S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Joel Dixon
Connor Brown
Matthew Platt (c)
Scott Quigley
Yellow card for Scott Quigley
Joshua Kay
Thomas Beadling

Biggins 71'

Scott Wilson
Kgosietsile Ntlhe

Brough 44'

Christopher Taylor
Jayden Reid

Angus 71'

Luke James
Salford City FC
Vaclav Hladky
Ibou Touray
Jason Lowe
Yellow card for Jason Lowe
Ash Eastham (c)
Tom Clarke
Yellow card for Tom Clarke
Ash Hunter
1 goals for Ash Hunter

Towell 61'

Bruno Andrade

Elliott 75'

Di'Shon Bernard
Luke Burgess

Turnbull 75'

Alex Denny
Ian Henderson
Joshua Lillis
Patrick Brough
Jason Taylor
Sam Hird
Dior Angus
Harrison Biggins
Nick Hayes
Tom Elliott
Jordan Turnbull
Richie Towell
Yellow card for Richie Towell

Smith 83'

Mani Dieseruvwe
Martin Smith
Yellow card for Martin Smith
Manager - David Dunn
Manager - Richie Wellens
Match Officals
Referee - Tom Nield
Assistant Referee - Joe Simpson
Assistant Referee - Billy Smallwood
Fourth Official - Adam Herczeg

Close Team Sheet


Another cracking finish from Ash Hunter secured all 3 points for Salford City following a tough 90 minutes at Holker Street. The Ammies had to dig in to earn their win, a first league victory away from the Peninsula Stadium since the trip to Stevenage on the first Saturday of October.

There was a single change to the XI that started Wednesday’s game at Carlisle, with Alex Denny replacing Jordan Turnbull in the midfield engine room. Among the substitutes was Richie Towell, involved for the first time since suffering injury during the home draw with Tranmere Rovers almost 2 months ago.

With Barrow fans allowed to watch this game, albeit in restricted numbers, there was a little bit of much-missed atmosphere as the teams ran out at Holker Street. That could have turned to instant disappointment as Bruno Andrade felt he had been clipped inside the penalty area within a minute, but the referee ignored his appeals for a spot-kick.

Otherwise the game started quietly, with only a booking for Salford defender Tom Clarke to trouble the statisticians during the opening 10 minutes. The Ammies were looking comfortable in possession without threatening the home goal whilst Barrow took time to get into their stride.

The first incident of note was an apparent injury suffered by one of the assistant referees, with the game delayed by a minute or two as the fourth official took over the flag.

Around the quarter hour mark Barrow striker Scott Quigley had a go from distance, but that one was never likely to worry Václav Hladký. It was Salford’s turn next, as within a minute Hunter’s low cross from the left was flicked up and towards goal by Ian Henderson at the near post. Home keeper Joel Dixon reacted impressively, raising his hands instinctively to push the ball upwards then collecting it safely as it dropped back down.

The Ammies were looking more dangerous now, with Lowe getting to a clearance in front of Quigley before hitting a 25-yarder over the crossbar. Ibou Touray was the next to conjure a threat, drilling a low cross from the left into the 6-yard box. Matthew Platt was on hand for the Bluebirds to punt clear, and it looked as if the game was springing into life.

Barrow were still struggling to make much of an attacking impact but had a penalty shout turned down in the 21st minute. Connor Brown launched a high ball forward from the halfway line and very wide on the right. With back to goal Quigley got onto the end of it, nudging the ball right before turning past Di’Shon Bernard and getting into the box. Luke James nodded the bouncing ball forward aiming to pick out Quigley’s run, only for the striker to go down as Bernard attempted to catch up. The referee had a good think before outraging Quigley by showing him a yellow card for simulation.

The referee dropped down the Barrow fans’ popularity chart again soon afterwards as Henderson tried a clever lob from the right edge of the box. The diving Dixon didn’t appear to get a touch on the ball as it dropped beyond his right-hand post, yet the referee awarded Salford a corner.

With the already lively crowd now nursing a sense of injustice, their team responded by applying real pressure on the visiting goal. Tom Beadling slid a diagonal pass from to the left into the far side of the box, where Quigley bustled his way towards the line. Bernard was in close attendance, yet Quigley found just enough space to slam in a low, acutely angled effort that Hladký saved with his feet at the near post.

A pattern seemed to be establishing itself as we reached the half-hour, with Salford seeing plenty of the ball and Barrow looking dangerous when they had the chance to push forward. For the visitors Touray found a little space, 25-yards out and left-of-centre but could only lift his shot over the target.

Thirteen minutes before the break Touray was engaged in defensive duties, getting his head to a long, lofted pass forward. The ball fell for Quigley who fired in a powerful rising drive that seemed destined for Hladký’s top left-hand corner. The Czech keeper has pulled off some tremendous saves this season yet excelled himself here, flying to his left to push the ball out for a corner.

Quigley had another go in the 39th minute, moving inside from the right before hitting a low 22-yard left-footer that flicked off a defender to be comfortably collected by Hladký. The pressure continued as Kgosi Ntlhe collected a clearance on the left before dropping a cross into the middle. Clarke got up to head the ball on, with Josh Kay’s looping header beyond the far post dropping onto the roof of the net.

Chances for Barrow, but manager David Dunn was forced into a change as the injured Ntlhe was replaced by former Ammie Paddy Brough.

There were 6 minutes of time to be added and during the 3rd of those the Bluebirds went close to taking the lead. Jayden Reid touched on a cross from the left for Quigley to break into the box. The busy forward was thwarted again as his low, angled 12-yarder came back off Hladký’s legs although Reid appeared to be nicely placed to slot home the loose ball. There was some defensive pressure from Salford skipper Ash Eastham yet Reid will have been disappointed after lifting his 12-yarder over the bar.

