S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

View Team Sheet

Team Sheet

AFC Fylde
Jay Lynch
Zaine Francis Angol
Neill Byrne
Jordan Tunnicliffe
Andy Bond

Philliskirk '70

James Hardy

Brewitt '46

Ryan Croasdale
Danny Rowe
Luke Burke
Ash Hemmings

Gime Toure '46

Jim Kellermann
Yellow card for Jim Kellermann
Salford City FC
Chris Neal
Scott Wiseman
Ibou Touray
Mark Shelton
Nathan Pond
Yellow card for Nathan Pond
Carl Piergianni
Tom Walker
1 goals for Tom Walker
Danny Whitehead`
Adam Rooney
1 goals for Adam Rooney
Rory Gaffney

Rodney '65

Nick Haughton

Hogan '72

Danny Philliskirk
Joe Cardle
Gime Toure
Serhat Tasdemir
Tom Brewitt
Max Crocombe
Liam Hogan
James Hooper
Devante Rodney
Kieran Glynn
Manager - Dave Challinor
Manager - Graham Alexander
Match Officals
Referee - Gareth Rhodes
Assistant Referee - David Hunt
Assistant Referee - Adam Burgess
Fourth Official - Michael Crusham

Close Team Sheet


The Ammies produced a great performance at Mill Farm this evening as goals from Tom Walker and Adam Rooney brought AFC Fylde’s unbeaten start to an end. This was a thoroughly deserved win for Graham Alexander’s side after a largely frustrating start to their away campaign, against a side who had not lost a home league game for almost 7 months.

There were a couple of changes from the side that drew at Dagenham on Saturday. With midfielder Lois Maynard away on international duty with St. Kitts & Nevis Mark Shelton was handed a start alongside Danny Whitehead. Danny Lloyd’s second yellow card at the weekend earned him a one-game suspension so Nick Haughton was slotted into the starting eleven.

There were a couple of familiar faces in Fylde’s starting line-up this evening as keeper Jay Lynch and winger Ashley Hemmings faced their former club.

Salford had started quite a few of their previous away games positively and this one began in a similar fashion. Within the opening minute possession fell for Carl Piergianni inside the box but he could only drag a low shot wide of Jay Lynch’s right-hand upright. Soon after that Nick Haughton beat Fylde's offside trap but from the left could only deliver a cross that drifted harmlessly out of play.

The Ammies were on top early on and in the 7th minute Rory Gaffney got up on the edge of the box, directing a header back to Walker. A run inside opened up a sight of goal but Walker’s low left-footer was anticipated and blocked by Jordan Tunnicliffe.

Fylde would look dangerous on the break at times and Hemmings pushed forward at speed on the right after Ibou Touray’s slip inside Coasters’ territory. A pass inside picked out Jim Kellermann whose right-footed 20-yarder spun up into the air off Piergianni before dropping into the waiting arms of Chris Neal.

The Coasters countered again in the 11th minute with James Hardy and Danny Rowe combining neatly on the left. A brace from Rowe had helped Fylde to an impressive 3-1 win at Ebbsfleet on Saturday but here his effort was blocked by Nathan Pond. The former Fleetwood defender did well again, this time getting in the way of Ryan Croasdale's effort following good work on the right from Luke Burke.

A decent little spell for the home side but Salford were soon back on the offensive. Haughton and Walker moved possession to the right for Scott Wiseman who got into the box before drilling a low cross inside. There were blue shirts closing in but Neill Byrne did well, clearing first time from the edge of the six-yard box. Haughton managed to get to the loose ball but from just outside the area and left-of-centre his effort on goal was charged down.

Walker drove forward through the inside-left channel next but his shot from more than 25 yards out was always rising and failed to trouble Lynch. Salford were knocking at the door and Haughton’s corner from the left was contested by Piergianni on the far side of the penalty area. Despite appearing to be held by Byrne the former Boston defender headed towards goal and Rooney nodded the ball on. The effort lacked power and Fylde managed to clear their lines, but the Ammies were soon rolling forward again.

