S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club


Article posted:

Carlisle United, Salford City, Carlisle United 2-2 Salford City, Danny Whitehead, Ibou TouraySalford City were held to a third consecutive draw away at Carlisle United having come from behind to take the lead, only to be pegged back late in the first half.

The Cumbrians were ahead in the first 10 minutes thanks to Olufela Olomola’s header, but Salford pulled level just before the half hour thanks to Mani Dieseruvwe.

Danny Whitehead then scored from the penalty spot to put Salford ahead before Stefan Scougall equalised in the 43rd minute.

Carlisle had some good chances in the second half that they couldn’t take, before substitute Adam Rooney was denied by goalkeeper Adam Collin late on which left both sides with a share of the spoils, and without a win since the opening day.

However Graham Alexander was content with two points from two long trips this week.

“I don’t think the attitude of our players has ever been questioned, I think they’ve got fantastic attitudes but to go 1-0 down early on was disappointing from our perspective, it was a poor goal from our side really to concede but the response was superb. 

“We scored two goals again away from home which was excellent, but obviously the frustration and disappointment is conceding just before half time. It’s not the first time we’ve conceded just a couple of minutes before the break or the end of the game, and we’ve seen how important it is with today and Tuesday, we could have had maximum points for a little bit of game management towards the end of the half. 

“But it was a difficult game for us over the 95 minutes because I think you could see the tiredness from the week that we’ve had, the lads worked exceptionally hard against Plymouth on Tuesday night and obviously the travelling and everything, we try to look after the boys the best we can but we know what their bodies have been put through and their minds, but that’s when you have to stand up and be counted and show the right mentality and focus to understand the game, understand where you are physically and play accordingly.

“It’s one of them where, for the credit of my players, when we turn the ball over, when we get the ball, we’re looking to score but sometimes, especially today, we left ourselves very open and Carlisle could have scored a couple of goals in the second half but we had a bit of fortune in the second half with them not scoring.

“It’s been a tough week for us, two tough away games you couldn’t get any further apart, but to come away with a point in each game, we’ll see how valuable they are at the end of the season but at least we’ve got a week now to prepare for the next game and look after the boys and make sure they’re full of energy for next Saturday.”

The Ammies return to The Peninsula Stadium on Saturday 31st August when Leyton Orient are the visitors. Seated tickets must be purchased in advance from the ticket office, standing tickets in the West Stand are available on the day. Adults £10, Concessions £5.