That was about it for a first half that started sedately yet yielded incident and chances as it progressed. The Ammies had seen far more of the ball than their opponents, yet Barrow would have been frustrated at not converting one or two of their chances.


Salford emerged from the changing room in determined mood, pushing their opponents back from the restart. In the 49th minute Touray nudged a pass out to Hunter on the left and he skipped inside James to the left edge of the penalty area, about 12 yards out from the goal line. What followed might have been viewed as an attempt to cross from another player, but HUNTER has form in these situations and curled a fantastic high effort that beat Dixon conclusively on its way inside the far post.

Another great finish from a player who moves to the joint-top of Salford’s league goal chart after this 6th of the season.

The Ammies had edged ahead yet could – and probably should – have lost their advantage within another minute of play. A slip from Bernard outside his own box allowed Reid to nip in before advancing centrally. Salford were stretched and an unselfish pass to the left found Quigley in space. A great opportunity for a quick leveller but Quigley was left horrified as he could only drag a low, right-footed 16-yarder outside Hladký’s right-hand post.

Something of a scare for Richie Wellens’ side but they recovered quickly and began to dominate possession again in its aftermath. Barrow, as they had since the middle of the first half, looked capable of snatching a goal when they pushed forward and could have had one in the 56th minute. A long, high ball forward from Dixon dropped towards the left-hand side of the Salford box, with Quigley getting up well to place a header inside.
James wrong-footed Touray on the edge of the area before turning smartly to slam a shot just wide of the target.

The Bluebirds were soon pressing again as a free-kick from deep on the left was headed to the right-hand side of the area by Quigley. Reid was on the end if but Hladký had positioned himself on the edge of the 6-yard box and once again deflected away a low, angled strike off his legs.

Salford were forced into a change soon after that as goal scorer Hunter picked up an injury, to be replaced by Towell.

Barrow had done well since going behind and Brown was next to cause problems for the Salford defence after he tricked his way past a couple of players on the right. His low cross towards the near post was decent but
a defensive touch deflected the ball behind for a corner that was cleared. Kay’s advance on the left seconds later was followed by a low ball from the left that made its way through the 6-yard box with nobody able to get a touch.

It had been a while since the Ammies had posed a serious threat but midway through the second half Henderson’s pass into the right-hand side of the area found Andrade in space. The former Lincoln man moved the ball onto his left foot as he cut inside yet could only lift a 12-yarder over the crossbar.

Barrow made a couple of changes with 20 minutes to play as Beadling & Reid made way for Harrison Biggins & Dior Angus.

The Bluebirds were still looking for an equaliser and a long ball from deep on the right was met by Quigley, left-of-centre and on the edge of the box. A downwards header followed but there was nowhere near enough pace on it to upset Hladký.

With 15 minutes left the Ammies introduced Jordan Turnbull for Luke Burgess and Tom Elliott for Andrade as they looked to hold on to that narrow lead.

Barrow had no option other than to commit men forward and Kay’s lofted cross from the left dropped towards the far post. Quigley went down on the edge of the 6-yard box, again claiming a penalty, but was again denied denied by the referee. At the other end Touray’s powerful run on the left was finished off by a low, pacey ball into the box that the sprawling Dixon had to push around the far post for a corner.

With 11 minutes to play Towell and Chris Taylor contested a loose ball just outside the Barrow penalty area, with both players requiring treatment after an inelegant clash. Taylor recovered first but after Towell regained his feet, he had to leave the field with Martin Smith slotting into midfield in his place. A blow for the Irish midfielder who also picked up a yellow card for his troubles and we must hope that this knock turns out to be relatively trivial.

The Ammies had dug in defensively since that rash of Barrow chances and were proving hard to break down during the closing stages. Quigley tried a left-of-centre effort from distance in the 82nd minute only to see the ball drop harmlessly wide of the far upright.

There were 3 minutes left on the clock as Kay slipped a pass into the area for Quigley and after a tussle with Bernard the home striker hit the deck again, appealing frantically for a penalty. A risk, surely, for a player already on a yellow for simulation but the referee waved away his claims and kept his card in his pocket.

A Brough cross from the left zipped across the area to be scrambled away by the visiting defence before the fourth official indicated that 5 minutes of time would be added on. During the 2nd of those Taylor ignored some decent options to hit a shot from some distance that soared high over the target.

Smith and Lowe were booked as the Ammies got men behind the ball and the former really should have put the game to bed in the 95th minute. Henderson set off on a lung-bursting right-flank break, travelling from his own half almost to the Barrow penalty area. With defenders converging, the experienced forward rolled a great square ball inside, right into the path of the supporting Smith. A golden opportunity but the midfielder managed to kick the ball against his own leg from where it rolled harmlessly through to a relieved Dixon.

That could have been a costly miss as the Bluebirds launched a last-ditch assault on the Salford goal. We’d already had the 5 minutes when Brown latched onto a cleared corner. The full-back had two shots charged down before an offside flag came to the Ammies’ rescue, and time had run out for the home side.


A game settled by a little bit of individual brilliance, but the Ammies had to work very hard to take the points back home. Long spells of comfortable and composed possession, especially during the first half, restricted Barrow’s chances to get forward. Even so, the Bluebirds will be disappointed not to have taken a share of the spoils when they look back on the opportunities they did manage to create.

All credit to Salford this afternoon though – they bounced back from midweek disappointment and put in a great shift against determined opposition who had the benefit of supporters urging them on.

You can’t always win prettily, and this sort of result might just prove to be invaluable at the business end of the season.

With that disappointing run of away form behind them, the Ammies can look forward to back-to-back home games as Cheltenham Town and Newport County visit the Peninsula Stadium over the next 10 days.