Rooney stretched to meet a Walker lobbed cross from the left but he couldn’t quite get there and the assistant’s flag was up in any case. Less than a minute later Haughton and Rooney combined crisply on the left before the former hit a rising effort from left-of-centre that cleared the crossbar by a yard.

Fylde were under the cosh a little bit and in the 22nd minute Gaffney’s back-heel from wide on the right was picked up by Walker. The cross went in low and although Byrne managed to intercept, his clearance wasn’t convincing. Rooney tried to capitalise as he picked up the loose ball before hitting a low 20-yarder that Lynch, getting down well, managed to push away to the right.

At Dagenham last Saturday the Ammies had pressed hard during the game’s opening quarter without managing to get the goal their play merited. This evening’s story would be different with an opening goal coming with 25 minutes played. Rooney controlled the ball, left-of-centre and just outside the area before playing a great pass to the right-hand side of the box. WALKER collected that one and advanced a yard or two before slamming in a 12-yard shot that Lynch got a fair amount of contact on, although not sufficient to prevent the ball dropping inside his left-hand upright.

A goal that Salford had been looking likely to get and they could have doubled the advantage just a couple of minutes later. Rooney picked up the ball on the left and from just inside the box fired in a well-struck shot that flashed past Lynch only to clear his far post by a foot.

Fylde had been pinned back for a while before Walker’s first goal of the season but they responded to it very quickly. Skipper Andy Bond’s pass found Rowe and he burst inside from the right before letting fly with a rising 25-yarder that Neal did well to push over the bar. The corner came in from the right and Croasdale’s shot deflected away to safety off a Salford defender.

A chance or two for the Coasters but this would be Salford’s half and they put together another menacing attack 14 minutes before the interval. Mark Shelton carried the ball through the middle, holding off a challenge before passing to Whitehead. A good ball into the left-hand side of the area picked out Rooney whose attempt to dink a cross into the middle was thwarted by a timely block from Lynch.

Fylde launched another attack in response and Pond was yellow-carded after a heavy challenge on Kellermann. The free-kick was within Rowe’s range but from left-of-centre his shot was headed behind by Rooney at the expense of a corner. Hardy’s delivery from the right fell nicely for Croasdale, only for his header to drop well wide of Neal’s left-hand post.

Nine minutes before half-time Kellermann was booked for an unpleasant challenge on Pond – there may well have been a touch of retribution about that one.

The pace of the game picked up as half-time approached and Haughton pinched possession from Fylde’s Hardy before setting off on a run through the middle. Fortunately for the Coasters Rowe had tracked back with the Salford midfielder, winning possession with a well-timed challenge before coming out on top after Whitehead tried to claim the loose ball. Great play from the Coasters’ top-scorer and he advanced into Salford’s half before sliding a pass to Hemmings on the right. A quick dart inside was followed up by a powerful low shot but the angle was tight and Neal was perfectly positioned to scoop up the ball.

A couple of minutes later there was a carbon copy chance although this time it was Burke who played a pass out to Hemmings. Once again he tried a low shot from the right but Neal was equal to this one too, making a comfortable save at his near post.


An eminently satisfactory first half from the Ammies point of view and the their second started promisingly too. Fylde manager Dave Challinor had replaced Hardy & Hemmings with Tom Brewitt and Gime Touray but initially his side’s attacking endeavours were not particularly successful.

Salford could have got their 2nd goal in the 49th minute after Haughton played a lovely ball from the left into the area, off the outside of his right boot. Whitehead was in plenty of space and he squared the ball towards Rooney only for Brewitt to arrive in the nick of time, punting behind for a corner.

Just a minute or so later Gaffney played Haughton into the left-hand side of the box then set off towards the near post. The low cross came in at a fair lick and neither Gaffney nor Rooney at the far stick could get a touch.

In the 52nd minute the visitors went close again after Gaffney passed to Walker who played a clever ball to the right for Rooney. A rasping, rising drive followed but Lynch reacted well, pushing the effort away to his left.

