S a l f o r d
C i t y
F o o t b a l l
C l u b

Salford City football Club

Academy 92

Article posted:


Academy 92 1-0 Mossley


A sublime finish from Dan Thompson-Edwards was enough to set up a trip to Daisy Hill in the next round of the FA Youth Cup.


Salford City’s return to FA Youth Cup action ended in success as the academy side beat Mossley in their preliminary round tie at Moor Lane. Dan Thompson-Edwards’ goal just before the hour proved to be just enough and a trip to Daisy Hill in the next round awaits.

A wet evening in Salford but a crowd of 200 turned out to have a first look at the club’s academy team. The home side set about their task with enthusiasm and within the first 10 minutes Mani Ogunrinde weaved through the Lilywhite defence before shooting into the side-netting. Skipper Kamar Moncrieffe headed over from Henry Eadie’s cross from the left before Oguninde latched onto Alex Doyle’s ball over the top then fired over from the edge of the penalty area.

A promising start from Salford and Doyle was the next to have a go, winning possession after a clearance before turning to hit a low shot at Mossley keeper Lawrence Gibson.

Salford were certainly knocking at the door with Moncrieffe the next to threaten in the 16th minute. A twisting run gave the number 9 a sight of goal but Mossley were working hard and a defender blocked his shot at the expense of a corner. Thompson-Edwards delivered the set-piece with Sam Adetiloye getting up to put in an 8-yard header that dropped into the arms of Gibson.

The home side were camped in Mossley’s half for long spells, winning corners and looking for a chink in the opposition’s defensive armour. With 18 minutes played Ogunrinde let fly with a low effort from almost 25 yards but Gibson was equal to it, diving to his left to push the ball around the post.

Thompson-Edwards’ corners were the cause of much concern for Mossley and Gibson did well to punch a 22nd minute delivery over the bar for another. This one dropped into the box among a crowd of players and Moncrieffe lunged in to prod an effort wide of the keeper’s right-hand upright.

A difficult opening quarter for the Lilywhites and this far they had hardly ventured over the halfway line. Nevertheless they emerged from another spell of pressure to very nearly snatch a 28th minute lead. Eadie’s defensive header fell for Jake Dunford who tricked and muscled his way into the box before attempting to deceive home keeper George Neave with a shimmy. With the goalkeeper almost grounded Dunford tried a cheeky chipped effort but Neave responded brilliantly, extending his right arm to push the ball up onto the right-hand angle of his post and bar then out for a corner.

Great keeping after a very quiet start to the game for Neave and his defenders had a bit more work to do as Mossley attempted to apply some pressure of their own. Salford were soon back on the offensive themselves however as Ogunrinde slipped cleverly past Dylan Fitzgerald inside his own half before setting off on a run down the left flank. White shirted defenders were retreating desperately but Ogunrinde clipped a low pass inside for Moncrieffe whose momentary hesitation inside the box gave Adam Howarth the chance to slide in with a goal-saving challenge.

Eleven minutes before the break Salford moved the ball from left to right and Sam Wright’s deep cross dropped towards Eadie beyond the far post. It was a difficult chance but the home left-back did well to get in a header that forced Gibson to make a save just inside his right-hand post. The pressure on Mossley’s goal was growing again and the next attack involved Moncrieffe and Doyle before Ibrahim Morris slammed a low ball across the danger area with Ogunrinde just failing to get a decisive touch towards the far post. Within another minute Adetiloye fancied his chances from almost 30 yards but he couldn’t keep the effort down and Gibson remained untroubled.

Salford had done everything but put the ball in the net and after more good work Moncrieffe got in a cross from the left that Morris turned back inside from beyond the far post. Ogurinde got there first but could only turn the ball over the bar and another good chance had not been converted.

Moncrieffe was in creative mood again 4 minutes before half-time as he clipped a pass inside from the left with Morris hitting a low effort that had Gibson diving to his left to push away. Within another 60 seconds Eadie pushed beyond his man on the left but nobody could get a touch to the low cross he drilled across the goalmouth. Once again Mossley were being pinned back and during the half’s final minute Ogunrinde tricked his way into the area on the right only to be denied as his low shot crashed into Gibson and out for yet another corner.

Another Thompson-Edwards corner, this time from the right, caused a fair degree of consternation in the Mossley defence during the first minute of time added on. A scramble ensued with Markell Foulds poking the ball home only to be denied by the assistant’s raised flag.


Somehow we had got to half-time without any goals being scored, but with football being the intriguing game it is Mossley’s only real chance had probably been the closest so far.

The Lilywhites made a change during the interval, with Claudio Costa coming on for Sohrab Sarwari but the pattern of the game remained much the same. Salford pushed forward virtually from the restart but once again Mossley’s defence, marshalled by impressive skipper Howarth, were grafting to keep the home side out.

