S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

Mark Cousins
Cheye Alexander
Elliott Johnson
Craig Robson (c)
Charlee Adams
Jack Taylor
Wesley Fonguck
1 goals for Wesley Fonguck
Josh Walker

Tarpey '70

David Tutonda
Dan Sweeney

Reynolds '51

Manny Duku

Barham '59

Salford City FC
Chris Neal
Scott Wiseman
Yellow card for Scott Wiseman
Ibou Touray
Carl Piergianni
Adam Rooney (c)
Danny Lloyd

Maynard '87

Tom Walker
1 goals for Tom Walker

Hogan '75

Danny Whitehead
Mark Shelton
1 goals for Mark Shelton
Nathan Pond
Ror Gaffney
1 goals for Ror Gaffney
Rihards Matrevics
Callum Reynolds
Dave Tarpey
Ephron Mason-Clark
Jack Barham
Max Crocombe
Liam Hogan
Lois Maynard
Devante Rodney
Dennis Politic
Manager - John Still
Manager - Graham Alexander
Match Officals
Referee - Adrian Quelch
Assistant Referee - Paul Evans
Assistant Referee - Darren Knox
Fourth Official - Grzegorz Kornasiewicz

Close Team Sheet


Salford City returned to the summit of the National League after coming from a goal down to beat Barnet 3-1. The Ammies turned in a great second half performance at The Hive to secure the points and extend their unbeaten run to an impressive 15 games.

Manager Graham Alexander kept faith with the side that drew consecutive home league games over recent weeks, and the bench was unchanged from Saturday.

On a chilly evening in the London Borough of Harrow it was Salford who created the game’s first opportunity of note. Danny Whitehead’s pass found Scott Wiseman on the right and the full-back slid a ball to Adam Rooney on the edge of the area. A clever nudge to the right gave Tom Walker a chance to attack the line and he cut a decent low ball towards the near post. Rooney was on the end of it but couldn’t keep down a first-time effort that cleared the bar by some distance.

The Bees followed up with a chance of their own, courtesy of David Tutonda’s run on the left. A low cut-back fell for Jack Taylor, a yard outside the box but his low effort was comfortably stopped as Chris Neal dropped to his left.

An early chance apiece but Salford should have gone ahead in the 9th minute. Danny Lloyd’s cross from the left was met by a firm Carl Piergianni header and Barnet keeper Mark Cousins did well, diving to his right to push the effort away. The ball went loose and Rory Gaffney got there first, only to stab a low shot wide of the keeper’s right-hand upright.

Barnet shrugged off that scare to push forward themselves and Josh Walker made good ground wide on the left. Once again the ball inside was decent and Wes Fonguck had time and space to float in a left-of-centre effort from the edge of the box. Not a bad attempt but he didn’t get his angles quite right and the ball dropped outside the far post.

A lively start to the game and on the quarter-hour Lloyd’s corner from the left was headed well wide by Piergianni. The Ammies were looking dangerous and Walker cut inside from the right before aiming a left-footed delivery towards the far post. Lloyd was lurking with intent but Cousins did his job, diving to the right to make a catch.

After that Lloyd drilled in a low free-kick from the left, just outside the box, but a home defender got there in time to make a block. Another chance followed quickly as Walker passed inside from the right with Whitehead moving forward to collect. The midfielder is certainly capable of sticking away the odd shot from distance but this time his low effort was well wide of Cousins’ left-hand post.

It seemed as if the Ammies might be getting on top, but Barnet looked dangerous when attacking along their left-flank. In the 27th minute Craig Robson had space to deliver a cross from the left, picking out Josh Walker on the near side, just outside the 6-yard box. A neat bit of ball juggling was followed up by a hooked effort on goal but despite the inventiveness involved, Neal wasn’t troubled unduly.

Just past the half-hour Barnet’s Manny Duku controlled well just outside the area before turning to loft a left-of-centre effort towards goal. Another worthy effort from the Bees but this one lacked pace and Neal was able to save comfortably enough. Taylor had the next sight of Salford’s goal but despite having time and space in abundance, could only direct a low 30-yarder well wide of Neal’s right-hand upright.

Barnet were having a good spell now and Dan Sweeney whipped in a cross from the right flank. Josh Walker just failed to make contract towards the near post and behind him Piergianni glanced a header behind for a corner.

That set-piece was cleared by the visiting defence and 6 minutes from the interval Salford had another glorious opportunity to score. The Ammies were pressing and the ball eventually fell for Whitehead, inside the penalty area on the left. A little chipped cross into the middle dropped nicely for Wiseman,but with the goal gaping he could only lift a first-time effort over the bar.

Another very good chance not taken and Salford paid the price for their profligacy less than 3 minutes before half-time. Barnet’s Cheye Alexander’s turn of pace on the right was finished off by a low ball across the penalty area. There may have been a touch from someone at the near post but the ball found its way to FONGUCK on the edge of the area. There was no blue shirt to get in the way this time and the Barnet man placed a good finish to Neal’s left. recording his 6th goal of the season.