A good restart for the Ammies but they hadn’t managed to get another goal and Fylde began to see more of the ball. In the 58th minute Kellermann did well to spin away from Touray on the right, then cut inside when confronted by Whitehead. This was dangerous for Salford but the quality of the shot didn’t match that of the build-up as Kellerman’s left-footer from 18 yards and right-of-centre flew many yards wide of the far post.

Generally Salford were defending well, denying their opponents space in key areas and arriving first to deal with balls played into the penalty area. In the 62nd minute however Kellermann was fouled and Rowe was once again able to line up one of his free-kicks. The right-footed shot was powerful but Whitehead was in the way and the loose ball dropped outside of the penalty area. Rowe was onto it quickly and this time tried a left-footer that Neal claimed at the first attempt.

With 25 minutes to play Gaffney – with another good shift under his belt – made way for Devante Rodney. The change was intended to provide fresh attacking legs for the Ammies but it was their hosts who were to look more threatening for a while. Burke’s pass to the right found Toure but faced with a wall of blue shirts he could only crash in a shot that was blocked by Touray and cleared by Haughton.

The Coasters were soon pushing forward again and Kellerman’s pass to the left gave Zaine Francis Angol the chance to cross. For once big striker Toure had escaped the shackles of Piergianni and Pond, rising on the edge of the six-yard box to nod in a header that dropped over the bar.

Some promise there for the Coasters but they suffered a body blow in the 68th minute when Salford scored their 2nd of the evening. Another good passing move from the visitors ended with Haughton whipping a cross in from the right-hand angle of the box. ROONEY met that one in the middle with a close-range header that beat Lynch to record his 7th goal of the season.

The Coasters needed to find a quick way back into the game, although Burke’s lofted cross from the right didn’t seem likely to provide it at first. The ball lifted high into the air but appeared to be dropping just underneath the bar until Neal, taking no chances, stretched to push it behind for a corner.

With a two-goal cushion established the Ammies looked to protect their advantage and Liam Hogan came on for Haughton with 18 minutes to play. That changed ushered in a back three but the Ammies still looked capable of adding to their haul of goals. In the 74th minute Rodney turned smartly on the right but having found some space could only slam a low shot wide of Lynch’s left-hand post.

Time was running out for Fylde whose attempts to play through a solid looking Ammie defence were not bearing fruit. A couple of corners were won but with Piergianni and Pond in fine form Salford were looking relatively comfortable as the game entered its final 10 minutes.

Touray could have wrapped the points up in the 80th minute, surging forward on the left before drilling a low shot across Lynch and narrowly wide of the far post.

The remaining time proved frustrating for Challinor and his men as Salford’s defence stood firm. With less than 2 minutes to play Toure’s nod down fell for Byrne but his left-of-centre 20-yarder lacked conviction, tracing a low path that took the ball well wide of Neal’s left-hand upright.

Four minutes of time added on were negotiated safely by Salford and the referee’s whistle brought down the curtain on an accomplished performance.


A case of 5th time lucky for the Ammies yet anybody watching them for the first time away from home might have wondered how a win had evaded Graham Alexnander’s men up to this point. This was a tremendous performance against a confident, in-form team who are certainly not in the habit of being beaten at their Mill Farm home.

Unlike the game last Saturday Salford got a goal their early pressure merited and a disciplined defensive performance allowed them to hold onto their lead without too many alarms. Fylde’s prolific goal-scorer Rowe was given little chance to hurt the Ammies, with his better moments this evening coming courtesy of set-pieces.

This was a marked improvement on the displays at Sutton United & Gateshead and it seems the Ammies’ away form is beginning to click into gear.

Everyone in a blue shirt played their part in this impressive win - this was a slick, professional performance and the gelling process is obviously well under way. Certainly we can now look forward to those long away trips to come with a refreshed sense of optimism. The 400 or so vocal Ammies who made the journey over to Wesham gave their team a deserved ovation at the end of a very satisfactory evening – here’s to more happy journeys home in the near future!

Attendance: 2,941