really threatening a comeback.

It’s all about fine margins and taking the chances that come your way. This evening Salford didn’t manage to do that and won’t be pleased at the way either goal was conceded either.

Boss Richie Wellens has a little time now to ponder his options before Bradford City visit the Peninsula Stadium on 21st November. It would be no surprise to see a much different level of performance during that game after the new manager has made his decisions and his feelings known.