Salford manager Jamie Russell brought on lofty striker Anointed Chukwu for Morris in the 50th minute and chances continued to materialise. Thompson-Edwards launched another corner a couple of minutes later but Gibson was able to make a save after Doyle got in an effort on goal.

Mossley had been able to conjure relatively little attacking threat yet had worked that great chance for Dunford during the first half. They repeated the trick with 57 minutes played as Howarth forgot his defensive duties for a moment, ranging forward to strike a fierce shot that Neave tipped acrobatically over the crossbar. Once again the Salford keeper had retained his concentration after a period of inactivity to deny the Lilywhites an against-the-run-of-play goal.

Thompson-Edwards had created a few chances for others and had a go himself soon after that, controlling the ball on his chest 18 yards out only to lift a shot over the crossbar. Salford supporters in the crowd might just have been thinking this was shaping up to be “one of those nights” but their side finally got the goal they deserved with 59 minutes played. This time THOMPSON-EDWARDS picked up a clearance just outside the penalty area and centrally positioned. A peach of a shot followed as the Salford man steered the ball just inside Gibson’s left-hand upright. A great finish – it needed to be to beat a keeper in this sort of form – and Salford very much deserved to be ahead.

Harry Hatton came on for Joel Barlow in the aftermath of the goal and Salford could have a second almost straight away. Substitute Chukwu picked up possession on the edge of the box and left-of-centre before hitting a ferocious rising drive that clattered off the underside of the bar before dropping – as adjudged by the officials – onto the goal line Ogunrinde picked up the loose ball and his low effort from the right was blocked and then hefted clear.

Mossley were under the cosh again and Ogunrinde was played into space through the inside right channel in the 63rd minute. Gibson was advancing to close him down so Salford’s number 11 tried a 22-yard lob that dropped not only over the keeper, who could only stand and watch, but also the crossbar.

With 25 minutes left the first yellow card of the evening went to Eadie following a hefty challenge but Salford went agonisingly close to extending their lead immediately afterwards. Yet another Thompson-Edwards corner triggered uncertainty in the visiting defence and Moncrieffe headed downwards only for a white shirted player to hack clear from almost on the line.

There were more chances to come, starting in the 67th minute when Hatton’s pass to the right picked out Ogunrinde’s run and he aimed a low shot at the near post only for Gibson to deflect the ball behind off his feet.

Mossley had been largely pinned back, relieving the pressure only through a few counter-attacks that failed to penetrate Salford’s defence. Now they had to get men forward if their FA Youth Cup campaign was to be saved and they almost had some success in the 70th minute. Howarth won a challenge with Moncrieffe inside the Mossley half before pinging a good pass into the path of Costa on the right. The Lilywhites’ substitute pushed forward on the flank before playing a ball inside, but Donovan Sylvester was gently eased out of possession by a home defender.

Moncrieffe latched onto a Thompson-Edwards through-ball with 14 minutes left but the Salford striker could only plant a shot into the side-netting. In the 81st minute Zack Woodcock’s pass to the left gave Ogunrinde the chance to get behind the defence and into the area. Again Gibson faced a one-on-one, coming out on top once more as he deflected the powerfully hit effort behind for a corner.

There was a blow for the academy side with 7 minutes left as Sam Wright was forced off with an injury. All 3 substitutions had been used up so Salford would have to negotiate the rest of the match with just 10 men.

The numerical disadvantage had no immediate effect as once again Ogunrinde picked up a pass out to the left. A dart into the box took him away from a defender but once again Gibson was there to deny him, blocking the well-hit shot to keep Mossley’s slim hopes alive. Woodcock went close next picking up possession on the edge of the box before getting in an effort that went just wide of the post.

Those slender Mossley hopes took a knock in the 86th minute when Bruno Camora had to go off with an injury. The Lilywhites had used their allocation of substitutes too so the rest of the game would be played as a 10-aside. The visitors looked weary after an evening of almost constant defending and almost conceded a second goal 3 minutes from time when Eadie burst forward on the left before sliding a low shot past the far post.


That was about that as an intruiging cup toe came to an end with Salford progressing thanks to that single strike from Thompson-Edwards. The home side dominated attacking possession to create a host of chances yet were denied time and again, either by Howarth and his defensive colleagues or the gallant Gibson in Mossley’s goal.

The Lilywhites’ chances had been far fewer yet both Dunford and Howarth had gone very close from two of them and on another night the result might just have been different…

There can be no real arguments however – Salford deserved their win, playing good attacking football, defending diligently when required and with a keeper that has already developed the knack of pulling off impressive saves after being little more than a spectator at times.
A good performance with the only disappointment being the number of chances that went begging, many of them good ones. Credit to Mossley – a side very recently assembled who gave a good account of themselves – but it is Salford who will travel to New Sirs in a fortnight for a game against Daisy Hill.