A real blow for Salford, who did not deserve to be behind, but for the second time in 4 days they found a response within minutes. The half had just entered its minute of time added on when Nathan Pond, supporting his attack, floated a great ball over Barnet’s back-line and into the left-hand side of the box. GAFFNEY was the intended target and he made absolutely no mistake, placing a first-time effort across Cousins and inside the far post.

There was time for very little else before Mr. Quelch blew for half-time and that equaliser had given the Ammies a huge just before the tea and oranges.


Having equalised just before the break Salford City compounded Barnet’s misery by going ahead within 2 minutes of the restart. The Ammies started off at a brisk tempo and Gaffney delivered a cross from the left, aimed at the near post. Big defender Sweeney appeared to have done his job when he cut the delivery out but his control left something to be desired. Lloyd pounced on the chance to slam in an effort that was blocked and when the Ball went loose
WALKER moved in to slot a low 10-yarder into the net.

An ideal start to the new half from Salford’s point of view and they would never really look back from that point on. The Bees were struggling to contain their opponents’ ability to move the ball around quickly and Lloyd jinked inside Sweeney from the left before playing a low pass to the near post. Gaffney looked to get onto that one, but Barnet’s Alexander just about managed to get in with a clearance.

Sweeney had endured a pretty miserable start to his personal second half and was replaced by Callum Reynolds in the 51st minute. He was soon pressed into action as well, blocking Gaffney’s drive from the left following a good pass from Lloyd.

Barnet would continue to play their passing game, building from the back and from a 56th minute Elliott Johnson corner Salford only just managed to clear their lines. The Ammies countered and Gaffney’s cross from the left found Whitehead whose looping header appeared to be dropping under the crossbar. Cousins did well, instantly adjusting his footing before stretching to til the ball over for a corner.

The Ammies were dominating the game as a succession of attacks put Barnet’s rearguard under pressure. A number of crosses were blocked and cleared as Salford looked to extend their lead and a goal was very much in the air. It arrived in the 62nd minute after Rooney’s pass to the right sent Wiseman almost to the line. The cut-back was a good one, met by MARK SHELTON on the edge of the 6-yard box and he slid a low effort wide of Cousins and inside his right-hand post.

A very nicely worked goal from Salford and they merited a 2 goal advantage on the back of a commanding second half showing. The Bees had by no means given up however and Josh Walker chased a ball into the corner, on Barnet’s right. A pass was tucked by for Alexander who moved inside to the edge of the box before testing Neal with a low drive.

Wiseman was booked soon after that for a foul on Tutonda as he threatened to break through on Barnet’s left. A couple of minutes later home substitute Jack Barham moved into space just outside the box on the right then lifted an effort high over the crossbar.

Salford brought on Liam Hogan for Walker with 15 minutes to play, looking to close down Barnet’s already sporadic attacking activity. It was a tactic that worked although the Bees carved out a decent chance with 7 minutes to play. Fonguck and Taylor moved possession to the right where substitute Dave Tarpey tried a low, angled effort that was deflected for a corner beyond the far post. Barham headed over the target from the corner and there seemed no way back for Barnet against a Salford side who defended with tenacity when the need arose.

The Bees plugged away and might just have set up a grandstand finish. With 3 minutes to play Tutonda passed inside from the left and Fonguck drove forward through the inside left channel. A flicked pass into the area found Johnson but his low effort was blocked by Neal who had advanced quickly for that purpose.

That was the last sniff of a goal Salford would allow their hosts to have. The visitors finished the game strongly and might have snatched a 4th goal deep into time added on. Wiseman’s low delivery from the right was sliced by Barnet skipper Johnson, with possession falling for Rooney on the edge of the area. From left-of-centre Salford’s leading scorer might have been fancied to finish the evening off in style, yet his effort dropped outside Cousins’ left-hand upright.


Make no mistake, this was a very good Salford City performance against a decent footballing side. The Ammies shaded the first half, creating 2 gilt-edged chances before Barnet went ahead. Gaffney’s equaliser would prove crucial and Salford emerged for the second half looking positive and moving the ball around at a noticeably snappier pace.

After Walker’s opportunist strike at the start of the second half the Ammies never looked back and in the end ran out worthy winners. On a more clinical evening the margin of victory could have been greater but this certainly a very satisfying evening’s work.

The top of the National League is tight and competitive, with Leyton Orient’s lead lasting a bare 3 days. Salford face another long trip on Saturday to play Eastleigh, the side who denied the O’s this evening, earning a 1-1 draw.

Not an easy task for Salford but if they can repeat this evening’s form they have nothing to fear. Consistency as well as quality will be the keys to success this season and we certainly have plenty of both.

Attendance: 1,243 ( 81 from Salford)